Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Work hard, learn a lot & get customers who love you and request you. If you don't get the pay you want just quit and if you’re any good they will hire you back over and over again. Don’t worry the branch managers never last more than a year so they will rehire you again and again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DDC6907 View Post
    Work hard, learn a lot & get customers who love you and request you. If you don't get the pay you want just quit and if you’re any good they will hire you back over and over again. Don’t worry the branch managers never last more than a year so they will rehire you again and again.
    That seems like rather chaotic system, but it is an interesting insight into the field. Have you done this before?
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    Only 3 time but was offered to come back 5

Post Likes
    Johnson Controls has some really good training. I'm all for learning on my own, but to get paid for training is really sweet. The Tech Edge program was a program where you would accomplish self study objectives then take a class, more self study then another class etc... I think we started out with Hvac fundamentals, control fundamentals, unt controllers, Dx-9100, AHU controllers, GPL, and JC Basic, and actually writing a database.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by simux View Post
    I'm all for learning on my own, but to get paid for training is really sweet.
    That is true - it sucks to spend 8 hrs slogging through material 3rd graders should know - UNLESS - you are getting paid by the hour to do it....

Does the attached pictures look familiar? sounds like what you were describing. It looks like 6 solid weeks sitting in a classroom, give or take. I would imagine this needs to conform to a preset schedule when classes are already set up, meaning advance notice and likely travel to a location - making it hard to breeze through these administratively. What is a reasonable timeline for finishing this?

You mentioned negotiating attendance in this school - what sort of terms did you negotiate for? Soemthing like all the calsses in 3 mos? just curious.

I could see how this would be a high stakes investment. Just one of these plus hotel would be several thousand dolars, all to see the tech go down in flames because he cant figure out how to flush a dns cache or ping an IP address...

Thanks again for the Info....

Name:  IMG_20130620_230204.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  42.4 KBName:  IMG_20130620_230250.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  41.4 KBName:  IMG_20130620_230317.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  48.1 KBName:  IMG_20130620_230348.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  44.9 KB
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    JCI almost got me electrocuted today. One of their controls guys shut an enclosure and pinched a 120v wire. They have the boxed mounted on a wall with a thin space between it and the duct work for the AHU. I have to slide between the two to reach the filter rack and drain lines. Luckily, the front of the box is mostly wood. The sparks shooting out scare the crap out of me.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    I worked there for 8 years as a Systems Rep, DDC tech. It is a great place to learn and take it for what it is. JCI is a large multi-national company that looks out for its shareholders before anything or anyone else. Every location and every team will have its good and bad points, not unlike any other job you will take.

The old Tech Edge course was a great thing for new guys and is worth taking. If you take the job put in the extra time to learn on your own as you will have your feet put to the fire before you get any real training. Learn from others, keep your ears open and be a team player. You should get the chance to perform a myriad of work hopefully on all types of equipment and should keep you interested for a few years.

Like any other endeavor you take on, go in with the proper attitude, take what it gives you and if you feel like it put in more then what is asked of you.

JCI will treat you like a number and have very large expectations from you after about 6 months. They will probably put a sales number on you and ask you to meet it no matter what role you have. You will be asked to have unrealistic margin goals on all projects no matter how big or small. Management will changeover frequently unless you are in a small market they are not focused on. Your customers will have a love hate relationship with the company. Staff will be the same way with the company. Stay out of the politics and concentrate on your task and its fine.

Once you reach the level of bull that you can no longer tolerate, take what you learned and move on.

Hope this helps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Froz'ninWpg View Post
    I worked there for 8 years as a Systems Rep, DDC tech. It is a great place to learn and take it for what it is. JCI is a large multi-national company that looks out for its shareholders before anything or anyone else. Every location and every team will have its good and bad points, not unlike any other job you will take.

The old Tech Edge course was a great thing for new guys and is worth taking. If you take the job put in the extra time to learn on your own as you will have your feet put to the fire before you get any real training. Learn from others, keep your ears open and be a team player. You should get the chance to perform a myriad of work hopefully on all types of equipment and should keep you interested for a few years.

Like any other endeavor you take on, go in with the proper attitude, take what it gives you and if you feel like it put in more then what is asked of you.

JCI will treat you like a number and have very large expectations from you after about 6 months. They will probably put a sales number on you and ask you to meet it no matter what role you have. You will be asked to have unrealistic margin goals on all projects no matter how big or small. Management will changeover frequently unless you are in a small market they are not focused on. Your customers will have a love hate relationship with the company. Staff will be the same way with the company. Stay out of the politics and concentrate on your task and its fine.

Once you reach the level of bull that you can no longer tolerate, take what you learned and move on.

Hope this helps.
    This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123