Thread: Copeland scroll

Post Likes

Copeland scroll

Had a Copeland change out today. Old comp had prong with spade soldered on to accept female. New comp, "Copeland" just prong. I am a newbie so I was wondering is the spade prong combo normal and if so why did new comp only have prong? I bought terminal lock set from the parts house that was as bewildered with my inquiry as well. Is there a compressor kit for this and if so whats it called?

Post Likes
    There should have been a box inside the compressor box with a wire harness inside

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Likes
    Todd, first and foremost I would check to make sure you have the right replacement compressor. Have you checked for that. Your new compressor is designed as a "plug in" similar to anything you would plug into a wall. If this is a retrofit and the supplier recommended this as a replacement, then just as Craig said there should have been a wiring connected to three prong plug/harness. As a newbie, quick tip on new compressor replacement..... Unbox your compressor and ....always check terminals electrically, check nameplate for correct voltages versus old compressor, piping configurations, amp draw comparisons, and if noted .... the btu rating. Nothing is more frustrating to install a compressor and find out it's wrong.

*** UPDATE*** I did go back and reread your post. If you telling me that the prongs were soldered on and not there originally, tells me that that compressor was replaced before and someone installed a different compressor beside the oem and that person cut and removed the plug in section from the wiring and soldered spades onto the compressor terminals to accept the non-oem compressor that they were installing. I would call Copeland or talk to your parts house/parts rep and ask them if they have the three prong harness for your compressor. Believe me someone has it. Don't half- ass your work. Do it right man! Do it right!
    Last edited by DarkSunRider; 07-26-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: something to add thats important

Post Likes
    They sent me to the parts house and said find something that works, so I did one better by purchasing the proper, or the best option rather than a amateur hour splice and dice. The box had nothing but a few pieces of paper. I was an assist on the job since I am still tagging along, so the primary tech loaded what was ordered. I'm headed back out early to make certain this terminal lock looks good and ditch the stakes. The spades looked really good, as if not done in the field. I will check the numbers and make sure these things jive. I have had issues with these techs methods, so I will talk to the right people. Thanks

Post Likes
    Name:  IMAG0947.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  43.1 KBName:  IMAG0950.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  35.9 KBName:  IMAG0946.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  26.8 KBName:  IMAG0950.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  35.9 KB So the Term-Lok was a choice. Had to trim the black cover to allow for the wires. re-insulated the line, wire ties, and I am happy with it. Runs good. Oh this is an Icee machine, so I know i posted in the wrong forum, but it was a compressor question hehe.

Post Likes
    There is a plug harness specially made for that.

Post Likes
    I was told, but none in the box at the warehouse, or any of the other ones on hand. The parts house did not know what I was talking about even though I spoke to a guy who was quite familiar with Copeland products.