+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glass leaking by-products. CO

Post Likes

Glass leaking by-products. CO

I don't work on gas logs too much. Replaced a furnace for a customer that has a 15 yr old Superior gas log, direct vent. Its leaking CO and vent gases around glass front on top. Has a flat rope type gasket. Is there a high temp slicone or other liquid sealant that can be used in conjunction w/ gasket?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by contactor View Post
    I don't work on gas logs too much. Replaced a furnace for a customer that has a 15 yr old Superior gas log, direct vent. Its leaking CO and vent gases around glass front on top. Has a flat rope type gasket. Is there a high temp slicone or other liquid sealant that can be used in conjunction w/ gasket?
    No.

I've never seen a fireplace glass panel with a fiber gasket that failed to seal in the combustion gasses propetly, so I'd say the situation your describe is unusual. Is the gasket loose or damaged in some way?

As a general rule, I'd replace the glass assembly by ordering a replacement from the manufacturer. This is a key safety device for the fireplace, and it needs to be right.

Seattle Pioneer

Post Likes

Cool glass leakage?

I've investigated plenty of leaking glass. Some gaskets leak because of a loose clip, screws missing from a track device, etc. Yet there are those that leak even with good pressure. The rope should not bunch up in the corners, where it can form a high spot thereby prohibiting sealing. The best system is to cut and tape the corners so they lay flat. Systems that rely on a cam action at the top or bottom and a clamp of sorts at the opposite are prone to leakage from uneven pressure. You want even circumferential pressure.

With the unit cold, use your chemical smoke puffer around the perimeter of the glass. Shine a light at the inner edges then blow the smoke away. Any smoke still there is now inside the firebox thus marking a leak point. Now, open the glass and correlate that point with the frame. Is there a white-ish gray discoloration of the powder coating or paint that does not wipe off like dust? Is the smooth powder coating rough at this point? If so, heat has been leaking out and if heat leaks out so can bad stuff. Fire the unit up. Hold a pump type analyzer within no more than 2-3 inches from the gasket. Any closer and you can actually suck CO through the rope fibers. If youi are lucky enough to have an IAQ monitor, test for CO2 leakage, which is more accurate the CO presence since you always have plenty of CO2 in combustion. If you really wanted to go for the gusto, you could also use a particle counter to see if BPM is escaping.

Contactor, Superior is now Lennox. If you or the homeowner contacts them with model, serial# and preferrable mfg. date code, I'm sure they would cough up some free glass. If they give you any crap, then ask them to send out a factory rep. for a CO exposure. That ought to "explain" things to them, heh, heh.

To answer your question directly, no, you cannot goop up the glass. Get a new one with the rope installed at the factory.

HTH!

Post Likes
    Thanx for replies. The clips were tight and the gasket appeared to be on correct. I haven't yet pulled the glass.
    I'll call Lennox and see about a new glass @ gasket. I was also planning on checking the housing surface for warpage w/ a straightedge before ordering one.

Post Likes
    Why can't you use fiberglass rope with a red hi temp sealant?

Post Likes
    I flagged your other post with poor advice. You really shouldn't be giving advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

For one, the glass on these fireplaces is tested and listed with this unit. You modify it, you void the warranty and listing. In testing, they fill the fireplace with gas to the ideal concentration with air then ignite it. The explosion can be heard blocks away. I know. I used to work in R&D. The glass and gasket has to hold up. On a DIY gasket installation, you run a very real chance on not getting a seal. This means you can leak byproducts of combustion into the home. I've worked cases where a pin hole gasket leak did $20K in damage not to mention people getting sick from CO and aldehydes. If there is a loss and your insurance found out you were grossly negligent (DIY) they may be able to refuse a claim.

As for the silicone, when it cooks off, silicone particles adhere to everything. They leave a whitish film on the glass, logs, burner and ignition controls. That's why most of the industry has moved away from using silicone in the combustion chamber.

7. Likes kangaroogod liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air4me View Post
    Why can't you use fiberglass rope with a red hi temp sealant?
    This thread is 13 years old to the day.....Really?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in