Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    great video! Thanks all!
    Process cooling: NO COMPRESSORS Earth-Coupled since 1996
    ... however, much still needs to be hybridized energy transfer.

CLOSED LOOP 2015 listed EER's
    even 49+ now; and "blended from low to high variable speeds" for 32deg.F ~ E-Star

Perhaps you need a 32F Chiller/HW-Heat: buy a GEO-T Heat Pump (GHP with Heat-Recovery)
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...mal_heat_pumps

http://www.hydro-temp.com/products.html and Bosch/Carrier and AquasystemsInc.com

Post Likes
    I am so disappointed in my own expectations of the brand new Appion Valve core tool. Having watch several videos I had convinced myself that I could use it as a isolation valve for my Vacuum Pump. But I have tried for two days to make it work. I have discovered that the appion being vacuum rated means only when the valve is in the open position. To make sure it was just the valve and nothing else, I finally screwed the valve directly to my pump and capped off the far end, and placed a micron gauge directly to the side port (Yes we Nyloged the heck out of ever cap and fitting) we then fired up the pump, as you can guess it went straight to 150 microns in no time. We then moved the valve to the closed position. It rocketed to near atmosphere almost instantly. Bummer! We really need a Blank off or isolation valve for our pump. Has anyone actually found a 1/4" or 3/8" or 1/2" inline isolation valve that would work on a vacuum pump?

Post Likes
    Have you tried a pack less valve?
    Doug

Post Likes
    Thanks for that recommendation Doug. I will do a search on pack-less valves. Once I know what they are maybe we can find one. :-)

Post Likes
    I just re-watched a video several times showing a tech sealing off and vacuum testing a new line set and evaporator using 3 Appion valves. So I must assume I just have a rare lemon, or some kind of fake. At any rate thank heavens I bought it through Amazon since I am returning it tomorrow. I am glad I did not buy 3 of those expensive valves for evacuation jobs, as I had planned. I have one more coming and I will post if it acts the same. (Yes, we are evacuating the air from the ball in the early stages of the draw, once we get to about 1000 microns)

Post Likes
    are you sure you received a brand new valve?

I've bought stuff from amazon that was used. I think some people buy new replacement items for something they own, then return their used stuff as new. it would be hard to tell with those tools, unless they are beat up.

I'm sure if you contacted Appion directly, they would make it right.

Post Likes
    Just FYI, any core tool directly off of the pump will skyrocket when the pump is turned off. There is so little space with only the tool and the gauge that it is hyper sensitive. Try the test again with a vacuum rated hose and fresh recovery tank attached.

Post Likes
    Vacuum Isolation Test: My $11.99 Ball Valve vs Appion $52.00 CRT Valve

Each Valve was threaded directly to the ¼” male port of a digital micron gauge. Then the opposite end was connected to a 36” service hose, that was connected directly to a vacuum pump. In this configuration, once the ball valve was closed, the vacuum was trapped directly between the valve of the tool, and the micron gauge, removing any other variables. And with so little space it was very sensitive. But it was apples to apples.

The pump was then turned on and the pressure pulled to 200 microns. At this point the vale was closed, a stopwatch started, and the pump turned off.

Time readings were then taken at set intervals for each valve.

Drop times in minutes and seconds from 200 micron for the ¼” 11.99 ball valve:

1200 microns = 0:57
    1300 microns = 2:14
    1400 microns = 7:14
    Reading went stable at 1452 microns = 13:24

Drop times in minutes and seconds from 200 micron for the 52:00 Appion CRT Valve:

1200 Microns = 1:20
    1300 Microns = 1:49
    1400 Microns = 2:24
    1500 Microns = 3:08
    1600 Microns = 4:06
    1700 Microns = 4:52
    1800 Microns = 5:52
    1900 Microns = 7:03
    Never stabilized went off scale = 8:20

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ7YM View Post
    Vacuum Isolation Test: My $11.99 Ball Valve vs Appion $52.00 CRT Valve

Each Valve was threaded directly to the ¼” male port of a digital micron gauge. Then the opposite end was connected to a 36” service hose, that was connected directly to a vacuum pump. In this configuration, once the ball valve was closed, the vacuum was trapped directly between the valve of the tool, and the micron gauge, removing any other variables. And with so little space it was very sensitive. But it was apples to apples.

The pump was then turned on and the pressure pulled to 200 microns. At this point the vale was closed, a stopwatch started, and the pump turned off.

Time readings were then taken at set intervals for each valve.

Drop times in minutes and seconds from 200 micron for the ¼” 11.99 ball valve:

1200 microns = 0:57
    1300 microns = 2:14
    1400 microns = 7:14
    Reading went stable at 1452 microns = 13:24

Drop times in minutes and seconds from 200 micron for the 52:00 Appion CRT Valve:

1200 Microns = 1:20
    1300 Microns = 1:49
    1400 Microns = 2:24
    1500 Microns = 3:08
    1600 Microns = 4:06
    1700 Microns = 4:52
    1800 Microns = 5:52
    1900 Microns = 7:03
    Never stabilized went off scale = 8:20
    Well, see, when you factor in the “system effect”, then.....

Ah, who am I kidding? Sounds like a bad valve to me. I’ve got three of them and they have each held a vacuum below 300 microns on an evacuated system so I would say you’ve got a defective one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thanks Achso017, you made me chuckle. :-) Ya it seems we just got a rare lemon. We know Appion has the best reputation in the business. We just sent it back, and ordered a new one. (or 3 actually) It was a fun experiment though, and in all fairness I will post the better results from the replacement valves when they arrive. I learned a lot with this little glitch. Also our thanks again to Doug for turning us on to the Packless valve idea. All good stuff here we appreciate you all.

Post Likes
    As promised, we want to report that the replacement Appion CRT we got in exchange for the returned one, has a leak rate that is very acceptable. (Verified at 1:00 AM this morning, Yawn :-) I must say though, that the little $11.99 valve we used as a standard to compare against in this test, though not a CRT, was quite remarkable in it's ability to isolate the system. I think I will use that valve between my micron gauge, and the Appion CRT, to protect it from oil.

12. Likes Achso017 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123