Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

hvac horror stories

post your crazy unbelieveable work stories here..

years ago a started with a new company and on the first day they had me ride along with a guy who i swore was Andrew Dice Clay. second call of the day is a no heat for an old lady, whole house reeked like dog, lady tells us the furnace is downstairs and to the left. i go first and larry Follows me.. we get to the lower level and i turn around and larry is gone..back track and there larry is Peeing in the ladys washing machine. said he couldnt wait and the lady would never notice an extra smell anyway. Working with same guy about a month later on a custom home in the boonies and we have to run a 50' 1 1/8" lineset. about 20 minutes into the task Larry says he has to go..there isnt a head on site and he cant use a tree for what he has to do..he grabs a McDonalds bag and heads for the unfinished bathroom on main floor and hangs his butt over the edge of the tub and proceeds to try and hit the bag..i'm laughing and keeping my distance when i hear a noise and look down the hall and see the homeowners high class wife and some other lady come in. i started laughing so hard i almost fell over and they walk down the hall looking at me like i was some kinda retard. they walk right into view of larry doing the deed. I heard "OH MY GAWD" and larry yelling a few expletives.. the ladys left really quickly and i laughed so hard i made myself sick..Larry didnt have a job much longer..
    you will attract more flies with honey than with vinegar, but you can attract the most with a dead cat

Post Likes
    Larry is the reason the rest of us are so busy.

Post Likes
    Larry is a dummy - he should have gone into the woods to do his biz
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    I can remember a few things that have happened to co-workers in my time.

Finished charging up a 30 ton American Standard rtu and asked my co-worker to remove the guages so we could get cleaned up and off the roof. I'm around the other side of the unit (25' long) and I hear the POP! shishhhhhhh! and my partner swearing, I come around the other side and see him with his hand over the discharge valve on the compressor and a refrigerant cloud around him. I pulled him away from the compressor, needless to say, he had some pretty bad frostbite. Just one of the many dumb and stupid things he did while I was there.

Same guy ran my Porter Cable sawzall through a 300amp service cable to a store. The sawzall still lives today. My Co-worker only had to go and get a change of clothes. Very lucky that day.

Another co-worker was working at a school on an EMI 4 circuit ductless split condenser and stepped backwards off the roof and landed on what I think is the worlds largest gas meter 8' below. The meter was about 4' tall and 3' wide, the gas from the street was and old system and had an incoming pressure of like 5" wc, very large piping coming from the street. He came out of it OK, only a cracked rib and some bruising.

And now for something completely different...
    Yet another co-worker had a problem with the lunch that his mom made him every day (We were pretty much just out of school). It seems that "mom" had made the same ham and cheese sandwhich for him since like the third grade. He found some pretty ingenious ways to be rid of those sammiches. One day you might see one left in the eave of a condo unit and the next day he'd put it on top of the engine, or on top of the sun visor on a rainy day, I once found one under the gas tank cover on the truck I had at the time. He's also leave boxes of poo in different places, everyday was an adventure with this guy. A good guy to work with, plenty of days we'd run 100+ ft. of 24x24 or larger duct, that's snapped together, wrapped, hangers made and hung, and the duct up and insulation finished. He just had a strange sense of humor, I guess his nick name was part of it, ButtRott.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    I've been on the receiving end of a few weird ones..go to a residential call one summer day for no A/C and ring the doorbell, 80 year old man answers the door buck nekkid and says" bout damm time you got here, I ran out of stuff to take off"

another call at an old ladies house i'm in the hall changing the stat and she's telling me how she was basically a slut in her younger years and she tested each husband out before she married them to make sure she wasnt getting a dud. then she tells me i have a nice ass and wants to know if i'm married

was working at a house with an electric furnace in the garage and i hear the husband and wife (who was very hot) arguing through the return air duct, he is yelling that he aint leaving while i'm there cause he knows she is going to screw me..this goes on for a few and then he comes out to the garage and loads up a bunch of tools and leaves, she comes out after he leaves and apologizes then invites me over to have a beer later
    you will attract more flies with honey than with vinegar, but you can attract the most with a dead cat

Post Likes
    These are funny. I've got to get ready for work (5:40a.am.) but here's a couple of quick ones. I had a call where the woman's boyfriend showed up on his lunch break while I was working on the air handler. They decided to get it on & I found out she was a "screamer". That was around 10 years ago and every time I go there that's the first thing I think of. Yeah, she is hot & still unmarried.

2nd one. We had this guy who just got out of the Army 82 airborne and I think his chute didn't open once so he landed on his head. He did many weird/stupid things but the last straw was when he jumped out of the ceiling rafters down in front of two old ladies and started acting like the Incredible Hulk (new construction job). It totally freaked them out & he was looking for a new job the next day.
    Last edited by nratom45-70; 01-11-2007 at 08:14 AM.
    The Bill of Rights ARTICLE II "The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed".
    [SIZE="4"]

Post Likes
    I was on a boiler job many years ago at an apartment building. The job required that the super accompany me to all the apartments to check the staem vents and radiator valves. We went into one unit where the girl who lived there was not home at the time. In the bedroom there was a HUGE strap-on phallus....It was HUGE!

That unit needed a new staem vent and we had to come back later to install it. The tenant was home when we returned. Not a word was said about the toy. The bedroom was all cleaned up. She had a flat top haircut and was over-the-top trying to act like a construction worker. Offering us a beer and talking about the work we were doing. It was difficult to keep astraight face. I guess we know who wore the toys.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    I was on a boiler job many years ago at an apartment building. The job required that the super accompany me to all the apartments to check the staem vents and radiator valves. We went into one unit where the girl who lived there was not home at the time. In the bedroom there was a HUGE strap-on phallus....It was HUGE!

That unit needed a new staem vent and we had to come back later to install it. The tenant was home when we returned. Not a word was said about the toy. The bedroom was all cleaned up. She had a flat top haircut and was over-the-top trying to act like a construction worker. Offering us a beer and talking about the work we were doing. It was difficult to keep astraight face. I guess we know who wore the toys.
    Did you see Ellen DeGenerous anywhere?
    The Bill of Rights ARTICLE II "The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed".
    [SIZE="4"]

Post Likes
    i went to a house with a senior tech , a little yappy poodle runs up, the home owner is two feet away asking questions , and the tech grabs his laser thermometer and starts shining it in the dog's eyes.
    the dog kept shaking it's little head , and the home owner looked like he was going to start crying.

before i worked at the company , one of the techs was at a call , the home owner lady used his ladder to get onto the roof , he told her not to use his ladder.

after he was done with the AC he packed up his ladder and left,
    ...he left the lady on the roof...on purpose.

...he works for the city now.

Post Likes
    I went over to a job to help out and was standing there as he worked in a closet. Something fell off shelf and into hole in floor for duct. He reachjed down and pulled out one of those little vibrating torpedos.
    He yells to lady of house he found her toy. (he knew her daughter from high school). Then he says they in every closet.

I kinda laughed it off and suggested he set it on the desk shelf by some stuffed animals (with the rest of toys) and he replies "purr, kitty purr"

I just about passed out laughing, struck me so funny

Not job related but, after visit to my sisters house we reversed the frig door. I left "huh?" on the dryerase board and left.
    Last edited by billygoat22; 01-11-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: brainfart
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Buddy of mine is running a truck mounted vaccume truck and is at a ladies house cleaning the ducts - little dog is barking constantly and biting at him.
    Anyway he's down in the basement and pulls oof the big hose to start packing up so the lady comes down to leture about dust and dirt on her carpets and the dog comes down and starts barking again but the women doesn't notice - shes too busy yapping herself anyway small dog gets too close to the hose and wump bllglglgllglgllglgllggll l dog dissapears - my buddy's eyes grow big cause he knew what happened a minute later the lady says where's my dog and looks around, oh well he must have gone back up stairs. She goes up to look for her dog and my buddy quickly packs up and leaves after getting a cheque. He stops and calls his boss after he leaves.
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Buddy of mine is running a truck mounted vaccume truck and is at a ladies house cleaning the ducts - little dog is barking constantly and biting at him.
    Anyway he's down in the basement and pulls oof the big hose to start packing up so the lady comes down to leture about dust and dirt on her carpets and the dog comes down and starts barking again but the women doesn't notice - shes too busy yapping herself anyway small dog gets too close to the hose and wump bllglglgllglgllglgllggll l dog dissapears - my buddy's eyes grow big cause he knew what happened a minute later the lady says where's my dog and looks around, oh well he must have gone back up stairs. She goes up to look for her dog and my buddy quickly packs up and leaves after getting a cheque. He stops and calls his boss after he leaves.
    Are you freaking serious! Did the dog die? I ran a duct cleaning truck like 12 years ago and scared a cat with the air line, it tore cutains down and broke 2 lamps! That was fun explaining...
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Post Likes
    Oh yeah the yapper got chewed up into tiny little pieces - the boss sent around some flowers and also brought another dog for the lady.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast