+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oyster crabs -

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

Oyster crabs -

I thought of another question:

Does anybody here eat oyster crabs? I'm told they are modestly rare but every time I buy a case of oysters I'm sure I get more than a dozen with a crab and sometimes two crabs.

Do you all eat the crabs or pick them out?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    We eat oysters and crabs here in md. Lots of oldbay and beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    Not blue claws - everybody eats them.

I am asking about oyster crabs - the little crabs that live inside oysters.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    We eat oysters and crabs here in md. Lots of oldbay and beer

PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Haha. Totally read that wrong.

Yes. They are pretty good. First time i was sketched out

Post Likes
    where to buy them?

Post Likes
    At first I thought you referred to an oyster with a problem. I never saw one. Are they from warmer waters. I know in LA the oysters are huge or at least the ones I know. They seem to get smaller further North but don't quote me.
    If they are like other crabs (spiders) they should be good. I think some might freak if a crab crawled out during dinner.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    I found this on a search. There is more out there.

Finding a pea crab inside your oyster is like finding a pearl, only better because they are a delicious delicacy you can eat. Try them raw or fry them in a pan, like an oyster you can have this crab both ways. Soft with a slight crunch, pea crabs have all the flavor of a larger crab stuffed into its tiny body.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Not really "warm" waters; no.

I find them fairly often in the Blue Point oysters I get from Connecticut but they are more numerous in the Delaware Bay oysters. I didn't used to like the Delaware Bay oysters very much; they are milder, and sometimes a little 'muddy', and taste less like the open ocean smells. But now they harvest a variety they raise in cages out in open Delaware Bay waters that are wonderful. Butt Busters - or something like that they are called.

No! Butt Ugly! That's their name. I get them by the case from Bivalve Packing Company - in Port Norris NJ.

The little crabs have a specific name but I can't remember it right this minute as I always call them oyster crabs. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    At first I thought you referred to an oyster with a problem. I never saw one. Are they from warmer waters. I know in LA the oysters are huge or at least the ones I know. They seem to get smaller further North but don't quote me.
    If they are like other crabs (spiders) they should be good. I think some might freak if a crab crawled out during dinner.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    There you go! Pea Crabs! <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I found this on a search. There is more out there.

Finding a pea crab inside your oyster is like finding a pearl, only better because they are a delicious delicacy you can eat. Try them raw or fry them in a pan, like an oyster you can have this crab both ways. Soft with a slight crunch, pea crabs have all the flavor of a larger crab stuffed into its tiny body.
    PHM
    --------

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in