Thread: Carrier new all aluminum condensing coils - any problems?

Post Likes

Confused Carrier new all aluminum condensing coils - any problems?

I am under the impression that Carrier historically had a serious problem with leaks in their copper condensing coils (I know that this is something that has plagued all manufacturers, but I am under the impression that Carrier's problem was particularly bad). But then they started giving them a tin plating, and my understanding is that, to a great extent, this took care of the problem. But now they stopped making the tin plated coils and have gone to all aluminum.

Have these new all aluminum coils had any problems? I believe this is the first year they have switched over to these, and I would not want to be a guinea pig while they iron out any problems they find with their new manufacturer. This first year of anything is never a good idea. Does anyone have any experiences with these new coils, good or bad?

Post Likes
    Haven't heard of all aluminum condenser other than the microchannel coil used in some commercial units. Many evaps are going all aluminum.

Post Likes
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you are thinking of the evaporator coils. They aren't new. They used them for a while in the 70's and 80's, and as far as I know they were good coils. Of course, they weren't exactly the same. The old ones were "A" coils while the new ones are "N" coils, and the old ones were American, while the new ones are hecho en Mexico.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you are thinking of the evaporator coils. They aren't new. They used them for a while in the 70's and 80's, and as far as I know they were good coils. Of course, they weren't exactly the same. The old ones were "A" coils while the new ones are "N" coils, and the old ones were American, while the new ones are hecho en Mexico.
    Yes, I meant evaporator coils. I really do know the difference ...a bit embarrassing but I hope I get a pass not being a pro. I have no way to go back and edit the title of this thread; I may not get a lot of responses since it doesn't make sense!

Anyway, yes, I know that they used to be just fine. My concern is that they are no longer fine, being both made in Mexico and being N coils instead of A. Maybe they are as good as anyone else's on the market. I just know that this is the first year they have switched to this design, and so they haven't had time to figure out any problems with their new design and/or manufacturer yet. I don't want to be their guinea pig.

Although Trane's evaporator coils, for instance, are bound to be of less quality than they were many years ago, at least the design they have on the market is not new. Anything new makes me nervous!

Post Likes
    I'm glad to see all aluminum coming back. Still nervous about microchannel though. In our area, lots & lots of homes built in the late 70s and the 80s had Bryant or Carrier systems with all aluminum in & out. My neighborhood built in the late 80s had either Trane or Bryant. The Trane evaps were still aluminum and obviously had the Spine Fin condenser. The Bryants were the little cubes with green painted aluminum condenser and aluminum evap. Many of the Tranes still are in use, few of the Bryants though likely that was due to compressor not coils. We didn't find Bryant/Carrier coil leaks til they went back to copper tube in 1989.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in