+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellow Jacket Hand-held vacuum gauge 69086 Thoughts?

Post Likes

Yellow Jacket Hand-held vacuum gauge 69086 Thoughts?

I bought one about a week ago used it only on new linesets with a shutoff tee that I closed before opening valves. It worked great for about 7 installs. It just started reading error code 4. I just want to know if anyone else has had issues? Should I buy another make/model? Johnstone replaced it but I wanna have something that is dependable as I am doing at least one install a day.

Post Likes
    Buy a back up, I had similar issue with my YJ they made it right, but a back up gives you the ability to compare the two tools and not be caught with you pants down. My #2 is a CPS I like it too.
    Still learning opinions welcome.

Post Likes
    These digital guages ,all of them are NOT what you might think . They work only at higher vacuum and any oil on the sensor renders them useless ..untill you clean the oil .

You wont know there is oil so it is best to take as many precautions as you can.

I used the recommended alcohol method and was not successful..degreaser worked much better but Perhaps I was lucky with the particular petroleum based degreaser i used ,be careful with this.

I have both the yellow jacket and the round uei gauge ..they both suffer that same fate ...the uei is not as rugged and if you get oil contamination it wont even start which is very misleading and not mentioned in the manual ...nor is error 3 listed in th yellow jacket manual as OIL contamination.so thumbs down to both of them for not supplying the most basic of customer information...it says "contact your supplier"

The uei has a few useful tools like leak rate and alarm when set level reached

They are way overpriced for what is in them so i predict a chinese knock off in the near future

So make sure that it is always at the top with the inlet facing down at all times with a length of clear tube before the guage . You must fit a valve just before the guage and only take a reading after you are happy that you have a good vacuum already. Having said all this, there is nothing that is as accurate at high vacuum and there are times when too much info may not be a good thing .
    But learn to use them and keep them clean you will never look back.
    Some body here kindly pointed out that these thing dont measure vacuum at all ..they measure thermal conduction that varies in a a vacuum .

Thanks to all here who helped me with this by posting a few of the clues here .

Post Likes
    My sensor became oil fouled on a job and it was nice to be able to just screw in a clean one and keep going. Nice feature.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Post Likes
    Mine acted the same way, same error code and sometimes a different code. Sent it off and it came back with a new, apparently upgraded, sensor. No issues so far except for one occasion of oil fouling. A rinse with alcohol cured that. The cord appears to be permanently attached to the new sensor whereas the old one could be disconnected. I suspect it was a poor connection in the sensor plug causing the error codes.

Post Likes
    Bluvac

Post Likes
    Yellow jacket vacuum gauge 69086. has "error code 4". is indicating there is no communication between the gauge and the sensor. possible causes are...
    1. sensor not calibrated to the gauge.
    2. bad connection.
    3. gauge turned on before connection is made.
    4. connecting cable plugged in backwards into the gauge. the clip should be facing the front of the gauge.
    5. connection pins bent or blocked.
    6. faulty sensor

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    Bluvac
    Yup
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Again... Bluvac
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in