+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Versus Fluorescent In Ceiling Fixtures

Post Likes
    Anyone have thoughts on recessed LED retrofits. I’ve got over 100 tecessed CFL fixtures which are now 15 years old and ballasts are beginning to fail. I’ve seen some plug in LEDs ($15 ea x2 per fixture) , (I prefer ballast bypass) and there are several types of Recessed LED fixtures with a very wide range of costs. ($30-$150) Of course it’s 277 which makes everything harder and more expensive. The one I’m looking st right now is a lithonia fixture that just pops in the hole. It’s just barely recessed and has a translucent cover unlike the open fixtures we have now. Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    Shallow recessed retrofit LED have a glare issue. Have tried a bunch, but I did find one that is dedicated LED trim for a LED "old work" can that works well for me. Deep recess on lamp. Black ribbed trim. Disappears on a huge ceiling, yet does a better job of illuminating the floor evenly. Something the CFL's do not do well. We are in the process of replacing all of the CFL's with these. Ours are 120VAC, but I believe that they are multi-volt.

3. Likes billi1905 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    I've installed hundreds of the direct wire 4' T8 LED's and they are quick to install
    Do you bypass the original Ballast , and direct wire them to 120v ?

Post Likes
    I installed LED lights in a pastry cooler, they added enough heat to warm the cooler 5-10 degrees. The unit thermostat was in the top as well as the lights, now the cooler will not shut off while lights are on! There is no circulating fan in the unit!

Post Likes
    Did the Cooler have lights in it before? It just doesn't sound right that the LED's are overheating the cooler, as they run cooler than any other lights.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Do you bypass the original Ballast , and direct wire them to 120v ?
    We did a couple of those jobs in the winter... dozens of 4 bulb troffers on each job...
    We trashed the ballasts and direct wired... the local supply house had a kit with new 'tombstones' set up for one end power (other end was just to hold the bulb in place). The kit was something in the $5.95 each area if I remember (could have gone up since then).
    Anyhow... get rid of the ballast, direct wire, and use direct wire bulbs... works GREAT!
    And the bulbs we used... are 3500K temperature and have a 50,000 hour warranty.

Easy $$$...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    Did the Cooler have lights in it before? It just doesn't sound right that the LED's are overheating the cooler, as they run cooler than any other lights.
    I Agree Mad.

The LEDs that I've worked with run waaaaay Cooler than the Incandescents & Fluorescents.

I recently installed a low profile Halo "Barn Light" that supplies a Mind Blowing 8000 Lumens, & it has very little heat produced.

I do know that some of these LEDs are "position sensitive", as in being installed "Right Side Up/Forward", which can cause problems, but overall I'm very pleased with these lights.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...series-ins.PDF
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Have you tried e-conolight on the web? I think they are a Cooper Industry Supplier. All my upgraded exterior lighting is from them, I went from the Hubbell 300 and 500 watt Halogen tubes to them at 76 watts each. They throw out more light than the Hubble 500 watt, and the fixtures are every bit as rugged. Only thing I missed was the Hubbell's had a tether, which made them easier to hang.

Post Likes
    No Sir, I haven't tried "e-conolight", but I will see what they have to offer.

On some of these lights, I've had to improvise with Hangin' wire, or a long tie strap, to hold the device, till I finished the wiring.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Yes had two 16 watt florescent bulbs, the ballast were located outside cooler. The ones installed were LED stick type. Everything was included
    In the stick. Two were installed and they are bright. Thinking about putting dimmer control on them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Yes had two 16 watt florescent bulbs, the ballast were located outside cooler. The ones installed were LED stick type. Everything was included
    In the stick. Two were installed and they are bright. Thinking about putting dimmer control on them.
    Can a "Dimmer" be used without causing problems on a LED Old?

Post Likes
    I have some 120v LED bulbs under a cabinet, I have one of the old 3 touch settings used in desk lamps, works great. I am also using one of the stick type, with the same touch lamp dimmer, it also works great. Just connect the sense wire to some metal duct tape, stick where you want.

Post Likes
    So You've had no Issues with using a "3 touch setting" oldfart?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in