+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 135356575859606162636465 LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1282

Thread: Oiler exam NYC

Post Likes
    I’m #299, just started the hiring process for parks. You will start to get notifications in the mail and some even email you in advance about a hiring pool for whatever agency is hiring an Oiler. The interview process is all based off list number, the city has a rule of 3 so for every one hire they must interview 3 people. For example you’re 390, so in your pool will be list numbers close to you if they have one position open and call 389, 390 and 391 for an interview they can now hire one of them if the panel feels they are a good fit for the position. Every department uses oilers differently so it would be just like a regular job interview then, as opposed to take the test get the job.

Post Likes
    Thank you so much for the reply and info! Much appreciated!

Congrats on Parks! I spoke to a friend who works for them and really enjoys the work!

Good luck with your new gig!

Post Likes
    Thank you!
    No problem at all. If you need anything else you know where to find me.

Post Likes
    Hey! Happy New Year everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had the list of questions they ask at the interview for stationary oiler? I heard there are approximately 12 questions, one being "How do you change out a belt?"

Post Likes

Correction call coming

Hey guys, check your mail DOC is picking up 7 oilers before end of January.

Post Likes
    Wow! That is great news! Thanks for letting us know! 7 spots is great! Does anyone know any possible questions they might ask at the interview? It would be greatly appreciated to prepare more Incase I get an interview.
    Happy new year everyone!!!

Post Likes
    It’s probably gunna be basic HVAC maintenance questions with DOC. I know there’s 2 spots you can go there, the plant or the Jail itself and they are 2 very different places.
    From what I hear the plant is where you wanna be. The jail is golden handcuffs, mandatory OT, no phones allowed and when they lock down you’re locked down. Basically going to jail everyday. But bright side is you can always transfer out!
    Good luck guys

Post Likes
    Hey! I was wondering if you could share what questions they asked you at interview ?

Post Likes
    Has anyone gotten a notice or letter or email yet?! I haven’t heard anything.

Post Likes
    Transfer out? Meaning to another agency?!

Post Likes
    Hey sorry for the late reply, my questions were heavy refrigeration. Like basic ref cycle, specific tools for proper recovery and evac, situational questions for diagnostics so nothing you wouldn’t be prepared for. Parks oilers do a lot of AC and boiler work. But every agency is a little different DEP was heavy with boilers and DOT was mainly types of grease.

Post Likes
    Yeah if there’s an opening at another agency that has oilers once the list expires you can transfer. So if you hate DOC you can bolt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by IUOE_NYC View Post
    Hey sorry for the late reply, my questions were heavy refrigeration. Like basic ref cycle, specific tools for proper recovery and evac, situational questions for diagnostics so nothing you wouldn’t be prepared for. Parks oilers do a lot of AC and boiler work. But every agency is a little different DEP was heavy with boilers and DOT was mainly types of grease.
    thank you very much for the reply, appreciate, every little bit of preparation will help incase I get called. I am # 390 something

Post Likes
    Hey guys I was wondering if there is any word on the oiler exam coming out? Does anyone have any recommendation for study material? I see the oiler passbook but I hear that book doesn’t contain much of what’s on exam.
    Thanks a lot!

Post Likes
    I have no clue. Was there an announcement to sign up for exam? Did we all miss it? Or did you guys sign up?

I heard the previous exam expires in March 2021. I have no clue what’s true.

Post Likes
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 6164
Size:  118.0 KB

That's only the first page of the document. Anybody familiar with the incidents described in the document? Of course many of said incidents could have been avoided by simply exercising common sense, discipline, respect, safe work procedures, and always maintaining situational awareness around the machines this particular oiler was working on prior to the proceeding brought against him. This should be quite obvious to those privy to the aforementioned information. That being said, I'm sure any of us can use this as an educational tool to ensure we all stay up to snuff as mechanics and operators, regardless of where you work or what your exact position title is!

Post Likes
    Filing is supposed to be Feb 2021

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombardier R142 View Post
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 6164
Size:  118.0 KB

That's only the first page of the document. Anybody familiar with the incidents described in the document? Of course many of said incidents could have been avoided by simply exercising common sense, discipline, respect, safe work procedures, and always maintaining situational awareness around the machines this particular oiler was working on prior to the proceeding brought against him. This should be quite obvious to those privy to the aforementioned information. That being said, I'm sure any of us can use this as an educational tool to ensure we all stay up to snuff as mechanics and operators, regardless of where you work or what your exact position title is!
    wow thats crazy...what agency was this?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stegna View Post
    I got an 85. studied my ass off. At least 15 questions were really oddball. I've been in the steam industry for a decade and some of the questions really confused me. I know provisional oilers that only got in the low 70's so im keeping my fingers crossed
    What material did you study?

Post Likes
    advise to people who want to take this test is dont waste your money unless you have real strong background or have acess to a classes to help you score high.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 135356575859606162636465 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in