+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 600VDC Versus 1000VDC Systems

Post Likes

600VDC Versus 1000VDC Systems

I'm starting to see more PV equipment being offered at the 1000VDC rating. Anyone have any compelling arguments to make as to the advantages/disadvantages of installing a 1000VDC system over a 600VDC system?

Post Likes
    Old question, stumbled upon it.

It would be my opinion that the higher voltage could allow you to fall into an NEC category that will require more safety equipment and a different insurance classification making it negate any advantage one way or the other...

I believe as of right now the UL provisions limit US systems to 600VDC and the NEC 690.7(C) does not have the verbiage for use yet.

We always seem to be 5-7 years behind Europe.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    Welcome to the 2014 nec code, 1000v systems are now allowed by code. This was an issue of PID losses vs conductor losses. Turns out, good thing we didn't have 1000v systems as PID is a real issue today. I wouldn't like to see it with 1000v systems as the standard. I imagine Europe has some pretty awful degradation rates, as floating ground (transformerless) systems are riddled with PID problems.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by meby View Post
    I'm starting to see more PV equipment being offered at the 1000VDC rating. Anyone have any compelling arguments to make as to the advantages/disadvantages of installing a 1000VDC system over a 600VDC system?
    Almost half the I2 R loss with any length of wiring?

hey, successful superscript!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by IRBH View Post
    Almost half the I2 R loss with any length of wiring?

hey, successful superscript!
    Smaller wire size for advantage.
    Arcing with PV systems can cause fires. The higher the voltage the more dielectric breakdown of connectors and cables.
    Also DC is more dangerous to switch. DC breaker are design with special features to extinguish the arc when they open the contacts.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in