Post Likes

is this possible?

I know the first thing everyone will think when they read this is, "Sheesh, that is ancient!"
    Yes, I know, but I still need some advice!
    I have a Trane Weathertron BWR730E100A that was manufactured in 1986. Yep, 1986.
    It has only just begun to give me trouble -- I'd love to make a commercial for Trane in exchange for a new unit!
    Does anyone know if there is a compressor available to replace the one that is just starting to conk out? Technician tells me that it is shutting itself off because it has a switch inside that does that, when the temp gets too high. It is still cooling, just not as well, since it shuts off intermittently.
    Is there a compressor that can be retrofit to this old unit?
    Thanks for any advice you can give!

Post Likes
    Maybe the temp is getting too high for another reason.......
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Was the condenser coil washed? Fan motor check out ok? Yeah you can put a replacement compressor in it if you like, just match the btu rating, change capacitor and do a little piping and any (same size) compressor will work. Does it have the climatuff compressor (big orange compressor)?

Post Likes
    The internal overload is a safety it could be opening for a reason or openening cause it itself is failing.

As far as a compressor for that vintage unit...its not worth the coin. Get yourself a modern unit installed properly.

Post Likes
    How can I say it so you will believe me? DON'T DO IT!
    I compare it to putting a new engine in a 30 year old Ford Pinto. I'm sure you can find a compressor that can be piped in, or even a designated replacement compressor. Once you've spent the money for the repairs you've committed yourself to using R-22. You'll feel that you'll have to repair all the other things that will fail before long. You'll resent the guy who sent you down that road.
    Do yourself a favor and buy a modern system with a warranty and better efficiency.

Post Likes
    While I advise against it. They still make replacement compressors for that unit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Was the condenser coil washed? Fan motor check out ok? Yeah you can put a replacement compressor in it if you like, just match the btu rating, change capacitor and do a little piping and any (same size) compressor will work. Does it have the climatuff compressor (big orange compressor)?
    Yep, it's pretty large, and kinda orangey red...guess it was orange 27 years ago!
    The only other thing that's been tried was to replace an oil filled capacitor....then when the compressor would start and stop while tech was standing there with gauges attached, he gave that assessment. I will ask about the other things you mentioned above.....thanks!

Post Likes
    time to recycle that unit also dont expect the new unit to last 1/2 as long
    Go Trump

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Hey, Jtrammel, if you look at this again, I appreciate your input! I searched and saw ways to clean the coil in the (attic) air handler unit so I did that.
    My question is this: the coil in the outdoor unit looks like Christmas garland stacked up; it doesn't look like the coil upstairs....how to clean it?
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    The top and outer panels have to be taken off then a water hose. If it hasn't been cleaned in a while it may take some industrial condenser coil cleaner. Those spiney fin coils get plugged up fairly easily and are hard to get clean. Better than nothing would be just blowing some water pressure up through the coil guard panels. I suggest calling another contractor to come service the unit, wash coils ect. Those climatuff compressors really are tough and you can get a replacement if needed. I wouldn't reccomend replacing the compressor if it is in fact toast, its time for a new system but if all it is is a dirty condenser coil then I'd clean it and run it til it dies. New units aren't built to last like the one you have now they're built to last until the 10 year warranty expires, similar to new cars.