Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Whats it like working at Johnson Controls?

I am interviewing now and would like to know from som fellow Htalkers.

We are at the "we like each other, but need to agree on compensation" phase - I am interviewing to start as a Controls Service tech. they say they have absolutely no doubt as to my mechanical qualifications, and the computer side seems about as good as you can get without having actually done controls before.

They are talking about goals picked out by the tech, approved by a manager.... Then you get a big raise... I have had bad experiences with vague 'goals' that are set and met to get raises or anything for that matter. somehow the goalposts always end up moving... But JCI seems more reputable than most - just looking for insights from the inside.

Anyhow - I know the people vary from one place to another, but at the same time JCI is a big enough corporate entity that there must be some sort of standard practice shared between locations.

If you would rather PM me that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    The JCI techs I have worked with had no mechanical qualifications and were really good at bsing. PeacE.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    The JCI techs I have worked with had no mechanical qualifications and were really good at bsing. PeacE.
    Then I know I will definitely fit in... :-)

Actually - most controls guys I know of, reguardless of the company they work for, fit into that category. But as much as I might like to bash incompetence, I am actually looking to get an insight to the inner workings of an organization.

thanks for the reply though...

Numba
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    Inner workings that I have experienced- fleece customers, gang like mentality, no support etc. JMHO.

Post Likes
    Practice kicking yourself in the balls repeatedly. That's the only way to prepare yourself to handle the multiple unnecessary levels of middle management a$$kissers that leach off the profit that field guys earn while trying to find a way to screw over other divisions of the company that might as well be separate companies. Oh yeah, don't forget "vision week" LMAO!

Post Likes
    Most control techs that have worked for JCI have to take their skills to another controls company to get a pay raise. Get as much as you can up front like training etc... because the raises may not come as fast as you would like.

Post Likes
    The JCI Techs I knew in Texas were first rate, but it was another slave labor shop, just like Trane et.al. They got the hell out of there after being overworked in many cases.

Post Likes
    I tried to pm you simux could you elaborate on your experience? Any suggestions on training to ask for?

Post Likes
    As you see from above, everyone has their own opinions.

I have worked for JCI for 13 years in a variety of rolls. The ST position is a good starter position in the company. I've seen ST's grow into management rolls, into sales rolls, or just stay on the operations side.

Honestly it all comes down to your boss. A strong boss that cares about your development makes all the difference.

Post Likes
    I kinda figured there would be negative responses. Unless they include phrases like 'I worked there for.... years' or 'some good things are...., some bad things are.....' I tend to dismiss the comments altogether.
    a few posts have been by guests. I may try to email later with some questions.

Thanks guys!

Post Likes
    If your goal is to get into the controls game.......why not soak up some experience and training from JCI? Then if you want to move on......at least you have some experience to put on your resume.

JCI is like every other big controls company......you have 1 good guy for every 10. Some branches are better then others. You are limited to your job description......be it programming, installation, or service.

But again...if your goal is to get into controls, it can't hurt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by plotzy View Post
    As you see from above, everyone has their own opinions.

I have worked for JCI for 13 years in a variety of rolls. The ST position is a good starter position in the company. I've seen ST's grow into management rolls, into sales rolls, or just stay on the operations side.

Honestly it all comes down to your boss. A strong boss that cares about your development makes all the difference.

It appears that he is interviewing for a controls tech in a service department and not for a ST(Systems Tech)....

I started in the service branch as a union mech and did some controls work but went straight controls when a Systems Designer job came up ............
    UA Local 141

Post Likes
    Whatever you agree on with them get it in writing!
    About 15 years ago I interviewed agreed on salary w/ JCI then after I had given my two week notice just before I was to start work, they called me up and told me that I would actually get 20% less than we had agreed on. Needless to say I stayed where I was and didn't go to JCI?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast