+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A split-bolt by any other name....

Post Likes

A split-bolt by any other name....

For years in and around Texas, I've heard split-bolt connectors referred to as:

Curnies, Cernies, Curnys, Kernies, Kearnies, Kearneys, etc....and seen them written up on service tickets in all these spellings....but I can't find a "correct" spelling for this term.

Help, anyone?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

2. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Always called them Burndies. I think that they were the first manufacturer of them. Hard to remember that far back.

Post Likes
    Burndy was the first to manufacture split bolt connectors http://www.burndy.com/industries/utility

5. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Kearney Engineers formed in 1926 by James R. Kearney. http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...r_history.html

7. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ive only ever heard them called split bolt connectors.

Mineralac straps is another one..... of course...everyone calls them that....sort of.... mineral lack mineral lax....

But Ive never seen anyone spell the name correctly...... or call them stand off straps which is what I call them.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Jonathan Lawson 2024

Post Likes

Lots O Labor

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    For years in and around Texas, I've heard split-bolt connectors referred to as:

Curnies, Cernies, Curnys, Kernies, Kearnies, Kearneys, etc....and seen them written up on service tickets in all these spellings....but I can't find a "correct" spelling for this term.

Help, anyone?
    How much labor goes with that Kerney (split bolt)?.............
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    It Depends on if its #14 or 1000 mcm copper That's a big Kerney Split bolt To insulate

11. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My dad was a lineman for over 40 years. He used to bring them home in his pockets, and Mom would put them in an aluminum dish in the laundry room. He would take them back to work, but my brother and I used to find all kinds of uses for them. He always called them Kearneys. I asked for some once at an Electrical supply in town, and the counter guy looked at me like I was nuts. That's when I was told they were split bolt connectors.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

13. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I actually had to google "split bolt connectors", I had no idea what you were talking about. I always call them bugs because that's what I was taught. In fact I have a funny story about that. The tech I was working with that day was an old southern guy and he sent me to the supply house for "bugs". I told him he didn't know what he was talking about. Low and behold the counter guy hands me the bugs without question. I go back and tell the tech that he was right. He says, "Boy, if I tell you a fly can pull a cart, hook him up". Hahaha

15. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    There burndies (burndy) in New England... as far as I know.

Post Likes
    All of the above, including bug nuts.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

18. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Always heard them called Kearneys here (wv) sometimes bug-nuts. I try to stay away from the latter, as I have seen all sorts of hardware referred to as "bug nuts"
    First time I ever saw "split bolt" was in a Grainger catalog.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    As a side note: what name(s) do yall use for the copper crimp rings used for grounds? Buchanans? I'm sure there's other names for them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Guys, this thread is over two years! Let it die.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    kearneys.jpg

Sometimes they are a must to repair some other boneheads mistakes.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in