+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Premium Efficient Motors

Post Likes

Premium Efficient Motors

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA) took effect December 19, 2010. It helped define the premium-effiicient motor category in the 1 hp to 200 hp range of general purpose motors.

A further initiative of the U.S. Dept. of Energy (DOE) seeks to draw smaller electric motors into the energy-efficiency picture. The so-called DOE Final Rule, “Energy Conservation Program: Energy Conservation Standards for Small Electric Motors,” published in March 2010 in the Federal Register (10 CFR Part 431), covers general-purpose, open drip-proof, three-phase electric motors — typically below the 1 hp rating, but extending up to 3 hp for some types. Specifically, this ruling applies energy conservation standards to motors Ό hp to 3 hp with 2-, 4-, and 6-pole designs and frame sizes 42 through 56. Single-phase, capacitor-start motors of the same power range and pole count, as well as applicable IEC motors and corresponding frame sizes, are also included. The effective date of this ruling is March 2015.

What effect will this expanded ruling have on your business?

Post Likes
    I have run into a few replacement motors that due to the new energy ratings are now under powered and over amping.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 22nomo View Post
    I have run into a few replacement motors that due to the new energy ratings are now under powered and over amping.
    That's pretty interesting. Can you give me some details on what type of application these were for?
    Mike Eby
    Editor-in-Chief, EC&M Magazine
    http://www.ecmweb.com

Post Likes
    These were smaller pumps for tower loop/condenser, maybe 5-7 hp I dont have the exact info with me. But the motor shop we use (reputable) said these are direct factory replacements (motor manufacturer) for the motor we had. We installed them and they were overamping, called the motor shop back and they said the new Hi-Effic. motors were scaled down to decrease energy use. The pumps we had seemed to be maxed out for the water flow required so dropping the HP of the motor, which is what they are telling me is being done, pushed it into a overloaded condition. They are not running on VFDs so not sure if that would have made a difference.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 22nomo View Post
    These were smaller pumps for tower loop/condenser, maybe 5-7 hp I dont have the exact info with me. But the motor shop we use (reputable) said these are direct factory replacements (motor manufacturer) for the motor we had. We installed them and they were overamping, called the motor shop back and they said the new Hi-Effic. motors were scaled down to decrease energy use. The pumps we had seemed to be maxed out for the water flow required so dropping the HP of the motor, which is what they are telling me is being done, pushed it into a overloaded condition. They are not running on VFDs so not sure if that would have made a difference.
    horsepower is horsepower....a lower amp draw is due to efficiency. if the horsepower on the nameplate is a lie, i would think that i would use a different motor manufacturer.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    We went back to using OEM if they tell us its a new hi-effic motor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    horsepower is horsepower....a lower amp draw is due to efficiency. if the horsepower on the nameplate is a lie, i would think that i would use a different motor manufacturer.
    The sad part is the number of fractional HP motors which are overrated according to their nameplate HP markings. Blower motors are notorious for a 1/3 hp not being a actual 1/3 HP (1/8, 1/4, 1/2 HP ect). I found years ago to match the FLA instead of HP when replacing a motor to keep from changing it twice...

8. Likes hvacnut liked this post.
    Post Likes
    replacement of the motor is a real "headache"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bearfromobx View Post
    The sad part is the number of fractional HP motors which are overrated according to their nameplate HP markings. Blower motors are notorious for a 1/3 hp not being a actual 1/3 HP (1/8, 1/4, 1/2 HP ect). I found years ago to match the FLA instead of HP when replacing a motor to keep from changing it twice...
    Why should I punt when I can further aggravate myself?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bearfromobx View Post
    Why should I punt when I can further aggravate myself?
    Totally agree on matching amp draw and not HP.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in