Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes

Manitowoc Quiet Cube

Got a call for 2 mani SY2174C heads with the CVD condensing units....first let me say I think somebody was overthinking things on the design of these units.

Arrived on site and both heads were froze over...I'd say a good 7 inches. Thawed them out and checked the 1st unit. freeze pressures seemed normal, but in harvest the head bobbed around 120 and suction was 45. I felt the receiver and it was pretty cold. (Balmy 10 degrees here in Omaha this day).
    Talked it through with manitowoc tech support and we both believe the headmaster is faulty and not "100% bypassing" during harvest due to the cold receiver and low head pressure.
    I tried to see if this head would operate normally but no luck this damn thing really will NOT harvest nor melt the cubes away. valve is on order and won't be here till monday

The other head, thawed it, same thing, but this one harvested fine everytime and quickly too.

So my plan is....install the headmaster on the 1st head and follow up with the other head. If it has freeze up issues w/low head and a cold receiver during harvest it might need a headmaster as well.

Does my headmaster diagnosis seem right to u guys?
    And for the record I really don't like this design especially for in a kitchen. Why not just use a normal remote set up? plus its not really quiet it still makes noise in harvest so whats the point? ha

Post Likes
    by the by...anyone know what pressure these special headmasters usually maintain?

Post Likes
    240 psi but regardless use the OEM part. And the receiver will get cool during harvest.
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    by the by...anyone know what pressure these special headmasters usually maintain?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ararams View Post
    240 psi but regardless use the OEM part. And the receiver will get cool during harvest.
    maybe i should have worded that differently....manitowoc tech support says the Inlet to the receiver should stay warm during harvest. On my unit it did not, it got very cold and the unit wouldn't harvest properly.
    Its gotta be a headmaster....Charge is correct, both these heads have had the hot gas valves replaced so i literally don't see what else it could be

Post Likes
    Does it seem like the headmaster is maintaining 240psi head during freeze? It will bounce around a little at the beginning of the freeze cycle, and the fan may cycle on and off a few times, but should eventually stabilize.

Does the condenser fan cycle on/off at the right pressures (200co 250ci I believe)

Is the liquid line insulated all the way to the condensing unit? If I'm at the ice machine head, I grab onto the liquid line where it comes into the back of the machine to feel the temperature. The headmaster should be bypassing all the way during harvest, ergo hot gas from the discharge should be feeding down the "liquid line" from the condensing unit to the ice maker head, which will make the line warm.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    Does it seem like the headmaster is maintaining 240psi head during freeze? It will bounce around a little at the beginning of the freeze cycle, and the fan may cycle on and off a few times, but should eventually stabilize.

Does the condenser fan cycle on/off at the right pressures (200co 250ci I believe)

Is the liquid line insulated all the way to the condensing unit? If I'm at the ice machine head, I grab onto the liquid line where it comes into the back of the machine to feel the temperature. The headmaster should be bypassing all the way during harvest, ergo hot gas from the discharge should be feeding down the "liquid line" from the condensing unit to the ice maker head, which will make the line warm.
    yep it did this, but it never stabilized, the fan always cycled 250 to 190. Both lines are insulated'
    I also did a test where i jumpered the fan cycle to get the fan to stay on....my head dropped to 150 and stayed there and the liquid line became cold

Post Likes
    Now as far as the other Ice head I wasn't 100% sure because my pressures were almost to the book on that unit even in harvest....liquid line still got cold tho during harvest.
    It was the same situation....heavily froze up about 5 inches thick but when i thawed it it had quick harvests like nothing was wrong, so for the 1st unit I'm thinking headmaster for sure and I'll have to double check the 2nd unit cuz it was operating normally upon me leaving

Post Likes
    Been a long time since I worked on a quiet cuber. Probably since they first came out with the Q series. Headmasters were a problem, accumulators leaked, and last but not least, they are critically charged systems and the cool vapor defrost depends on the proper charge during the winter. Before I'd start replacing parts, I'd pull and weigh the charge.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    If you're on the roof, you can check by feeling the lines on the headmaster with your hand. Feel the discharge, condenser, and "to receiver inlet" lines. If it drops below 240, the "receiver inlet" line will warm up from the discharge gas.

When its maintaining 240, the receiver line will be warmish, might swing between hotish and coldish as the headmaster fluctuates to maintain 240.

If you had the fan jumpered to run constant, the discharge line and the "receiver line" on the other side of the headmaster should have been about the same temp.

All this kind of depends on your ambient.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    If you're on the roof, you can check by feeling the lines on the headmaster with your hand. Feel the discharge, condenser, and "to receiver inlet" lines. If it drops below 240, the "receiver inlet" line will warm up from the discharge gas.

When its maintaining 240, the receiver line will be warmish, might swing between hotish and coldish as the headmaster fluctuates to maintain 240.

If you had the fan jumpered to run constant, the discharge line and the "receiver line" on the other side of the headmaster should have been about the same temp.

All this kind of depends on your ambient.
    true...and mine somewhat did this.
    I don't think that its not working at all I think that its malfunctioning in harvest because its supposed to block the condenser and bypass straight discharge from the compressor down to the receiver like you said...It is this function I believe it is not doing causing my low head and normal to low suction in harvest

My ambient was about 14

Post Likes
    Its very cold here as well, and I've been working on a lot of CVD machines lately.

The problems that cause failed harvests/freezing up seem to happen to CVD machines a lot more than traditional remotes.

And by the way, if you're on the phone with Manitowoc, and call it a hot gas valve in a CVD unit, the guy will yell at you "ITS NOT A HOT GAS VALVE, ITS A COOL VAPOR VALVE"

Post Likes
    See what the headmaster does for the first machine. I have had the same issue you described several times, pressures are kind of ok during freeze, but low in harvest, because of a headmaster issue.

Also, like 2sac said, the charge is pretty critical on those.

Don't forget, you could also have any of the other "harvest problems", especially with the second machine, since its pressures seemed to be "normal".

-Machine is dirty
    -Ice thickness probe scaled up or not working properly
    -Plastic trim broken (top molding, sides, bottom)
    -Cool vapor valve issue
    -Refrigerant overcharged/undercharged
    -separated evaporator row
    -Probably a million other things I can't remember at the moment

Post Likes
    hottish and warmish may not be the best way to diagnose a full charge on a remote Manitowoc ice maker...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast