+ Reply to Thread

Thread: York vs Trane - Which is better? And are Copeland motors junk?

Post Likes

York vs Trane - Which is better? And are Copeland motors junk?

I get to spend a boatload of money replacing our chiller system for an apartment complex. Existing system is a "TSI" brand that has been there at least since the late 80's or early 90's. But it takes Copeland motors. We've gone through 4 copeland motors in 5 years - two of which were replaced on warranty. Service vendor recommends a York 50 ton scroll compressor - but which also takes Copeland motors. So now I'm thinking Copeland motors are just complete junk - but I can pay even more money for a comparable Trane system.

Do you have any opinions on whether York systems with copeland compressors hold up any better than Trane compressors?

Should I just expect that these systems will break down constantly (again, 5 compressors in 4 years) or should I expect new systems, with proper maintenance, to just hum along for a number of years and leave my wallet alone?

Mark

Post Likes
    Copeland compressors are some of the most reliable compressors built. If you are having issues now, you need to identify WHY you are having the issues otherwise it is likely that you will have the same problems with your new equipment. It sounds like you didn't use to have an issue and then something changed and now you have issues. If you are having electrical failures, then that part is unlikely to change (same electricity). If the root cause is your contractor (which may be difficult for you to determine), then you will REALLY have problems with newer and more complicated equipment. Perhaps the root cause is that things break down or need maintenance over time and you don't want to spend the money to repair/maintain them. The newer stuff will be more expensive, I can promise you that...but there are some advantages too.

Post Likes
    Limiting yourself to York or Trane?

Post Likes
    Copeland scrolls are, pretty much the epitome of what a scroll should be. Fewer moving parts etc etc.

TechSys chillers are pretty simple, and reliable.

You need to determine WHY you're smoking compressors before you replace another one, Let alone dump big money into a new chiller.

If I had a choice, unless the Trane is a r134 screw. I would go with the York. I prefer the Copeland scrolls over any other brand.

For what it's worth, I have a TechSys(TSI), 20 ton with 2 Copeland scrolls at an account. It's process, runs 24/7/365.

Last compressor replacement in that chiller was over 10 years ago.

There are plenty of good chillers out there, don't limit yourself to just one. For an apartment complex, you're probably going to want something with some serious load flexibility.

Chase

Post Likes
    I work for Trane, so I am somewhat biased. However, I've been in the trade for 20 years and worked on plenty of different machines. Trane is by far the most durable, most reliable and best engineered equipment I've worked on. That's why I decided to work for them 3 years ago when they asked me. They stay ahead of the curve and set the bar for others to try to achieve.
    Just my opinion of course...like I said...somewhat biased!

Fix your underlying problem and then put in a Trane. You won't be disappointed.

"If you can't do it technically, you can't do it tactically."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranetek1974 View Post
    They stay ahead of the curve and set the bar for others to try to achieve.
    Like how they said for over ten years that VSDs didn't work on centrifugal chillers (after York introduced them in 1979) only to offer VSDs on centrifugal chillers 10-15 years later? That's setting the bar, alright.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    Like how they said for over ten years that VSDs didn't work on centrifugal chillers (after York introduced them in 1979) only to offer VSDs on centrifugal chillers 10-15 years later? That's setting the bar, alright.
    Lol, that's what I was thinking. If anybody is "setting the bar" IMO its York.

Post Likes
    Newyork...I was 4 in 1979.
    Like I said, I'm biased, and 20 years...not 40. That takes me back to the mid-90's. I've only worked on chillers for about the last 8 years so I was commenting on what I know. He asked for opinions and I gave mine. I'm sure you can find a lot of things you like better about York. We just overhauled a Trane sidewinder from 1970 and it ran awesome last summer.

"If you can't do it technically, you can't do it tactically."

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in