+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broilmaster

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

Broilmaster

Some years ago I had a Broilmaster grill. It was wonderful. High heat, porcelain coated cooking grates, flavor-saver-rocks, etc. It was built-in and used natural gas.

When I sold that house I was tempted to dig it out and take it but instead I left it. Since then I have had six or eight grilles; Webers, Charbroils, whatever Sears sells, etc. They were all dogshet.

A new Broilmaster is now about $1800. I wanted one very badly but I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. So then I saw one for sale on craiglist for $50. A P3 head, which is the top of the line, and in Hunter Green, which is the rarest of the rare. So I e-mailed and e-mailed and heard nothing back.

After about a week I saw another Broilmaster for sale on craigslist for $50. It was a #4 head - one size smaller - but what the hell? So no response, no response, no response from the P3 seller and I arranged to drive the hour to get the #4 head unit. It turned out to be a D4CP (Deluxe 4 Cart Propane) which is the top of the 4-series line. So it comes with two covers and every accessory that Broilmaster sells. So pay the guy, load it all up, and am literally still driving home when my cell rings:

Hi; this is the guy with the P3 Broilmaster for sale.

So, even though it was 1 1/2 hours in the opposite goddamned direction, I went and got that one too. <g>

I put new burners in both of them and converted the P3 to natural gas - and Man they do work great!

My son caught some 200+ lb. tunas last weekend so when we weren't eating it raw we were grilling it rare.

I had a point to make with this story - but whatever it was; I have forgotten it now. <g>

PHM
    ------
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I had a point to make with this story - but whatever it was; I have forgotten it now. <g>

PHM
    ------
    Point well taken. I have four grills. As a self-proclaimed master chef over a grill, if you find another great grill for a cheap price, you're REQUIRED to purchase it. My bragging rights is my $300 Weber Performer (charcoal) grill I picked up at a yard sale for $5. Ten years later and I still use it at least once a week. Gotta natural gas Broil King & a Master Forge LP smoker I use less often. For camping, an Aussie LP grill.

Post Likes
    Sometimes things go right. Good for you Mikey!
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Post Likes
    Some years ago I had a Broilmaster grill. It was wonderful. High heat, porcelain coated cooking grates, flavor-saver-rocks, etc. It was built-in and used natural gas.

When I sold that house I was tempted to dig it out and take it but instead I left it. Since then I have had six or eight grilles; Webers, Charbroils, whatever Sears sells, etc. They were all dogshet.

A new Broilmaster is now about $1800. I wanted one very badly but I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. So then I saw one for sale on craiglist for $50. A P3 head, which is the top of the line, and in Hunter Green, which is the rarest of the rare. So I e-mailed and e-mailed and heard nothing back.

After about a week I saw another Broilmaster for sale on craigslist for $50. It was a #4 head - one size smaller - but what the hell? So no response, no response, no response from the P3 seller and I arranged to drive the hour to get the #4 head unit. It turned out to be a D4CP (Deluxe 4 Cart Propane) which is the top of the 4-series line. So it comes with two covers and every accessory that Broilmaster sells. So pay the guy, load it all up, and am literally still driving home when my cell rings:

Hi; this is the guy with the P3 Broilmaster for sale.

So, even though it was 1 1/2 hours in the opposite goddamned direction, I went and got that one too. <g>

I put new burners in both of them and converted the P3 to natural gas - and Man they do work great!

My son caught some 200+ lb. tunas last weekend so when we weren't eating it raw we were grilling it rare.

PHM
    ------
    You were going to post directions to your place for the next Tuna cookout. LOL Oh, and this post is worthless without pics.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes

I'm in paris right now but I'll get some pics then I get back next month

Broilmaster no longer has the green bbq paint available, and hasn't for some years, but I managed to score two cans not too long ago.

I'll get some pics.

That reminds me: the porcelain cooking grate are NLA too - in favor of all-stainless rod grates. Which not only require constant oiling but also give a sloppy quadrillage. The porcelain grates are diamond shapes - pointy top and bottom - so they burn in like a branding iron. I got NOS porcelain grates for the P3 but I'm still looking for them for the D4 head.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by desert guy View Post
    You were going to post directions to your place for the next Tuna cookout. LOL Oh, and this post is worthless without pics.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes

I stumbled across this thread

Broilmaster no longer has the green bbq paint available, and hasn't for some years, but I managed to score two cans not too long ago.

I'll get some pics.

That reminds me: the porcelain cooking grate are NLA too - in favor of all-stainless rod grates. Which not only require constant oiling but also give a sloppy quadrillage. The porcelain grates are diamond shapes - pointy top and bottom - so they burn in like a branding iron. I got NOS porcelain grates for the P3 but I'm still looking for them for the D4 head.

PHM
    ------
    Hi - I stumbled across this thread...
    A couple of weeks ago I stayed at a Timeshare in central VA. There was a brand new Broilmaster grill on the balcony of the unit I was staying in. My first impression - who still makes a gas BBQ that looks like something my late parents had in the 1980's? I assumed this was some no name POS BBQ.
    I used the grill and wow - even heat, easy to use, easy to clean after use and I was impressed. So I "Googled" Broilmaster and lo and behold it is a high quality product.

I have a Napoleon Prestige 750 for summer use and a Weber Genesis S320 as my winter beater.

So I started watching Craigslist and Kijiji for a Broilmaster. Yesterday (less than 2 weeks after I started my hunt) I scooped a P3 Ducks Unlimited NG in pristine condition - estate sale - son of the owner told me his mother paid $1200 CDN for it many many years ago and had used it maybe 10 times. It came with a non OEM cover, grate lifter tool, the ceramic briquettes were still beige coloured, the underside of the lid had no carbon at all and the burner had very little rust - the teak shelves need to be sanded and oiled and the lid need a bit of green touchup - otherwise it's perfect. I paid a whopping $40 CDN.
    I plan on cleaning it up (the little it needs) and restoring it to it's Ducks Unlimited Green Glory.
    I will post some photo's of before and after shortly. (Green High Heat paint is not available here in Canada - I plan on ordering Rustoleum Flat Green High Heat shipped to a hardware store in the US for pick up next time I am in the USA.

Post Likes
    Wow! What a great find! I have a green P-3 on natural gas and black H-4 on propane. Both do a really great steak. In fact; just did some chicken on the P-3 two hours ago. <g>

And . . . . now you can leave yours to your favorite grandson. <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by richmondhillguy View Post
    Hi - I stumbled across this thread...
    A couple of weeks ago I stayed at a Timeshare in central VA. There was a brand new Broilmaster grill on the balcony of the unit I was staying in. My first impression - who still makes a gas BBQ that looks like something my late parents had in the 1980's? I assumed this was some no name POS BBQ.
    I used the grill and wow - even heat, easy to use, easy to clean after use and I was impressed. So I "Googled" Broilmaster and lo and behold it is a high quality product.

I have a Napoleon Prestige 750 for summer use and a Weber Genesis S320 as my winter beater.

So I started watching Craigslist and Kijiji for a Broilmaster. Yesterday (less than 2 weeks after I started my hunt) I scooped a P3 Ducks Unlimited NG in pristine condition - estate sale - son of the owner told me his mother paid $1200 CDN for it many many years ago and had used it maybe 10 times. It came with a non OEM cover, grate lifter tool, the ceramic briquettes were still beige coloured, the underside of the lid had no carbon at all and the burner had very little rust - the teak shelves need to be sanded and oiled and the lid need a bit of green touchup - otherwise it's perfect. I paid a whopping $40 CDN.
    I plan on cleaning it up (the little it needs) and restoring it to it's Ducks Unlimited Green Glory.
    I will post some photo's of before and after shortly. (Green High Heat paint is not available here in Canada - I plan on ordering Rustoleum Flat Green High Heat shipped to a hardware store in the US for pick up next time I am in the USA.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Wow! What a great find! I have a green P-3 on natural gas and black H-4 on propane. Both do a really great steak. In fact; just did some chid cken on the P-3 two hours ago. <g>

PHM
    ------
    I forgot to mention one humorous fact - the BBQ I purchased went through 2 yard sales and another (initial) posting on Kijiji before I spotted it - and nobody was interested in buying it - the owner told me everyone thought it was some old no name POS BBQ from the 1980s that belonged on the curb on garbage day.

Post Likes
    Wow! What a great find! I have a green P-3 on natural gas and black H-4 on propane. Both do a really great steak. In fact; just did some chicken on the P-3 two hours ago. <g>

PHM
    ------
    I have a new Summer project - someone in my subdivision put a 1990's Broilmaster P3 out on the curb. Burner is shot - rest of the grill needs cleanup and some paint - nothing I can't fix with some elbow grease. It's different than my Ducks Unlimited P3 - this one is black, pedestal cart is black steel vs stainless, it has blue pinstripes on the front and on the English/French control panel label and has redwood coloured OEM wood shelves and handle. Unfortunately there is no serial number label (unless it's under the control panel). It's also missing the briquettes (they're inexpensive to replace).
    I can't seem to find any photos anywhere that show this model - it's definitely a Broilmaster - the lid casting is identical to my P3 Ducks unlimited.

Post Likes
    I was working in Florida from January until May this year and when I got back the friggin girls seem to have everything in the GD house broken. <g>

Including the P3 Broilmaster. Flames roll out from around the valve handles. So a couple days ago I pull the valve manifold and strip it down for inspection and some silicone grease - and . . . . the damned orifices fall right out. <g>

How the hell is that even Possible? <g>

Plus; they had left the grates un-oiled !!!

Oh; that remind me: what do you all use to oil the grates? After long experimentaion I have settled on Avocado Oil - it there anything better?
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Oh; that remind me: what do you all use to oil the grates? After long experimentaion I have settled on Avocado Oil - it there anything better?
    Flaxseed oil?

It's supposed to be the shizel for seasoning cast iron or carbon steel skillets. While I have both types of skillets, I haven't tried it yet. Maybe it works as well for cast iron grates on a grill?

I'm a cheap griller (being old & single). Neither of my Weber kettles have anything other than a basic steel grate. On those, an adequate char on the meat's surface will release without sticking. Not really concerned about grill marks.

I've given up on gassers altogether due to my preference for the flavor and texture which charcoal grilling (or smoking) offers.

Here's all I'll use now (pictured below). A 1995 Weber Performer and a new Original Red Kettle Premium Limited Edition Charcoal Grill I just got...which I should post in the Post a picture of the newest thing you bought thread...because I haven't posted anything there yet.

My old a$$ bought a house out in the woods since THAT thread started too, FWIW...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have a butcher in NJ - Gerhard is originally from Bavaria - who is a genius meat cutter. Edlen Meats in (hell; I'm not sure what that little town is called now) On Chews Landing Road almost across from the Gloucester Twp. police station.

Gerhard is in his eighties and I guess no one else will pay his prices because his store is not doing well. Although those people are stupid - because his meat is really excellent and so the values are actually better than a supermarket.

I stopped there a week ago and got some hams (the best ever) and steaks (his London Broils are so good that I grill them as steaks) and some 85/15 ground something; probably sirloin. All the girls are on some all meat / all fat / no carbs diet here so I grilled some 85/15 burgers on the P3 and served them with a sunny-side-up egg on top (no buns or even bread in the friggin house! <g>)

And damn were they Good! Gerhard is a butchering genius. It makes me sad to think that his loss will truly be The End Of An Era. People are so used to eating crap that they have come to like it I guess. And supermarket meat is really crap in comparison to Gerhard's work.
    PHM
    --------

14. Likes HVAC_Marc, Bels liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Finding a good butcher shop is a rare thing nowadays. The only one that I know of near where I live is fifty miles away.

I need to go there...if they're still in business.

Post Likes
    Well done! Good find.

Post Likes
    Are you sure it's a P3 ?

Is the box the exact same size as your Ducks Unlimited?

PHM
    --------

I have a new Summer project - someone in my subdivision put a 1990's Broilmaster P3 out on the curb. Burner is shot - rest of the grill needs cleanup and some paint - nothing I can't fix with some elbow grease. It's different than my Ducks Unlimited P3 - this one is black, pedestal cart is black steel vs stainless, it has blue pinstripes on the front and on the English/French control panel label and has redwood coloured OEM wood shelves and handle. Unfortunately there is no serial number label (unless it's under the control panel). It's also missing the briquettes (they're inexpensive to replace).
    I can't seem to find any photos anywhere that show this model - it's definitely a Broilmaster - the lid casting is identical to my P3 Ducks unlimited.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Update it's a D3CP which is the less expensive version of the P3 - black painted steel cart vs the stainless steel P3 - all parts are interchangeable.
    I just finished the restoral - stained the wood shelves with grey stain, ground all of the years of black crud out of the inside of the lid and base of the cooking chamber, added a new briquette grate (the existing is pretty well shot), replaced the burner, patched the rust holes in the base with new sheet metal, repainted the entire cart (gloss black) and the head (Rustoleum high heat black. New no-name made in China thermometer,.The porcelain cast iron grates are shot I have to replace them.

Post Likes
    Good deal on a great project! Congratulations!

I have a neighbor with a Ducks Unlimited sitting in their driveway. I saw them try lighting the briquettes with lighter fluid a number of times. The actual burner is completely obscured in yak.

The puerto rican husband laughed at me when I told him it was propane. He refused to allow me to help him rebuild it and he refuses to sell it to me at any price.

I remember Strother Martin's line: Some men you just can't reach! <g>

PHM
    --------

Update it's a D3CP which is the less expensive version of the P3 - black painted steel cart vs the stainless steel P3 - all parts are interchangeable.
    I just finished the restoral - stained the wood shelves with grey stain, ground all of the years of black crud out of the inside of the lid and base of the cooking chamber, added a new briquette grate (the existing is pretty well shot), replaced the burner, patched the rust holes in the base with new sheet metal, repainted the entire cart (gloss black) and the head (Rustoleum high heat black. New no-name made in China thermometer,.The porcelain cast iron grates are shot I have to replace them.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    I'm using a broil king with two sides to cook different temps. It's huge and awesome

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in