+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum cannon trial and error...Success!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    Mark, I would expect a video upon your success?
    There will either be a video, or a real winner of a red neck obituary.

Post Likes
    Mayguy-Tom didn't let you guys play around a bit? Imagine that?!?
    LOL Well, we didn't have time for that!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    LOL Well, we didn't have time for that!
    We don't really have time either. This was done mainly on breaks and outside of class time. The difference being, Tom probably wouldn't let people hang out after class was done? I don't really know him, only his reputation.
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    What if you used a larger pipe on the vacuum end, reduced it on the other end to hold the ping pong ball, so you would have more air rushing in?

Post Likes
    Not sure what that would do. The air is still only coming in at 14.7 psi. The ball only reaches those speeds due the the lack of air resistance in the evacuated tube. I don't think a larger chamber on the back end would make a difference. Would be interesting to try out. If we have time, I'll give it a shot and update.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    We don't really have time either. This was done mainly on breaks and outside of class time. The difference being, Tom probably wouldn't let people hang out after class was done? I don't really know him, only his reputation.
    He did let us stay after class to work on lab or if we needed one on one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    What if you used a larger pipe on the vacuum end, reduced it on the other end to hold the ping pong ball, so you would have more air rushing in?
    To much air would get past the ping pong ball, so it wouldn't move fast enough.
    The pipe needs to be enough bigger than the ball that a little air will get past it, but not so much bigger that to much of the air goes around it.

Visualize it as blowing a ping pong ball down a pipe with 14.7 psi of air pressure.
    The ping pong ball will go much faster down a pipe that has an inner diameter just slightly larger than the ball than it will down a larger pipe.

Post Likes
    The thought was if you have a larger volume of air coming in the other end, when it gets to the other end which is smaller and has the ball in it, you'll have a larger volume of air trying to go down that smaller tube which should increase the pressure putting more force behind the ball.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    The thought was if you have a larger volume of air coming in the other end, when it gets to the other end which is smaller and has the ball in it, you'll have a larger volume of air trying to go down that smaller tube which should increase the pressure putting more force behind the ball.
    Remember that the end the ball is supposed to shoot out of is still closed with tape, if to much air has gotten past the ball before it gets to the end, and the ball is not moving fast enough as it approaches the closed end of the pipe , the the small burst of high pressure re-compressed air needed to break the tape won't happen.
    The tape isn't broken by the ball physically contacting it.

If you want to REALLY make the ball go fast, have something more than atmospheric pressure driving air in through the end the end where the tape gets cut.
    Imagine shooting a ping pong ball at a high enough velocity that it punches straight through a ping pong paddle.

Post Likes
    Watch this video. Amazing what a ping pong ball can do at super sonic speeds! Someone posted this in one of these forums. I thought it was cool, so I tried it. Sub-sonic in my case. I'm waiting for Marks sound barrier breaker!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYNCGZCul1Q

Post Likes
    Your limited to 14psi... but on the positive side, the pressure remains almost constant, where as with a typical cannon using a explosive propellant, the pressure peaks, then drops off as the gasses expand inside the barrel.

Post Likes

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I'm going to try my hand at building a super sonic one.
    Haven't seen your obituary yet. Must mean you haven't built it yet?

Post Likes
    Haven't seen your obituary yet. Must mean you haven't built it yet?
    Been busy with work and my yard. Had a record February and March, and the yard is a total redo down to bare earth and back.

The super sonic vacuum cannon is still on the agenda though.
    Hmm, I am taking a few vacation days this week to relax, and it should rain a bit, so won't be able to work on the yard anyway...

Post Likes
    Saw your yard work in another thread. Figured that was keeping you busy. Still got at least a foot of snow in my yard. Wish I could start some yard work.

Post Likes
    Well, I built my cannon today, still a bit of refinement needed though.

The basic vacuum only setup.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Ping Pong ball vs. Ping Pong paddle.

I don't think I'm quite up to super sonic speed, but it is pretty close.
    I need to work on a nozzle for the air inlet to get the velocity up more, and make a more secure target platform than the wet cardboard box that happened to be on my back patio.

Post Likes
    Bravissimo Mark!!! Since you're not cutting the tape, I suppose it is a bit of a surprise when it fires? What pressure did you end up applying with the nitro in the second pressurized shot? Nice work, and glad to see it didn't lead to an obituary!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in