Thread: Problem with condensate drain leak (I think) Have thoroughly researched and need HELP

Post Likes

Problem with condensate drain leak (I think) Have thoroughly researched and need HELP

This is a problem regarding my mothers home. She has a two unit system, one for the upstairs and the other for the downstairs. They are Rheem Seer 10 units. There is a leak that occurs as a steady drip from an air vent in our dinning room ceiling (downstairs) when the upstairs unit is running. After researching I targeted a drain pipe clog as the source of the problem. The only pipe I could find outside is a 3/4" pipe extending horizontally from the brick wall of the house near the unit. I tried shop-vaccuming it out but it seems to connect to the empty drip pan beneath the unit in the attic. None of the pans in the attic have any water and I couldn't find a drop up there anywhere around the unit. I tried adding bleach into the open vertical pipe that extends up from a 3/4" pipe leaving the unit in the attic, and the leak started up as soon as I did and then stopped pretty soon after, indicating that the bleach I added caused the leak to temporarily start back up . So, what the heck is going on?? please help!

Jason

Post Likes
    Remove the vent to see if water is coming from the inside or if it sweating on the face of the register and is dripping.
    Sometimes you will have dripping and the water seems to come from nowhere. The ductwork is dry inside and outside.

When that happens, either you have increased humidity hitting the cold register or colder than normal airflow. The symptom typically shows up at one grill.
    I'd check the airflow first. Check the filters to make sure they're clean. Many Rheems have a plastic screen filter in the base of the unit that comes from the factory. If it was left in there and external filters are used on the unit, the plastic screen will clog after several years of operation. This clogged screen will slow airflow enough to cause many different symptoms including dripping from the grill.

If that's not your situation, then call a service company. You could have several other causes for slow airflow or something I'm not thinking of. Sometimes nothing can replace a visual inspection and evaluation of a system by an experienced professional.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in