Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

407c in a 410a unit

I came acrossed a unit that was a factory 410a system that someone had put 407c in, will this really work?

Post Likes
    And how do you know its 407C ?

Post Likes
    It has a 407c sticker over the factory 410a sticker and I talked to the tech that installed the unit. I have never heard of this nor do I have any knowledge of this working, so I wanted to see if anyone else has done this or ran into it?

Post Likes
    Double post... my mistake.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    It might be a dry-charge with 407C... Most of the dry units come with POE oil.

I would think a 410 unit would not work with 407C; after all the coils (size) and compressor (volumetric flow) are designed for a specific refrigerant.

If indeed it is a 410 condenser with 407C in it... that sounds like something I do not want to be responsible for...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!

Post Likes
    Not a dry charge he said he reclaimed the 410a and ran a vac on it, then installed 407c into the unit. I asked a lot of questions because I have never heard of such. The unit is a complete brand new unit 80% up flow,60,000 btu, 13 seer, 2.5 ton all matching goodman equipment.

Post Likes
    3/4 3/8 line set as well

Post Likes
    Hack alert... LOL

Hmmm... I know dry units cost more than 410 units... I wonder if that was the reason. Seems like extra work to me. If 'cheap' was the goal, MO99 is less $$$ than 407C.

I wonder if it is running at full capacity... might do a few tests to see how well it performs.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Lol no idea why someone would do this but though it was wired myself. I think one thing he said was due to 410a having such high pressures he wanted to converted it over to 407c to low the pressure to make it more tech friendly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mattshvac View Post
    Lol no idea why someone would do this but though it was wired myself. I think one thing he said was due to 410a having such high pressures he wanted to converted it over to 407c to low the pressure to make it more tech friendly.
    Makes no sense to me, don't see how it could possibly perform at all considering the compressor was designed for 410a and to operate at those pressures accordingly. 407c pres/temp relationship are way different. Does the unit work at all?? Never heard of anything of the sort like that before but its got me curious as to what it will actually do in that situation.

Post Likes
    410 is dirt cheap these days. Makes you wonder why they did it.

12. Likes HellGato liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I wonder if he put the proper TXV or piston in it... but again I find the piston in the AC unit of half the units I service... what else is new.

If I was gonna service that one... I would talk the HO into a thorough going over... and then verify everything is right. Might get some serious service work from it... however methinks it will be a franken-system its whole life.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    It cools so so. The pressures are way off and the suction line is cool not cold, also it is a piston no txv.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast