Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Why dont you go to amazon.com and buy a cheap pen type laser pointer. Lay the pointer in the pulley or sheave and I would almost bet money that it will be as close to spot on as we need to be.

Think of it...... straightedge....string...... pulley narrower than sheave......... lot of variables involved..... and Id say that most manufacturers of laser pointers have that laser diode in there to where it is pretty much shooting straight out of the pen body...... or at least straight enough for lining up two pulleys.

Want one with a straight cylinder body though....... so it will sit square in the pulley valley.

Someone try this......... I bet it will work fine.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Chewbacca Mom 2016

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TTer. View Post
    I picked up a Bosch 6" torpedo level with laser($40-$50). I use magnet on opposite pulley with markings on it to account for the distance that the laser is off of first pulley. Then I check on backside of pulleys too. It works out awesomely. A ton quicker, more accurate and cheaper.
    Can you post a pic of the magnet? Just curious on how you made the markings?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCR View Post
    Here's a small laser that will get you started.
    http://cycleplicity.com/products/244...FchDMgodXmYA8w
    This is one cool laser. I would think most pulleys would not lend to getting the short base of this laser square, however. I'm gonna try the torpedo level w/laser, anyone feel free to post links on those. I need to find the aforementioned Bosch.....

Post Likes
    $67
    http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/...ool-cat-d.html

$12.89
    http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Push-...+earth+magnets

I attached a piece of magnetic business card sticky to the base of the laser so it would stay on the pulley and painted the rest of the colored pins white, so I'd have spares.
    JUST A LITTLE CLOSER AND THE LITTER BOX IS ALL MINE!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tech45 View Post
    There is a need for a folding straight edge for sure. I was crammed in a smaller commercial ahu the other day and struggled.
    I made multiple straight edges of 18, 24, 30, 36 and 48 inches out of .090 aluminum, 1 1/4" wide; drilled holes at one end and put them on a 'keychain'. Cheap and always handy.
    JUST A LITTLE CLOSER AND THE LITTER BOX IS ALL MINE!

Post Likes
    Straight edge and your eyes are more than enough for most blower pulleys imo. Laser alignment tools seem more suited for coupled pumps i think. Alignment on those can be really critical in most cases I believe
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Post Likes
    Gates EZ-Align

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by IronArcher View Post
    Gates EZ-Align
    Posting in a 5 year old thread is frowned upon.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    You don't need a laser, string or anything else to get perfect sheave alignment. Leave the driven sheave set screw loose and start the motor. The belt tension will bring the sheave into alignment instantly. Shut the motor off and tighten the set screw. You are done and it is right.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    That will only align parallel

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Belt hog is fantastic. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Post Likes
    I have to admit I never tried self alignment on sheaves that were perpendicular to each other.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    I have to admit I never tried self alignment on sheaves that were perpendicular to each other.
    Your method does not account for angular mis-aligment.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast