Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Electronic Air Cleaners?? Pro or Con??

I have a dust porblem addressed in another thread.

It would seem that an inline Electronic Air Cleaner would be a good idea, but most professionals do not seem to like them.

My HVAC supplier has suggested an "Air Bear." Certainly a lot cheaper! But I am still curious about the Electronic Air Cleaners. If they don't do a great job with dust, what are they good for?

Is an Electronic Air Cleaner better as an inline (between the return plenum and the air handler) unit, or one that i free standing in the room.

The dust is getting to me.

Post Likes
    Bill,

email me from an address that can recieve attachments, I have something you might want to look at before making a decision.

Last edited by jrbenny; 02-16-2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: removed email

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NHMoldInspector View Post
    Bill,

email me from an address that can recieve attachments, I have something you might want to look at before making a decision.

Sending email, thanks.

Any other replies? Still looking for more info.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 02-16-2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: removed email

Post Likes
    NHMoldinspector
    You need to quit spamming this site. This is not a forum for you to develop leads for your "business."

Post Likes
    No air cleaner on your HVAC system will solve your dust problem, electronic or otherwise.
    The vast majority of the visible dust that enters your living space will settle out of the air long before it gets pulled into the systems air cleaner.

Air filters, no matter how efficient, can't catch things that don't make it to them to be caught.

As I said in your other thread, you need to concentrate on taking steps to keep the stuff from entering your living space before you spend a dime on band-aid products to remove the junk from the air once its in the living space.

Post Likes
    Breatheeasy, don't be an angry filter peddler. I wanted to show him what the university of Cincinatti just released in direct regards to his problem...you talk about MERV this and MERV that so I figured I would be more courteous and leave names out, so I would make his aquaintance privately.

But even you should read this since you are the self imposed site god of knowledge...this is new research

http://www.airresourcesbrief.com/cincinnati.htm

Page 608 is in direct regards to particles...after all aren't you here to help people? I would be skepticle to sell anyone something over the internet anyway...I sell locally and so far have never sold anything further than I can drive. I like the more personal approach and since my business is solving problems, if I help him find a solution at no charge for the advice how am I spamming, I made 2 posts in how long? I would ask that you stop whining it is very unbecoming of a grown man.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    No air cleaner on your HVAC system will solve your dust problem, electronic or otherwise.
    The vast majority of the visible dust that enters your living space will settle out of the air long before it gets pulled into the systems air cleaner.

Air filters, no matter how efficient, can't catch things that don't make it to them to be caught.

As I said in your other thread, you need to concentrate on taking steps to keep the stuff from entering your living space before you spend a dime on band-aid products to remove the junk from the air once its in the living space.

Thank you again, Mark.

This concept mystifies me.

I see dust collecting in the louvers of my returns. We clean and vaccuum the louvers about every 60 days. So some of it is circulating and some is being caught by my filter. But I do realize that the dust can only be caught when the system is on and that some of the dust just can not circulate.

This makes sense to me. But what to do to stop it??

Are you saying that the dust is somehow entering the living space when we open a door into the warehouse?

The doors are pretty well sealed. Even though we have our "house" inside the warehouse itself, the doors leading into the warehouse are exterior doors with weather seals.

The HVAC system was designed by a guy who really seems to know what he is doing. I suspect the returns and supplies are correct. I could enlarge the filter area as someone suggested to have more filter area.

On increasing the inside pressure, it would seem that I may need to bring in air from outside the house AND outside the warehouse.

This could be done with an additional return to the outside, or a duct that would access the outside and bring it into the dwelling space, perhaps with a fan to draw in the air. I could install a filter in this duct to filter the outside air.

However this would seem it would lower the efficiency of the system. Right now the outside air is at about 20 degrees F. During the summer I would have a reverse problem cooling the outside air being brought in.

Perhaps I do not need a great volumn of air, just enough to increase the pressure inside and keep the dust from being sucked in by the present negative pressure?

I would also suspect that dust could be entering around the openings where we have recessed (can) lighting. this would be very hard to seal. We have about 60 cans. These are surrounded by blown insulation.

There is an answer soemwhere and, Mark, I really appapreciate you and the others for hanging in there while that answer seeps into my mind -- but now the dust is seeping faster <grin>!

thanks,
    Bill

Post Likes
    60 can lights???? OWCH!
    Unless they are specifically rated as air tight, which very very few are, not just for insulation contact, those are a HUGE source of air leakage that will also bring in insulation particles.

As long as they are rated for insulation contact, they can be retrofitted with an air tight reflector kit from inside, without changing out the entire fixture.

Like I said in the other thread, you need to get a contractor in there that has the tools and training to do a blower door infiltration test to determin how much leakage you have and where.

Do a Google search on "air infiltration" and check out some of the links, especially any that are on the DoE, EPA and Energy Star web sites. Some good info and a link to find a contractor that can do the testing you need at www.comfortinstitute.org also.

Post Likes
    I have 2 observations on this subject:
    1. I couldn't tell you how many evaporator coils and secondary heat exchangers I have found totally blocked with a carpet of dirt on systems equiped with an electronic air cleaner. I have had 2 breakdowns so far this winter because of this condition. Conversely, the blower compartments of my furnaces that are equiped with the various styles of media type filters (spaceguard, 5" thick cartridge media filters, etc.) are found to be amazingly dirt free year after year. After years of seeing this pattern, I have gone from recommending electronic units to now recommending media filters.
    2. For 10 years, I had 2 good sized shedding machine dogs running through my own home along with 4 good sized kids. In the summer, my a/c filters were totally clogged within 4-6 weeks of use. (of course, being the conscientious service technician that I am, I changed them every time I noticed it was still 80 degrees in here at bedtime). This past summer, the dogs and most of the kids were living in their own homes, and much to my suprise, my filters were hardly dirty at the end of the summer! Never had to change them one time! I must conclude that the traffic and activity level in your home really contributes to the dirt and dust situation.
    professional member

Post Likes
    I think that I need to do several things:

1. Seal up everything including my can lights. Thanks for the "how-to." Mine are the kind the blown insulatrion comes in contact with.

2. Figure out how to increase the inside pressure. I still don't have a good idea about how to do this, (any ideas would be appreciated) but if I have to bring in air from outside the warehouse through some kind of additional duct / fan, I will do this.

3. Replace my 1" filter with an "Air bear" 5" (is this a good size??).

4. (Optional) shave my two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels

5. (No longer considered) Install an Electronic Air Cleaner.

6. Avoid multi-level marketing.

Post Likes
    Bill
    Bingo!
    (You might use a Honeywell or an Aprilaire instead of the Air Bear. All will work about the same but the Honeywell and the Aprilaire should be a bit easier to find at a good price.)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by breathe easy View Post
    Bill
    Bingo!
    (You might use a Honeywell or an Aprilaire instead of the Air Bear. All will work about the same but the Honeywell and the Aprilaire should be a bit easier to find at a good price.)

I will check them out. My supplier here in Atlanta carries the "Air Bear." Substantial filter rack and two filters for $74. Then filters are $16 each. He is an HVAC to-the-trade seller.

Post Likes
    The Air Bear sounds like a good deal to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast