+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to match a Contractor on the map to a user on this site?

Post Likes

How to match a Contractor on the map to a user on this site?

I've had a lot of difficulty finding trustworthy HVAC contractors in my area, so I thought I would look at the map. How can I associate a contractor on the map to a user on this site? I'd like to actually see some of the feedback that a pro has provided prior to contacting/hiring him. I was hoping the map would link to the user's profile, but that does not seem to be the case.

Thanks,

Eric

Post Likes
    Email them and ask. Usernames aren't linked to the company unless its in there signature line like mine.

Post Likes
    I can fully understand the question... however here is something to consider:

Are the usual references one finds online always accurate?
    There has been a rash of folks who had their buddies write a bunch of positive reviews for their businesses over recent years... (whoops )
    Might want to interview a few contractors before one makes a decision based solely on a rating online.

Just some old fashioned common sense advise from an older guy who has seen a lot of things...

What area are you in?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I'm in Montreal, Canada, and the names that show up on the map are:
    "Chauffage et Air Climatisé Walter Wilson Ltée"
    and
    "Climatisation Logan Leroux"

Interviewing them is always something valid to do, but before I even did that much, I would have liked to see what kind of advice/help they have provided on this site to give me an idea of how knowledgable they are and how helpful/open to questions they are. There are several people that I would hire sight unseen based on the type of contributions they provide here, but unfortunately, they are not in my area.

I have spoken to several friends who live around me and no one has an HVAC contractor that they can whole-heartedly recommend.

Thanks,

Eric

Post Likes
    You could look at people's profiles that have Canadian type names... There are a few from canada, not sure about which province/area, that post regularly and are really sharp guys but none of their usernames are popping in my head at the moment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benze View Post
    I'm in Montreal, Canada, and the names that show up on the map are:
    "Chauffage et Air Climatisé Walter Wilson Ltée"
    and
    "Climatisation Logan Leroux"

Interviewing them is always something valid to do, but before I even did that much, I would have liked to see what kind of advice/help they have provided on this site to give me an idea of how knowledgable they are and how helpful/open to questions they are. There are several people that I would hire sight unseen based on the type of contributions they provide here, but unfortunately, they are not in my area.

I have spoken to several friends who live around me and no one has an HVAC contractor that they can whole-heartedly recommend.

Thanks,

Eric
    Usually, folks do not post their actual names online, rather user names... just the way things are.

You kinda beat me to the next suggestion... ask your friends/family for referrals... Hmmm.

I suspect the best you are gonna be able to do is get an Email/phone conversation going with some contractors, start a thread specifically with an issue, read over this (and other) forums to see who is in your area and what they post... OR
    Just call one or two out for a service call. While they are there, you will figure out quickly what they know and more importantly if you feel you can trust them to do you right.

I will get flack from some of the folks here; however: If you are looking for a knowledgeable and experienced person who will take lots of time at your home... well the business models of the big shops tend to be based on max # of calls per day. Hope this helps...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    You could always start a thread in AOP Residential titled "Anyone here from Montreal, Canada?". Since it was in AOP, only Professional Members* would be able to reply. Just a thought.

8. Likes HellGato liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Usually, folks do not post their actual names online, rather user names... just the way things are.
    Strange, especially for Pro Members who should like to advertise their expertise, esp since they are already providing invaluable insights without remuneration.

OR
    Just call one or two out for a service call. While they are there, you will figure out quickly what they know and more importantly if you feel you can trust them to do you right.
    My issue with that is that they will charge for the service call. While I have absolutely no qualms about paying someone a reasonable rate if they are knowledgable, able to understand and provide valid insights, I have big issues paying someone who comes and knows as much as I do. Or someone who has limited knowledge and can't understand questions outside his scope and gives answers that make no sense. Unfortunately, I have run into a lot of those recently. In fact, I have even run into different HVAC contractors from the same company sent for two different reasons give me diametrically opposite opinions regarding the ducting around the HP head. One is telling me that when the head was changed years ago (before I bought the home), they didn't redo the ducting to make it fit properly (it is apparently too large right now), and the ductwork should be redone. The other technician telling me that it is fine; putting in a filler strip works fine and does not impact the system performance at all.

So as you can see, there is a dearth of reliable people here. Unfortunately, most customers do not know any better and just accept what they are told at face value. And when you poke for extra info, they give you one of those looks as to say "who do you think you are questioning me?"

Thanks,

Eric

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    You could always start a thread in AOP Residential titled "Anyone here from Montreal, Canada?". Since it was in AOP, only Professional Members* would be able to reply. Just a thought.
    That's not a bad idea at all. I might try just that.

Thanks,

Eric

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    This is a good idea ^^
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in