Thread: Zoning: Trane, Lennox iHarmony or Honeywell

Post Likes

Confused Zoning: Trane, Lennox iHarmony or Honeywell

Hi,

All of this comes down to two questions: Which zoning will be best for the circumstances, and should I pay the extra amount for a communicating system. Choosing Trane or iHarmony determines the brand for the remaining equipment.

I am having a new system (Dual Fuel Gas) installed (replaces 23 year old Lennox). Need for Zoning is obvious with the layout. Will use either Trane or Lennox equipment. Gas 2-stage(not modulating), fan variable, 2-stage compressor. We will NOT use a bypass damper (I am satisfied with that argument) and will probably let "some" percentage of air through to each zone at all times. Expect to use MARD for each zone. Location is Atlanta, so I do not expect to use gas often, and then rarely second stage.

My ideal zoning system would be able to control % on each MARD dynamically to address load needs and maintain adequate and quiet static pressure.

1. If Communicating equipment chosen, does it interact with or improve zoning system? Do any of the three zoning systems tie in? I do not think that a communicating system will improve the Zoning effectiveness.

2. With Trane and Lennox, is the use of communicating systems cost-effective (given that they are usually on the most expensive units). I know that they usually have variable-speed condenser fans, even in 2-stage compressor.

3. A detailed schedule J shows about 2.4 tons of A/C total. We are dealing with 1,000 of lower-split level (upper on separate system), and about 1,200 of single level. All low-e, dual pane windows, r-30 to R-39 in ceilings, about 70% each area has current code level wall insulation and sealing.

4. In two zones, will want to use a separate temp sensor (in addition to zone thermostat) to have AVERAGE temp control.

5. One zone will have de-humidity sensor (separate or in thermostat). I presume it would trigger the dehumidistat line, and in theory lower the fan speed and dry out all "calling" zones (in addition to the zone calling for dehumidification. I do not use the "system" to lower general air temp simply to dehumify. I only dehumidify IF the zone is calling, and separately calling for dehumify.

So,

A. I like Trane system I already have in upstairs part of split. Non-communicating, honeywell thermo, non-commicating with EIM/IAQ using remote temp sensor to cause thermostat to average the observed temps. However, I think Lennox can provide a communicating system at SEER 18, instead of the highest level like Trane.

B. iHarmony zoning seems to be able to handle MARD dampers and balance the percentage open for each damper dynamically based on calls and SP.

C. Honeywell is Honeywell--been using for 50 years now.

Which Zoning System to go with? Communicating or non?

Your professional comments, observations, and experience with this would be appreciated!

Post Likes
    Very simple answer Carrier/Bryant has the best zoning product available followed closely by the Lennox Harmony. Nothing else comes even close. I have a Harmony in my house only because when I installed it the Carrier system was not vailable. I have installed dozen of each and had virtually no problems with either one.

Communicating equipment with a true variable speed motor controller is the only viable option especially in a hot humid climate such as Atlanta.

Post Likes
    Classical,

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Very simple answer Carrier/Bryant has the best zoning product available followed closely by the Lennox Harmony.

Communicating equipment with a true variable speed motor controller is the only viable option especially in a hot humid climate such as Atlanta.
    Okay. What about the quality of the rest of system: Carrier or Lennox?

Also, When you say "true variable speed motor controller," I presume you mean the air handler/furnace, and not some kind of variable speed compressor. I have a TAM7 from Trane.

Thanks for your response.

Post Likes

Zoning: Trane, Lennox iHarmony or Honeywell

Trane recently came out with zone system that is comparable to the Carrier/Bryant. New Trane zoning has fully modulating dampers, smart sensors/controls and a full color touch screen main stat that is very user friendly. Communicating controls do improve zoning performance when using modulating dampers.

Trane is also coming out with a variable capacity condenser next month. It will modulate capacity, fully communicating, and available in 18 (XV18i) or 20 (XV18i) seer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Trane recently came out with zone system that is comparable to the Carrier/Bryant. New Trane zoning has fully modulating dampers, smart sensors/controls and a full color touch screen main stat that is very user friendly. Communicating controls do improve zoning performance when using modulating dampers.

Trane is also coming out with a variable capacity condenser next month. It will modulate capacity, fully communicating, and available in 18 (XV18i) or 20 (XV18i) seer.
    Trane has always had a modulating zone system. I was installing them back in the late 80s and early 90s with the XV15

Post Likes

Zoning: Trane, Lennox iHarmony or Honeywell

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Trane has always had a modulating zone system. I was installing them back in the late 80s and early 90s with the XV15
    I guess I should've been more specific. New Comfortlink (communicating) compatible modulating dampers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Yup, I have had 2 in our office for the last nine years tied to 19i's. I'm thinking about upgrading to the XV20's with there new zoning next month.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    Recommend
    Condenser: http://www.lennox.com/products/air-conditioners/XC25/
    Gas Heater: http://www.lennox.com/products/furnaces/SL280V/
    Main Thermostat: http://www.lennox.com/products/comfort-controls/
    Zone sensor: http://www.lennox.com/products/comfo...rols/iharmony/
    Zone Panel: Iharmony http://www.lennox.com/products/comfo...rols/iharmony/
    Zone damper: Lennox Or any damper (BEST to use spring-open damper). I don't like Lennox or Honeywell damper because they are not seal well in closed position. I prefer ruskin damper, which is 99% seal.

****** most important of all ***** Whoever installs it, better knows what they are doing. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT BRAND, It is all electronic and will be a shady-tree company nightmare and so will be yours. I.e., before buying and driving Mercedes, you better have a Mercedes knowledgeable garage near by.

We installed QUITE a few of them since introduced. The only thing I don't like is its zone sensor is too small and requires lots of attention and when installing. It is the best zone system I've ever seen yet.

Post Likes

THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    Recommend
    Condenser: http://www.lennox.com/products/air-conditioners/XC25/
    Gas Heater: http://www.lennox.com/products/furnaces/SL280V/
    Main Thermostat: http://www.lennox.com/products/comfort-controls/
    Zone sensor: http://www.lennox.com/products/comfo...rols/iharmony/
    Zone Panel: Iharmony http://www.lennox.com/products/comfo...rols/iharmony/
    Zone damper: Lennox Or any damper (BEST to use spring-open damper). I don't like Lennox or Honeywell damper because they are not seal well in closed position. I prefer ruskin damper, which is 99% seal.

****** most important of all ***** Whoever installs it, better knows what they are doing. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT BRAND, It is all electronic and will be a shady-tree company nightmare and so will be yours. I.e., before buying and driving Mercedes, you better have a Mercedes knowledgeable garage near by.

We installed QUITE a few of them since introduced. The only thing I don't like is its zone sensor is too small and requires lots of attention and when installing. It is the best zone system I've ever seen yet.
    Thanks for the information. Yes, I realized on an earlier system that the technical side of the installation is important. Other than the communicating and zoning complexities, I think the Trane/Lennox and even Carrier HP and Furnace can meet the needs.

THANKS TO ALL!
    JBR

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-23-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Post Likes
    Dwgunn

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in