Thread: MFG : Square D

Post Likes

Frown MFG : Square D

Has anyone heard of Sundial as an Air Handler manufacturer?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Has anyone heard of Sundial as an Air Handler manufacturer?
    No I have not. However I have heard of Square D. Is there a connection between the two?

Post Likes
    Yes, Square D used to manufacture Sundial electric air handlers, they haven't for quite some time.

They were extremely common in my area.

There is 0 availability of OEM parts, but for the most part, all the controls, heating elements, blower motor and blower wheel are completely generic. A service tech with a well stocked truck could literally rebuild a Sun Dial electric air handler to "as new" standard with "off the shelf" parts.

There is an exception though. There were a few that used a blower motor that is around 1300 RPM, basically a high slip 1600 RPM motor. I never could find a motor that would work well in place of it, just a couple of tricks to do a temp replacement with a generic motor until the unit could be replaced.

If it is one that has a coil before the blower, the coil is not OEM. Square D made some of the Sun Dial air handlers with a compartment for a coil before the blower, but they never came with a coil installed. Some installers put a 3rd party coil in there, but almost all of them I have seen have a cased or slab coil downstream of the air handler.

Basically anyone that still has one, it is time for a system replacement, preferably upgrading to a heat pump system.

Post Likes
    There's an old apartment complex couple miles from me. Was built 20+ years ago with all Sundial equipment. I know the salesman who sold it. Funny thing is, very few outdoor unit have been replaced!

Post Likes
    Wow, never realized they actually supplied them with a coil. All of them I have seen that had a coil in them had a 3rd party coil.
    I haven't seen most of those models shown there though.

Post Likes

Wink Time Piece and Relic

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Yes, Square D used to manufacture Sundial electric air handlers, they haven't for quite some time.

There is 0 availability of OEM parts, but for the most part, all the controls, heating elements, blower motor and blower wheel are completely generic.

Basically anyone that still has one, it is time for a system replacement, preferably upgrading to a heat pump system.
    I take that to mean that SunDial is now only a time piece
    and the AHU might be kNOWn as a ... coilafurnaceRex
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    One of my earlier houses some 30 plus years ago came with Sundial system. Brand new to the house. The system only lasted about 8 years. The outside coil leaked. Replaced it with a RUUD. Sundial did not last very long under Square D.

Post Likes
    Here's a good one.

Was out back chatting with the junk man. He had a Rheem gas furnace in the back of his trailer the competition took out. On the mfr's rating plate it said Made for Square D, Mesquite TX. Had a 1982 Rheem serial #.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Here's a good one.

Was out back chatting with the junk man. He had a Rheem gas furnace in the back of his trailer the competition took out. On the mfr's rating plate it said Made for Square D, Mesquite TX. Had a 1982 Rheem serial #.
    Loonie, Mark, Kevin,

Thanks for the History lessons.
    Designer Dan

Post Likes

Square D Sundial

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-20-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

Last edited by beenthere; 07-20-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Post Likes
    kngreen1, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?