Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by seven50rider View Post
    I didn't turn it off. I didn't hear it the a/c part in the house running but when I went outside it was running but the fan on top was not spinning.
    That would lead me to believe you have, at least in part; one specific, high-volatge passing component (or the circuit that feeds it) outside that needs to be addressed quickly.

The outside and inside units should never run independently of one another for any significant period of time.

Please call for service.

Post Likes
    It did it again.. Called to have someone come look at it tomorrow. Hopefully its nothing tooo major and not too expensive. What are some price ranges I should be expecting for different things?

Post Likes
    It did it again.. Called to have someone come look at it tomorrow. Hopefully its nothing tooo major and not too expensive. What are some price ranges I should be expecting for different things?
    Hopefully not too expensive...you should have shut the unit down like you were advised this morning. Leaving it running after you already have seen it act abnormally is never a good thing with mechanical equipment. When it doubt, lock it out!
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    SERIOUSLY!!! turn this OFF!

DO NOT RUN THE SYSTEM AGAIN UNTIL IT'S FIXED!!!

unless you want to replace the entire unit... and yeah, THAT will be expensive!
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    I had turned it off for the day because I was gone and I turned it on once I got home to see what it would do and it did it so I turned it back off. I then called someone to come look at it early today and they came and confirmed that it was the condenser fan motor that was going bad. He said it was fairly easy to do it and that if I had them do it, it would cost $. So, Im going to do it myself. Is there anything I should know before I do it? Seems pretty straight forward.

Pricing isn't allowed
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 07-06-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Post Likes
    you should know that you could mess it up
    Economy - Quality - Speed <---- pick two

Post Likes
    unfortunately, this site does not allow us to assist with DIY.

I hope you know what you are doing. I carry several specific tools for changing OFM's they can be changed with standard tools, but it's often very difficult... of course, I'm in the south with lots of humidity...
    Good luck.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Alright, wasnt aware of that. Thats fine. I just took it out, it all came apart really easy. Just have to wait on the new part to get here. Thank you to everyone who replied.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 07-06-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Post Likes
    When my wife and I finished our basement we did, in fact, save considerable dollars planning, studding and dry walling the walls. What we did not save is time. A lot of time. So much time we thought at one point it would never get done.

We also saved a bunch of money when we installed a couple pallets of land scaping rock.

I will never...ever touch one of those projects again; and happily handed a fat check over to a real contractor the other year when a corner of our yard needed the retaining wall redone correctly.

When the new motor comes and requires a different rated component than OEM are you going to have one handy? If it's a four wire instead of a three wire are you going to be able to adapt quickly and safely? Are those Utube videos assuming you have basic electrical knowledge and, if not, are they remembering to give you every single detail needed to complete the job correctly and safely? Are you prepared to take the protective steps necessary depending on if the motor is mounted horizontally or vertically? And other issues I can't even dredge up right now as it's just second nature to me.

I personally have no problem with you taking it on, you are one of the very few who will wait and take the time. If you were my neighbor I'd tell you to call me over for a beer when you get the motor and I'd watch over your shoulder while you do it.

Best of luck...please keep safety first when dealing with high voltage.

Post Likes
    kysoccer25

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    When my wife and I finished our basement we did, in fact, save considerable dollars planning, studding and dry walling the walls. What we did not save is time. A lot of time. So much time we thought at one point it would never get done.

We also saved a bunch of money when we installed a couple pallets of land scaping rock.

I will never...ever touch one of those projects again; and happily handed a fat check over to a real contractor the other year when a corner of our yard needed the retaining wall redone correctly.

When the new motor comes and requires a different rated component than OEM are you going to have one handy? If it's a four wire instead of a three wire are you going to be able to adapt quickly and safely? Are those Utube videos assuming you have basic electrical knowledge and, if not, are they remembering to give you every single detail needed to complete the job correctly and safely? Are you prepared to take the protective steps necessary depending on if the motor is mounted horizontally or vertically? And other issues I can't even dredge up right now as it's just second nature to me.

I personally have no problem with you taking it on, you are one of the very few who will wait and take the time. If you were my neighbor I'd tell you to call me over for a beer when you get the motor and I'd watch over your shoulder while you do it.

Best of luck...please keep safety first when dealing with high voltage.
    Good job on the basement too....I think that's where you filmed the fengmastr video...very nice.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Good job on the basement too....I think that's where you filmed the fengmastr video...very nice.
    Thanks. But that was the work of a real contractor - we just did the rough - in stuff. No way I was going to invest that much time and not have it pass inspection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12