Post Likes

Java 6 and Java 7 together

Howdy,

I haven't seen anyone post this yet, but I'll bet there are many out there with a similar problem.
    I work for a large school district which carries many different control systems.
    I have specific Java 6 Runtime Versions for both NAE's and FX/Jace's and use it for JCI stuff.

Now we are getting new AX JACE's for another vendors system (KMC) and it needs Java 7.
    I tried loading specific Java 7 products (e.g. 1.7.0_40 and _45). I know the trick about Enabling only the Java you want to use and unchecking the ones you don't. Then you go to the General page of the Java Control Panel and click on Temporary Internet Files>Settings>Delete Files>Delete Temporary Files>OK.

But this doesn't work with Java 7. Even if you check Java 6, etc, it wants to open up Java 7.
    As I'm sure many of you know, the specific JACE or NAE is looking for the specific Java version it was originally configured with.

I tried the VMware route, but I HATE the way it slows down my computer and I refuse to use it!

Anyone know of a trick for this or a tool?

Thanks,

Brian
    Experience is another name for my mistakes.

Post Likes
    If the NAE's are Rev 5.2 or higher go to JCI website and download the launcher program.It's free and the java is built in to the program.

Post Likes
    Thanks Dodger,
    I know about the new launcher and in the near future our NAE/JCI folks will do just that.

But I'm still faced with all the FX JACEs and AX JACEs.
    From experimentation, all of these supervisory systems want only their specific Java file. Since these supervisory controllers don't talk on the internet there is no prompt to upgrade their Java.

The only solution I found was to download VMware (freeware version) and load my Java 7 files there. It worked ok, but as I previously stated, it slows my computer waaaaaaaay down! It's like watching paint dry!
    Virtual programs suck alot of memory, period.
    I begged, cajoled, etc a couple of years ago to get the school district to but us 3 techs new computers. There really very good Dell E6420 with 2 GB of RAM, but all with a 32 bit OS because the district uses 32 bit Windows. After researching virtual sites, it looks like the minimum would be 8 GB of RAM on a computer. Well, you can only put 4 GB on a 32 bit system. With a 64 bit OS you can max out at 8 GB. (this was after chatting with a aftermarket software support company). And from a previous post on this forum, I've seen techs saying that 8 isn't enough, they're looking at 16 GB!

So, other than begging for a computer I won't get or installing a virtual machine on my computer or completely uninstalling Java 7 when I'm not using it, what's the best solution?

At least I'm giving you guys a head scratcher! I'll let you know what I come up with if I don't hear back from anyone here. I'm sure I'm not the only service tech with the same problem.

Thanks!
    Experience is another name for my mistakes.

Post Likes
    I'm not sure how many Jaces your site has?? But you can just upgrade them?? Your new KMC jaces will have probably 3.7.106 which will work fine with 1_7_40 or 45 java. Depending on which versions your FX jaces are, there is patches for the java issues.

Post Likes
    I have all the needed java files on my laptop and have no problem at all interafcing into a NAE or a Jace of any brand. Clear your Java cache in the Java control panel.
    UA Local 141

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by berg2666 View Post
    Clear your Java cache in the Java control panel.
    This is my suggestion.