Post Likes

IP/URL used by the Weather Module

Does anyone know off hand what the IP or URL is that is used to retrieve weather data by the weather module in AX? The only internet connection allowed to my JACE on a certain site is a white list of required IPs. I used a network traffic analyzer to capture the connections, but when I tried testing to confirm, I blocked connections based on those IPs in my router and it didn't seem to prevent the module from updating the weather info.

Post Likes
    There seemed to have been an issue with my network card that wasn't allowing all the traffic to be captured. After doing a reinstall, I found the correct IP. In case anyone comes across this on a google search, it is 23.3.96.147

Post Likes
    underneath the weatherservice object open the weatherreport object. You will then see an object named provider. this is assuming everything was left at default names and not renamed when you setup the weather service. On the provider object right click go to view then slot sheet. on the slot sheet for this view select properties 6-11. Right click and go to config flags. Uncheck the hidden check box. Once you do this you will be able to go into the properties sheet of the provider object and see the paths that the service is using to go get the weather information.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JSLLC4Life View Post
    There seemed to have been an issue with my network card that wasn't allowing all the traffic to be captured. After doing a reinstall, I found the correct IP. In case anyone comes across this on a google search, it is 23.3.96.147
    That IP resolves to one of Akamai's servers, a content delivery service provider many sites use to help improve traffic.
    See more here about Akamai.

The IP address you got is relevant to your location.
    For that reason, you should use the DNS name, not the IP address.

Also, no need to capture traffic in wireshark to determine the IP address. You can use ping to resolve it, or use "ping -a" to resolve an IP to its host name.

There are 3 separate addresses:
    graphical.weather.gov for forecast data
    www.weather.gov for current conditions
    alerts.weather.gov for advisories