Thread: Carrier Infinity Compatibility

Post Likes

Carrier Infinity Compatibility

I received two quotes with some contradictory information and when I called Carrier, they were not able to assist:

I am looking to install an efficient system (Furnace and A/C) in a 1,700 sq. ft house that has current ductwork in the NorthEast (New York) area. I'm not certain of the current size of the system, but believe it's 2.5 tons.

One Installer suggested an Infinity Greenspeed hybrid system. Infinity 96 Furnace (59tn6a100v24) with a Greenspeed 25vna048 heat pump. 3.0 ton. He swears by the Heat Pump and thinks it's a great way to save money over time.

Second Installer said that I will require 3.5 tons because of the size of the family room with high ceilings (the family room was an addition in the past and system wasn't upgraded). Nevermind the size difference, but my concern is that he said that the Infinity system will require all new ductwork for 4.5 tons. Otherwise, it will create static pressure and won't work as my ductwork can't handle the infinity system (he said static pressure needs to be between 1 and 2). He suggested that if I don't want to replace the ductwork, the Carrier Performance system will work just fine as it's not as powerful and the only difference is modulating vs. 2 speed (or specifically, he suggested the Bryant 9500 series as he said it's the same as Carrier but cheaper). He also suggested that the greenspeed is not more efficient for the Northeast, especially since i have Natural Gas as the Furnace will most likely need to turn on to keep up with the heat requirement, regardless

I am totally confused. Is the second installer accurate in stating that the Infinity system won't work with my current set up? In addition, any views on the Greenspeed (or Heat Pump) system in the New York area?

Thanks

Post Likes
    The Infinity will work with what you have as long as it has enough ductwork to handle whatever size system you need. Which I have no way of knowing. Somebody needs to do a manual J to determine that. The best analogy I can come up with is attaching a firehose to a fire hydrant and you get a certain amount of water out of it, the hose is made to accomodate whatever it produces. Now hook a garden hose up to the same fire hydrant. It's gonna make that water or try to, the same as an hvac system is going to produce whatever amount of air it is supposed to or try too. But not very well if the hose isn't big enough. Greenspeed is a good system if installed properly. It is very pricey, probably one of the most expensive condensers there is on the market right now.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    First thing is Manual J load calcs for heat and cooling sizes. You show model for a 4 ton Greenspeed, list 3 ton, and say you need 2.5 ton. Most important after calculating proper size is to ma,e certain all ductwork is sized properly, especially with the Greenspeed. Greenspeed max on heating needs more airflow than for cooling.

There is a very good balance point application Carrier has to be used for the Greenspeed product. If your dealer is authorized to sell Greenspeed he has access to it.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Thanks to your feedback. Unfortunately, none of the installers performed any J calcs. I even called another Carrier authorized dealer, but he was in/out in 15 min so am not expecting to receive any calcs with his proposal.
    I assume its not something I can perform myself. Given that my current system is 2.5 tons, I assume that the current ductwork is not sized appropriately for either the 3.5 or 4 ton system. And given all I have been reading about the greenspeed system, I'm thinking that i will have static pressure issues.
    So difficult to find a proper installer willing to do the due diligence necessary up front these days!
    Thanks all

Post Likes
    Does the 2.5 heat and cool your house sufficiently? If not, then you might need a larger unit. If it does, then it is either sized properly or maybe oversized. Post numbers of the model number of your outside air conditioner? Knowing exactly what you have will help a lot.

Post Likes
    You can do your own load calc. Since comfort and efficiency of your new system rides on it, might want to. www.hvaccomputer.com and you can register the homeowner use of the software for $49.

Post Likes
    I recently moved here so haven't experienced the a/c but as I mentioned, the den is not getting sufficient heat. I have no model for the furnace as none exists, but the a/c is a trane RAUB-302-D, type 169-0462-5B, SN 3D-27530.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Yep, it's a 2.5 ton. It sounds to me if the problem with the den might be a ducting or lack thereof issue.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in