+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheave/pulley alignment lasers?

Post Likes

Sheave/pulley alignment lasers?

Just curious if anyone has ever used one and if they liked it more than the old straight edge or string.

I would consider one if I could find one for around $200 but they all seem to be upwards of $1000 (which is crazy to me).

Post Likes
    Our vibration guy had a belt hog...@1600 bones I think its really crazy for what it is.

I have levels and straight edges...never an issue.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    Our vibration guy had a belt hog...@1600 bones I think its really crazy for what it is.

I have levels and straight edges...never an issue.
    I wonder if a checkpoint level and some homemade alignment targets would be just as accurate.....

I was hoping someone knew of a cheaper brand.

Post Likes
    I picked up a Bosch 6" torpedo level with laser($40-$50). I use magnet on opposite pulley with markings on it to account for the distance that the laser is off of first pulley. Then I check on backside of pulleys too. It works out awesomely. A ton quicker, more accurate and cheaper.

Post Likes
    I used a drive cleat the other day. It was an old drive and checked good on the torpedo.

Post Likes
    I was wondering if I could use a laser level and make my own targets. Seems like it works for you guys. Ill give it a shot.

Post Likes
    There is a need for a folding straight edge for sure. I was crammed in a smaller commercial ahu the other day and struggled.

Post Likes
    I have always tried to sight the belt(s) and pulley edges by eye. You can 'usually' find the plane of the edge of a pulley, and see how it corresponds to the other pulley. Becomes less accurate when one pulley has (much) more material outboard of the sheave, (but most of the time you can measure this). Measurements need to be taken with it running, and always be on the alert for the casting of the pulley to be perhaps true and straight for the sheaves, but the face is crooked, (even a billet has had the face crooked for me before). This will screw you up if you ck. when NOT running. That's where a torpedo laser level CAREFULLY placed against the side of a running belt can further reveal tidbits of misalignment. Thanks for the great info- I'm in the market for a new level now......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thankfulone View Post
    That's where a torpedo laser level CAREFULLY placed against the side of a running belt
    Yeah I'm going to recommend you don't do that.

Post Likes
    It's OK, I'm not speaking to untrained risk-takers. Just addressing those times when you must diagnose beyond what's considered 'normal' and sharing experience. No harm. Of course screwing around with running belts is inherently dangerous! My job sometimes involves dealing with troubleshooting problems inherently complex- where the 'typical' cannot be found. Just sharing- it's all good.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TTer. View Post
    I picked up a Bosch 6" torpedo level with laser($40-$50). I use magnet on opposite pulley with markings on it to account for the distance that the laser is off of first pulley. Then I check on backside of pulleys too. It works out awesomely. A ton quicker, more accurate and cheaper.
    X2 here. One of my techs showed this trick to me a few years ago. Works great especially on larger stuff, where a 4' level isn't long enough.

Post Likes
    Here's a small laser that will get you started.
    http://cycleplicity.com/products/244...FchDMgodXmYA8w
    UA LU 562

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCR View Post
    Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. I just need to buy/make some adjustable targets.

Post Likes
    Why dont you go to amazon.com and buy a cheap pen type laser pointer. Lay the pointer in the pulley or sheave and I would almost bet money that it will be as close to spot on as we need to be.

Think of it...... straightedge....string...... pulley narrower than sheave......... lot of variables involved..... and Id say that most manufacturers of laser pointers have that laser diode in there to where it is pretty much shooting straight out of the pen body...... or at least straight enough for lining up two pulleys.

Want one with a straight cylinder body though....... so it will sit square in the pulley valley.

Someone try this......... I bet it will work fine.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Jonathan Lawson 2024

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TTer. View Post
    Can you post a pic of the magnet? Just curious on how you made the markings?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCR View Post
    This is one cool laser. I would think most pulleys would not lend to getting the short base of this laser square, however. I'm gonna try the torpedo level w/laser, anyone feel free to post links on those. I need to find the aforementioned Bosch.....

Post Likes
    $67
    http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/...ool-cat-d.html

$12.89
    http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Push-...+earth+magnets

I attached a piece of magnetic business card sticky to the base of the laser so it would stay on the pulley and painted the rest of the colored pins white, so I'd have spares.
    JUST A LITTLE CLOSER AND THE LITTER BOX IS ALL MINE!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tech45 View Post
    There is a need for a folding straight edge for sure. I was crammed in a smaller commercial ahu the other day and struggled.
    I made multiple straight edges of 18, 24, 30, 36 and 48 inches out of .090 aluminum, 1 1/4" wide; drilled holes at one end and put them on a 'keychain'. Cheap and always handy.
    JUST A LITTLE CLOSER AND THE LITTER BOX IS ALL MINE!

Post Likes
    Straight edge and your eyes are more than enough for most blower pulleys imo. Laser alignment tools seem more suited for coupled pumps i think. Alignment on those can be really critical in most cases I believe
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Post Likes
    Gates EZ-Align

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in