+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small wind generators < than 1000 watts

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RexCauld View Post
    Haha, you should write stories

Thanks for the sheet metal tip. And for sharing your experience!
    no problem, have fun, good luck
    Why am I the only naked person at this gender reveal party

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I think the Tankless 202 was originally designed for farmers that want to pressure wash their equipment with hot water. its designed to installed outside the building/cabin/home.

I put a large sheet of sheet metal behind mine to keep the mice out.
    I noticed you are using PEX plumbing. Is this exposed to sunlight and if it is do you have any problem with it failing due to the exposure?

Post Likes
    I see lots of sail boats here on the inland waterway that have small wind generators mounted on them, might look into a West Marine or other supplier for more insight.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by safebustr View Post
    I noticed you are using PEX plumbing. Is this exposed to sunlight and if it is do you have any problem with it failing due to the exposure?
    sorry for not responding sooner its been a little crazy around here. The Pex has only been up since last year. it hasn't been up long enough to really 'test it'. even if it does deteriorate some, we can always wrap it with insulation, which I might do anyway?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by safebustr View Post
    I see lots of sail boats here on the inland waterway that have small wind generators mounted on them, might look into a West Marine or other supplier for more insight.
    I think at this point, I would stick with solar panels. those little wind generators tend to make a lot of noise and do require some maintenance. PV panels just sit there and do there thing, no maintenance and wait for rain to wash them

Post Likes
    Anyone have experience with the dual purpose solar collectors? Parabolic, hot water & electric?

Post Likes
    Vendor claims:

"Solar PV-T solar panels combine a patent-pending heat collector with generic PV cells to create an integrated solar panel that increases electricity output with additional thermal energy.
    Compared to PV alone, Tyll Solar PV-T systems offer more:

A BETTER SYSTEM – About 80% of the sun’s energy is utilized, compared to only 15-22% efficiency with PV panels alone where the balance of solar radiant heat is lost. Tyll Solar PV-T panels capture much of that wasted heat, converting it into usable energy by generating hot water.

4X MORE ENERGY – Tyll Solar PV-T panels produce 400% MORE energy – both electricity and hot water – using an identical surface area."

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I had a 50 watt and later a 100 watt unit on a sailboat. 2 Group 29 batteries were maintained by the 50 and 3 by the 100. I still have the tired old 50 but the blades are no longer available, I only have three or four, and I have never been arsed to make them myself.

Wind generators are pretty common on cruising sailboats - and are made to withstand a salt air environment - so I would be looking there first.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    anyone have any experience with wind generators for weekend/vacation cabins

I have an off grid cabin that I power with solar panels, but I want to install a wind generator that's less than 1000 watts.

anyone know which small generators are good, which ones are not-so-good
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in