+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVC flue venting height on flat roof?

Post Likes

PVC flue venting height on flat roof?

Does a pvc flue need to extend above the highest point of a roof, like B vent does?

I am asking because I am working on installing some venting on top of a flat roofed apartment building. My pipes are coming out of the roof right next to the elevator shaft that is about 10' higher than the rest of the roof. Do my pipes need to extend above it?

Post Likes
    Typical installers guides suggest 12" above anticipated high snow level.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Does a pvc flue need to extend above the highest point of a roof, like B vent does?

I am asking because I am working on installing some venting on top of a flat roofed apartment building. My pipes are coming out of the roof right next to the elevator shaft that is about 10' higher than the rest of the roof. Do my pipes need to extend above it?
    IFGC 503.8
    503.8 Venting system termination location. The location of venting system terminations shall comply with the following (see Appendix C):

1. A mechanical draft venting system shall terminate at least 3 feet (914 mm) above any forced-air inlet located within 10 feet (3048 mm).

Exceptions:

1. This provision shall not apply to the combustion air intake of a direct-vent appliance.

2. This provision shall not apply to the separation of the integral outdoor air inlet and flue gas discharge of listed outdoor appliances.

2. A mechanical draft venting system, excluding direct-vent appliances, shall terminate at least 4 feet (1219 mm) below, 4 feet (1219 mm) horizontally from, or 1 foot (305 mm) above any door, operable window or gravity air inlet into any building. The bottom of the vent terminal shall be located at least 12 inches (305 mm) above finished ground level.

3. The vent terminal of a direct-vent appliance with an input of 10,000 Btu per hour (3 kW) or less shall be located at least 6 inches (152 mm) from any air opening into a building, and such an appliance with an input over 10,000 Btu per hour (3 kW) but not over 50,000 Btu per hour (14.7 kW) shall be installed with a 9-inch (230 mm) vent termination clearance, and an appliance with an input over 50,000 Btu/h (14.7 kW) shall have at least a 12-inch (305 mm) vent termination clearance. The bottom of the vent terminal and the air intake shall be located at least 12 inches (305 mm) above finished ground level.

4. Through-the-wall vents for Category II and IV appliances and noncategorized condensing appliances shall not terminate over public walkways or over an area where condensate or vapor could create a nuisance or hazard or could be detrimental to the operation of regulators, relief valves or other equipment. Where local experience indicates that condensate is a problem with Category I and III appliances, this provision shall also apply. Drains for condensate shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Post Likes
    Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in