Post Likes

Whole House Dehumidifier

My wife and I had a brand new 2.5 ton 15 SEER Heat Pump System installed in our house about 4 months ago. The condensing unit is outside, on the side of my house outside of the garage. The air handler is in the garage, on a plywood box that is (basically) the only air return vent in the house. The return vent is on a wall, about 3 inches off the floor and centrally located in my open floor plan home. There is no return duct work. The new system works great for cooling, but it seems to be too efficient. It cools the house quickly, but doesn't run enough to truly dehumidify my house. I live in Southeast Georgia, basically on the Atlantic Ocean and on the Florida/Georgia Border. I live in a 1500 square foot, four bedroom house. My humidity level ranges on average between 70-90%. It has gotten to where we leave the thermostat set to 74 degrees or lower in order to be comfortable. I am considering a whole house dehumidifier. My questions are: What would you professionals recommend (brand, size/capacity, etc.) for my home? How much should I expect to pay to have one of these units installed? I've noticed, while doing research on Google, that most of them use R410A refrigerant. Does this mean that my contractor would have to recapture all of the refrigerant from my system and plumb it into the existing system (I ask this so the contractors around here can't try to pull the wool over my eyes and tell/charge me for that service when they don't have to)? Where would be the best location to have them put a dehumidifier? Should the fact that I would like to eventually have the air handler put in the attic so as to facilitate putting in return ducts/vents in each of the bedrooms be taken into consideration? How long should it take for a good contractor to install one of these (can they have it done that day or should I make plans for alternate methods of cooling my bedrooms so we can sleep?) Will I need a new thermostat (the one I have is nothing fancy, it isn't even programmable)? Any advice you all can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    What is the longest cooling run in minutes your a/c has during peak cooling? Using your %RH meter, what is the temp/%RH of the air supply to the home at the closest grill? Running your blower in "on" of "auto"? Number of occupants?
    I can better comment on your basic question with this additional info. Near specific towns?
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"