+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Shop Vac

Post Likes

Cordless Shop Vac

I love cordless tools and one that I have been contemplating is a cordless shop vac for cleaning out condensate lines and the occasional aux drain pan. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these as I have been seeing mixed reviews, but I would like to know how well they suit our particular field. The one I am looking at particularly is the Milwaukee 18v since I already have many of their tools and batteries. I always hate hunting for a receptacle and dragging around cords. Any feedback appreciated.

Post Likes
    I have two of the de Walt cordless vacs and they work great. I do wish they would charge the battery when they are plugged in but besides that they work great. I really like that the filter is washable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    I have the milwaukee 18v vac and it's awesome for small jobs and clearing condensate lines in hard to get to spots and attics. Does chew through batteries pretty quick but I expected that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDanB View Post
    I have the milwaukee 18v vac and it's awesome for small jobs and clearing condensate lines in hard to get to spots and attics. Does chew through batteries pretty quick but I expected that.
    I have heard 10-15 minute run time which doesn't bother me since that is more than adequate for most of the time, my main concern was powerful enough. Of course van space is a premium and if I get this i'd like to stop carrying the corded one, do you think that's viable? I have 4 batteries that would work in it, and I have an inverter in the van so all my batteries stay charged.

Post Likes
    Dewalt is much better than the Milwaukee because it is duel powered but neither will replace a bigger corded vacuum.

Post Likes
    The only problem I have with the Dewalt is I dont have the required batteries so the investment would be MUCH more.

Post Likes
    I have the makita blower/sucker 18v lithium battery does the trick for me. If its nasty I use my corded stinger

Post Likes
    I think I will go ahead and pull the trigger on the milwaukee and see if I can find a nook that isnt currently being used to cram the corded vac into. Thanks for all the replies.

Post Likes
    Yea, I would still carry the corded one if at all possible. The milwaukee is great for what it is, but I still find myself going for a corded vac as often as the cordless.

Post Likes
    I have the milwaukee vac because i have all of their other cordless 18V tools and batts. I hate having to carry multiple types of brand batteries. The vac does eat batteries but its does a great job besides this one issue. I have milwaukee 18V cordless for larger tools and, 12v small brushless impact and Hammer drill/driver. For 12v those little cordless tools got some serious balls especially the hammer drill/driver. I don't know how i worked all those years with out that small impact driver for removing equipment panels. My nut driver last a lot longer now! Sorry for going off topic.

Post Likes
    I ended up getting the Milwaukee a couple of weeks ago and haven't touched the corded one since. Its been one of the biggest time savers since we dont have that code around here that requires receptacles near the CU.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Post Likes
    I vote for the Milwaukee. I have the 28V going on 3 years. Got rid of the corded one. I have lots of the v28 tools and many batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    I ended up getting the Milwaukee a couple of weeks ago and haven't touched the corded one since. Its been one of the biggest time savers since we dont have that code around here that requires receptacles near the CU.

Post Likes
    I have the 18v milwaukee wet dry vac. Love it, plenty of power and the run time really is plenty adequate for what I'm using it for.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    I love cordless tools and one that I have been contemplating is a cordless shop vac for cleaning out condensate lines and the occasional aux drain pan. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these as I have been seeing mixed reviews, but I would like to know how well they suit our particular field. The one I am looking at particularly is the Milwaukee 18v since I already have many of their tools and batteries. I always hate hunting for a receptacle and dragging around cords. Any feedback appreciated.
    Hi there, I know your question was about shop vacs but one awesome tool I discovered that you can put in your tool bag and works great is the Gallo Gun CO2, Just google it, it will blow pretty much any drain line free and you dont need a bulky tool, has anyone used this.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RACMT View Post
    Hi there, I know your question was about shop vacs but one awesome tool I discovered that you can put in your tool bag and works great is the Gallo Gun CO2, Just google it, it will blow pretty much any drain line free and you dont need a bulky tool, has anyone used this.
    Sounds like a good idea if I could trust that all the fittings were properly glued together, which I find many times some are not glued at all. I would be worried about blowing something apart in a wall or somewhere I couldn't get to to put back together. Seems kind of risky to me.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Post Likes
    Well, all I can say is I have one and Ive used it over 50 times without any mishaps. You buy a box of cartridges, throw it in your tool bag and for applications where you know the integrity of the piping is good or you have access to the whole length of drain line the gun works great, its one of those things you can take into tight places and get the job done fast. The trigger is levered with a piercing valve so you can press down all the way for one full blow full pressure or you can press it half way and stop and you can ease off on the pressure, its one of those things where its good to have in most application but no all, just like a shop vac.

Post Likes
    Its not very expensive so I will probably give it a try. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Just some safety precautions not implying that you dont already know this but I feel obligated to tell you.

Do not put the nozzle on any part of your body
    when using it to clear out lines, where safety glasses and be aware of the crud that may come out
    and like you said about non glued lines be carful
    all in all its a great tool for the bag.

Post Likes
    You forgot one important safety advice. Verify that drain terminates outside and not to lavatory. This can be a very nasty surprise. Learned that many years ago and have not forgotten. Lucky for me the HO was remodeling the bathroom

Post Likes
    lol, there should be a thread just for personal mistakes over the years I'm sure we all would have some laughs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in