Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post

They are talking about goals picked out by the tech, approved by a manager.... Then you get a big raise... I have had bad experiences with vague 'goals' that are set and met to get raises or anything for that matter. somehow the goalposts always end up moving...

Thanks in advance
    MBO. Management By Objective. Interesting. This has been proven not to work. It's 80's era leadership ethos.

Post Likes
    I kinda figured there would be negative responses. Unless they include phrases like 'I worked there for.... years' or 'some good things are...., some bad things are.....' I tend to dismiss the comments altogether.
    a few posts have been by guests. I may try to email later with some questions.

Thanks guys!
    I guess your not interested in real customer feedback about the company you want to work for. You should fit right in then.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    I guess your not interested in real customer feedback about the company you want to work for. You should fit right in then.
    now now that is not nice.

I meant no harm, I just mean that hater input tends to be imbalanced and one sided, and therefore not all that useful. I apologize if I seemed dismissive. Also I was trying to type on my teensy phone - A thankless chore.

I don't know how some know what they know - and honestly I have all kinds of nice things to say about most places I worked. Once a guy in the company I was with beat another accross the face with angle iron, after the other came at him with a shiv he made in our sheet metal shop - not a great place to work really, but I learned a lot there and had some good times too.

I tend to see posts that basically say 'they suck' as one sided and not too helpful. Stuff like 'get in writing' is also not really positive, but is a good reminder. Several others have pm'd me with other good, balanced, positive and negative feedback.

If you could tell me how you know what you know - or how you came to this conclusion, or if there was even one decent thing about JCI - it would add a little credibility in my mind - that is what I was trying to say. thats all
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    MBO. Management By Objective. Interesting. This has been proven not to work. It's 80's era leadership ethos.
    do you ghave a reference? sounds interesting.

I am a firm believer in the Demming management method - not to hijack my own thread of course.....

Post Likes
    I think with any large company, you're going to have to look at the individual branch/department. I was at JCI for 8 years as a mech, and it was a job that paid me well for what I was doing. My time there certainly had its ups and downs, but you're going to have that anywhere you go.

As far as training goes, I have found it to be more satisfactory to just take it upon myself to make it happen. If you look around, you can find just about any type of program or institution you desire. If you see something out there you think you might benefit from, just go do it. If you're going to have to come out of pocket to make it happen, suck it up...your future is worth it.

Post Likes
    JCI Was great to work for when Joe Lewis was in charge, went downhill after that imo. Spent 10 years there and chose not to accept the new improved LSS role, had a job the next week making 35% more. Well worth it for the training.

Post Likes
    now now that is not nice.

I meant no harm, I just mean that hater input tends to be imbalanced and one sided, and therefore not all that useful. I apologize if I seemed dismissive. Also I was trying to type on my teensy phone - A thankless chore.

I don't know how some know what they know - and honestly I have all kinds of nice things to say about most places I worked. Once a guy in the company I was with beat another accross the face with angle iron, after the other came at him with a shiv he made in our sheet metal shop - not a great place to work really, but I learned a lot there and had some good times too.

I tend to see posts that basically say 'they suck' as one sided and not too helpful. Stuff like 'get in writing' is also not really positive, but is a good reminder. Several others have pm'd me with other good, balanced, positive and negative feedback.

If you could tell me how you know what you know - or how you came to this conclusion, or if there was even one decent thing about JCI - it would add a little credibility in my mind - that is what I was trying to say. thats all
    It's just my experience with them in this territory, not a blanket statement about the whole enchilada.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    It's just my experience with them in this territory, not a blanket statement about the whole enchilada.
    Thanks bud - what territory? I tried to poke around your profile and find out, but I did not see anything to give that away.

Post Likes
    Oh NOLA I thought my avator was self explanatory.

Post Likes
    I do agree that a particular manager can make or break a branch. When I started with JCI they offered me a low starting salary and then I negotiated the Tech Edge program. Not sure what they offer now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by simux View Post
    I do agree that a particular manager can make or break a branch. When I started with JCI they offered me a low starting salary and then I negotiated the Tech Edge program. Not sure what they offer now.
    Whats the Tech Edge program?

Post Likes
    Whats the Tech Edge program?
    Its a training program new hires can go through at corporate. Intense study for a week or so on your new role, and how you perform it.

Don't think we call it that anymore, but the program still exists.

Post Likes
    Maybe it is the Service Technical Academy? I got a pamphlet last time I was in there.

the main thing that has me worried is this goals thing. I don't usually fit into tried and true training programs. I went from a no trade school helper at $12/hr to the senior tech at my company, passed all NATE Tests, UA STAR, and NCI, doing classes for the other guys at $35/hr - all in 3.5 yrs. This is impossible in a standard trade school based career path. I don't want to end up in a 12-18 month, 'standard' career arc when I can get it done in 3 months. I don't like large classes, because I usually get more done in less time on my own. I know I am ignorant of what day to day life is like for a controls guy - so maybe it wont be as quick as I think... I am confident, not hubristic.

So with that background in mind, what kind of 'goals' should I ask to set to allow for the fastest progress? I intend to ask for a 3 month trial period, not 6. I would like to include this tech edge program as a goal for me to complete in that timeframe, so I can be running service calls on my own ASAP. I don't want to waste 6 months at a cheapo trial padawan wage on 'improve customer satisfaction' goals. I want to be a full on Jedi with a paycheck to match asap. and I dont want to be tied down by the fear of my supervisor either.

And since I have gotten burned badly on the 'start low now and we will raise you later' promise, I would want to map that out before I start if possible. So any suggestions on mapping that out?

I have gotten GREAT responses by email, if any of you prefer, feel free to email to the address in my profile.

Numba

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast