Post Likes

Smile Can a furnace be replaced with a new hp in one day?

I am replacing a gas furnace and am also considering a hp install at the same time and I have several questions. A Carrier salesman said that I could expect the hp to supply my heating and cooling needs for about 310 days a year. He also suggested a 58MVB080 - 14 Infinity 96 and a 25 HNA6 - 036 Infinity 16 with the Infinity control would be a good fit. For the background info. I live on the " Wet " coast in a 20 yr. old 3300 sq. ft. house with a slab on grade for first floor. The original furnace is a Lennox approx. 100,000 btu. located on the main floor.

1) Is there some way of determining the condition/quality of the ducting short of tearing the ceiling down? ( All of the ductwork is located on the main floor and is covered by a finished ceiling.) Because we don't have extreme temp. here I was hoping a hp could be sized on the smaller side because of the expected duct size restriction. Is this reasonable?

2) What should I be looking for if I want to optimize humidity control, ideally at approx. 45% ( to limit the affects of dust mites )

3) I also would like to know if a American Standard Accuclean air cleaner(I believe this identical to the Trane CleanEffects) can be installed with the Carrier system wo any conflicts? (ie. the infinity stat. ect.) I am very concerned about the IAQ because of my children having asthma and allergies to various pollens and myself being diagnosed with an industrially aqquired lung disease.

4) How far can the hp be located from the furnace before more Puron must be added. ( length of run is approx. 55 to 60 ft.). And does the copper piping need to be jacketed or covered some how if it is run across the home through a dropped ceiling?

5) Given how vital a quality install is to a properly functioning system, is it reasonable to expect my old furnace can be removed and the hp, new furnace, air cleaner and the electrical and new duct to tie in can all be done in one day by one tech. ( the electrical pnl. is within 5 ft. of furnace and easily accessible.)

Any and all responses appreciated.

Thank in advance.

Post Likes
    Yes you can install the Trane CleanEffects air cleaner on any brand. But you will have to buy from a trane dealer.
    As far as Humidity and air flow goes, I would recommend you look into a variable speed air air handler, and 2 stage Heatpump with humidity control feature.

Yes the refrigerant line will need to be insulated, (no matter where it is run). If you are going with Puron (R-410A) you should replace the refrigerant lines.

Don't think you will get this done in one day, unless they send a large crew.
    Last edited by lonw; 03-05-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: additional info

Post Likes
    1 tech in 1 day. No way.

2-3= sure.

Post Likes
    I do not think 1 crew could do it all in one day,if they did it it would make Wall of Shame area,and if they had to do all in one day everyday how exhausted are those guys going to be. I think attention to detail would be lacking.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes
    1 guy can do it, but it will be a very, very long day for him.

2 guys would be much better.

Post Likes
    Actually the Carrier setup she mentioned is variable speed with a 2-speed heat pump. Just using gas in a duel-fuel/ hybrid system.
    And if youre concerned about going without heat for more than 1 day, they should be able to do the job and switch over the furnace itself in 1 day to have heat by the evening. But the whole job would probably require a couple days more than likely.

Post Likes
    Just wanted to add, these are the kinds of jobs I use to get on my last day before a vacation. I've spent several Friday nights installing big systems, and having to cancel my travel plans because of it. It is no fun, and is poor business to make an installer do it, but it happens everyday.

Post Likes
    EPS

This is a 3 ton heat pump for a 3300 sq ft home? Is the Infinity system quoted for the entire home or just one floor? I would want to see the load calculations in writing.

My opinion.