Post Likes

... but my friend has done this for 30 yrs

Got a call, no cool, brand new install. My office said you should call the company that installed it so they could fix it under warranty. Turns out that some "friend" installed this ac 3 months ago and they don't want him back.

This guy didn't have a clue, he had been troubleshooting this for 4 weeks and couldn't figure it out. Before you look at the pictures, you need to know what he did.

I put my gauges on the condenser, 0 superheat, 40 subcool.

"you have a problem with the metering device or airflow issues".

This idiot was using the +30 -30 method to check refrigerant.

The home owner said it cant be that easy, " he has been doing this for 30 yrs, and he has spent 3-4 weeks on this" "it has to be something else".

OK, take a look

check out the TXV

Ok, it gets better, the coil is sitting on one piece of S-lock.
    LOOK AT THE BYPASS AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a look at the 24v wire to the txv area, the guy put a freeze sensor on the suction line outside the plenum. So when it froze, it cut the 24v to the cond. for a few min. 3 ton of cooling through an old permatron 16x20 filter.

He fixed the humidifier leak at no extra charge

Installed a Tuy w/ a 14i heat pump, Iaq stat,, it was a tight fit, but our installers did a nice job.

Post Likes
    One more thing to mention, after a proper Man J was done, we installed a 2 ton in place of the 3 ton....

Post Likes
    Nice fix....

Why didn't you keep the new A/C and coil? or the customer wanted to upgrade into the Heat Pump? Customer sure spent a lot of money in the last few months, or did you guys "buy" the A/C to save some money?

Post Likes
    For one, the system had air in it, It had been opened up numerous times. I don't know if this hillbilly used nitrogen, He smashed the crap out of the evap, the original ac died, burnout, and he reused the orig lineset .... And it was one ton oversized. Where I live, heat pump is the way to go with a fossil fuel backup.

Post Likes

That right there looks like D.S.C. in Phoenix did that install!

They would either HANG the sensing bulb or zip tie it and throw the metal strap away!!!!! They obviously had NO CLUE!

So what is this 30/-30 thing you speak of? You mean the old "30 degree over ambient" head pressure charging method LOL!!!!

ZERO SUPERHEAT thru that TXV, how is that possibe, even with the stacked up 40 deg subcool? Or was the system so mismatched that it couldn't boil off enough refer?

Post Likes
    Thats one heck of a friend. So Freefall where at in Indiana are your from?

Post Likes
    its annoying when i see drains ran level along a floor .. i dont care that it drains due to the weight of the water .. there will be standing water in there in an off cycle & we all know what happens then

Post Likes

Cool

That trane install looks as pretty as the wallpaper beside it. lol