Thread: CCN to BacNet

Post Likes

CCN to BacNet

We are currently doing a major overhaul of the controls at a central thermal plant, using Tridium. They have small remote plant that is all CCN. They want to bring it into the new system. It consists of 4 chillers, 4 chillers, and 4 towers.

I went over there to see want they had. I uploaded the network. It has 4 19EX Centrifugal Chiller controllers w/ displays, 3 6400's, a Data Collector, and a Chillervisor.

Our original plan was to utilize our local Carrier Distributor to map all the points and utilize Bacnet to Carrier Translators. But once we gave them the database....they said they couldn't handle it, do to the 19EX's and the Chillvisor.

Our salesman is pushing for us to just use the Tridium CCN driver, but I'm fighting it do to the lack of maintenance, config, and service tables. And with a site like this.....that's alot missing.

Then it was brought up about installing Ivu and bringing it into Tridium. I have alot experience with Ivu, but not bringing it into Tridium.

Any input....anyone?

Post Likes
    Our local Carrier rep has used an advanced driver in the past, which allowed them to access the maintenance, config and service tables. I'm unsure if this is only available to Carrier reps or to everyone, but it may be worth looking in to.

Post Likes
    You sure about that. That would be the enhanced version of the driver. We would love to get our hands on it. From what we have been told......its not available. This is from Tridium and Carrier.

Was that an integration into a Jace by Carrier? Did you actually see the station?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    The number of CCN points are not that much. For getting this data over to Tridium, you could use an i-Vu Open Link
    with one i-Vu Open UPC connected to each chiller (or CCN device, your budget choice), and add some custom SNAP integration programs, and you could have access to much of what is needed to be shipped back and forth between the CCN and Tridium systems.

I do a quite a bit of this type of BACnet to CCN integration, and there is no need for any special drivers, just for a i-Vu BACnet to CCN experienced integrator and SNAP programmer.

Once the i-Vu Open SNAP programming and points configuration are done, you will not even need to have a i-Vu Open Server or Field Assistant (except that occasional adjustment, which Field Assistant on a laptop would be the way to go). Although if you did get an i-Cu Open Plus Server onto the project, they are releasing some very nicely done "Chiller Manager" programs and graphics
    that would definately handle the project you described.

In a matter of months, the i-Vu Open Links will be talking to CCN Comm buss on one port, BACnet MSTP on another port,
    and BACnet/IP on the TCP/IP port. Not sure who you local rep is, but this is very much straight forward integration.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Post Likes
    Have'nt seen it with my own eyes, but I was told its only available to Carrier Coporate.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    The number of CCN points are not that much. For getting this data over to Tridium, you could use an i-Vu Open Link
    with one i-Vu Open UPC connected to each chiller (or CCN device, your budget choice), and add some custom SNAP integration programs, and you could have access to much of what is needed to be shipped back and forth between the CCN and Tridium systems.

I do a quite a bit of this type of BACnet to CCN integration, and there is no need for any special drivers, just for a i-Vu BACnet to CCN experienced integrator and SNAP programmer.

Once the i-Vu Open SNAP programming and points configuration are done, you will not even need to have a i-Vu Open Server or Field Assistant (except that occasional adjustment, which Field Assistant on a laptop would be the way to go). Although if you did get an i-Cu Open Plus Server onto the project, they are releasing some very nicely done "Chiller Manager" programs and graphics
    that would definately handle the project you described.

In a matter of months, the i-Vu Open Links will be talking to CCN Comm buss on one port, BACnet MSTP on another port,
    and BACnet/IP on the TCP/IP port. Not sure who you local rep is, but this is very much straight forward integration.
    So I went through the existing Comfortworks front end we the operators, today. It looks like 95% of the info and control they need I can achieve with the existing CCN driver. The other 5% is from the Chillervisor service tables.

So I think we will utilize the CCN driver for the 6400's and chillers....and then use a UPC on the Chillervisor and bring it in BacNet.

How bad is the point mapping/programming in Snap? I already have the software.....I just haven't had a chance to really use it yet. Any info you could send me or maybe a sample program?

Post Likes

Cool

ascj,

If your email address is still good, I will send you some operational, and editable, SNAP integration
    programs. You can add as many points as needed of each type using your SNAP.

It will be early tomorow morning, as the wife has plans for tonight.

Cheers!

DraculaName:  Snap BACnet ANI Points Sample.png
Views: 774
Size:  58.8 KB
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    ascj,

If your email address is still good, I will send you some operational, and editable, SNAP integration
    programs. You can add as many points as needed of each type using your SNAP.

It will be early tomorow morning, as the wife has plans for tonight.

Cheers!

Dracula

I would really appreciate that.

Thanks again.