Post Likes

Special Barber Colemen Siebe Global Control Module SIM-MTECH

I went to a JCPenny's store today because we were asked to work on an old network 8000 system that wasn't functioning correctly. What I found was something that I had never run into before. The GCM was a special part number being a SIM-MTECH. From what I can tell this was a special version that was released to communicate to McQuay Microtech controllers that were installed on some of the RTU's. It just so happens that all the issues I'm having are with the RTU's that communicate with the system through the Microtech network. Has anyone ever seen these? Does anyone have any information on how the special blocks work that provide the integration to the units? I saw a special block called a "ROOF1" that seems to provide the communication link. I can't seem to find anything online and Schneider won't talk to me because I'm not a dealer. I'm looking for anything to help me troubleshoot this system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by controltec View Post
    I went to a JCPenny's store today because we were asked to work on an old network 8000 system that wasn't functioning correctly. What I found was something that I had never run into before. The GCM was a special part number being a SIM-MTECH. From what I can tell this was a special version that was released to communicate to McQuay Microtech controllers that were installed on some of the RTU's. It just so happens that all the issues I'm having are with the RTU's that communicate with the system through the Microtech network. Has anyone ever seen these? Does anyone have any information on how the special blocks work that provide the integration to the units? I saw a special block called a "ROOF1" that seems to provide the communication link. I can't seem to find anything online and Schneider won't talk to me because I'm not a dealer. I'm looking for anything to help me troubleshoot this system.
    Did quite a few of these in the mid 90's. Several custom blocks that allowed the GCM to view points,do setpoint changes, start stop and so on. If you understand a basic GCM, the SIM-MTECH should be easy. I do recall it was slow, even by 1995 standards.

Post Likes
    Had a large printing plant that had the SPECIAL part # GCM for McQuay RTU's. It was a design build out of the USA and everything was shipped directly to site preprogrammed.

Had tech support at the factory at the time( 1994 ) fax me the info / literature on it for startup , I will see if I still have it filed away.

Plant only lasted a few years went bust and equipment / controls gutted when new owner took over.

Post Likes
    I have worked on other SIMs and what makes it a SIM is the SIM block. Try looking at that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
    I have worked on other SIMs and what makes it a SIM is the SIM block. Try looking at that.
    If I recall, the SIM block setup the comm. The RTU blocks had all the Mcquay info.

Post Likes

ASD Controller

Quote Originally Posted by control$ View Post
    Did quite a few of these in the mid 90's. Several custom blocks that allowed the GCM to view points,do setpoint changes, start stop and so on. If you understand a basic GCM, the SIM-MTECH should be easy. I do recall it was slow, even by 1995 standards.
    Does the SIM-MTECH communicate on the ASD bus? I'm looking at integrating an ASD system and wondering if it will just come in as an ASD controller?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rikenz View Post
    Does the SIM-MTECH communicate on the ASD bus? I'm looking at integrating an ASD system and wondering if it will just come in as an ASD controller?

Thanks!
    The "new" style GIMTECHS did have ASD and a IP or Lon com card. But it wasn't an ASD device, no GCM is. Trust me it ain't worth the work, if it even can be done. None of the ones's I've seen ever worked that great new.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by control$ View Post
    The "new" style GIMTECHS did have ASD and a IP or Lon com card. But it wasn't an ASD device, no GCM is. Trust me it ain't worth the work, if it even can be done. None of the ones's I've seen ever worked that great new.
    Sorry I should have given more information. I have a SIM-Mtech GCM that has one ASD bus communicating to 2 MZ2's then it has a second bus communicating with a rooftop Mcquay air handler and chiller. The Engineering documents show one ASD bus and one Mtech RTU bus. I would be integrating this into a Niagara JACE and can handle the ASD bus with a driver but I'm not sure about the Mtech RTU bus. Does anyone know what protocol it is?

Thank you!

Post Likes
    Depending on the customers attitude and pocket depth, one option would be just put up a Jace and serial into the SIM. Let sleeping dogs lie.