Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Sorry I forgot to check the date of the first post, newb.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    ...or indeed on a station running on PC in Workbench (same thing really)

Is there anybody's software that will run MSTP on a computer that isn't embedded?
    There is quite a few. I have to search my archives but I had whole library of free software that was developed by individuals or corporations.
    Now Im thinking about it though that was 10-15 years ago I dont even know if it will Run on modern OSS. But Im sure there are still plenty out there. Thought there used to be a horrible one you could get off the bacnet international site and remember a decent one developed by a university that was pretty powerful but took a little time getting used to.
    There are some free ones in the apple store that are generic. Used bacnet explorer from it before but requires a wireless router since your on an iPad.
    I also got a usb rs485 adapter off amazon for $6 that works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kunalpurohit91 View Post
    How an I Use My Laptop USB to discover BACnet MS/TP devices
    So contemporary controls has a free software
    https://www.ccontrol.com/sd/bdt.htm
    Limited in function But works
    Then get this usb to rs485 adapter for 6.99
    JBtek USB to RS485 Converter Adapter ch340T chip 64-bit Window 7 Supported https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NKAJGZM..._T6iEDbY1FQE21
    Should work. If not give me a shout and Ill hook you up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by unonut View Post
    So contemporary controls has a free software
    https://www.ccontrol.com/sd/bdt.htm
    "The BACnet Discovery Tool is a BACnet/IP application"
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Darn it. I thought it used to be. Made me look thru my old stuff and found an old link to Steve Karg's page from angel file Blah Blah Blah found it at http://bacnet.sourceforge.net/
    Links for sourceforge is given from Steves page and the guy is legit. if yall dont know who he is check him out. Man that was years ago when i was learning and learning and learning.
    Here is the link to Steves website now. It is actually his home website and the guy is a beast so a word of caution I would not go trying to mess with this guy site like some of yall might try. Dont poke a bear. But he does have some cool stuff up there if your into computers, networking and programming

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    "The BACnet Discovery Tool is a BACnet/IP application"
    OK so you sent me on a hunt. Here is another link on Bacnet international
    https://www.bacnetlabs.org/page/pre_testing_tools

Post Likes
    How an I Use My Laptop USB to discover BACnet MS/TP devices?

Post Likes
    I saw a video of a person using YABE software directly connecting to a single BACnet Device using a generic USB to RS485 Adapter. I need to discover BACnet device with its properties. But only one device is connected. Any suggestions ?

Post Likes
    You can use YABE (Yet Another BACnet Explorer) and a USB to RS-485 adapter. YABE is a free BACnet explorer/browser and allows you to discover devices and browse objects and properties on BACnet MS/TP as well as BACnet/IP, BACnet Ethernet, and BACnet PTP. I have used it for both MS/TP and IP. It works well, is easy to use, and has a lot of features.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/yet...acnetexplorer/

10. Likes bolt950rider liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thank you a lot. My laptop has windows 10. and I need also to find out object/ point details. Will it work? I have ordered USB to RS 485 Adapter on Amazon.

Thank you again

Post Likes
    Yes, YABE will work for that. I use it on Windows 10 without issues. I use a USB adapter that has an FTDI chip in it, which is quite common.

To discover and inspect object details in YABE for BACnet MS/TP, do the following:
    - Open YABE
    - (Optional, but recommended) Click on the Options menu and select Settings. Find the "MSTP_DisplayFreeAddresses" setting and set it to "False". Close the settings window.
    - Click the "Add device (search)" button in the toolbar (green circle with a white plus in it). This will open the Search window.
    - Under the "BACnet/MSTP over serial" heading, select the COM port of your USB adapter in the "Port" setting, set the baud rate of your network in the "Baud" setting, set "Source Address" to a unique address on the MS/TP bus (this is the address of YABE itself on the network), and leave "Max Master" and "Max Frames" at default. Click the "Add" button.
    - In the Devices pane you should see "COMx" below "Devices" and any discovered devices should appear below "COMx". If you don't see any devices, double check your wiring and communication settings (port, baud rate, source address, etc.).
    - Select the discovered device in the Devices pane to see the objects on the device. The objects will be shown in the Address Space pane.
    - Right click on the discovered device in the Devices pane and select "Get Properties name" to have YABE read the names of all objects in the Address Space pane.
    - Select an object in the Address Space pane to see all properties of that object in the Properties pane.

Post Likes

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by jschulze View Post
    Yes, YABE will work for that. I use it on Windows 10 without issues. I use a USB adapter that has an FTDI chip in it, which is quite common.

To discover and inspect object details in YABE for BACnet MS/TP, do the following:
    - Open YABE
    - (Optional, but recommended) Click on the Options menu and select Settings. Find the "MSTP_DisplayFreeAddresses" setting and set it to "False". Close the settings window.
    - Click the "Add device (search)" button in the toolbar (green circle with a white plus in it). This will open the Search window.
    - Under the "BACnet/MSTP over serial" heading, select the COM port of your USB adapter in the "Port" setting, set the baud rate of your network in the "Baud" setting, set "Source Address" to a unique address on the MS/TP bus (this is the address of YABE itself on the network), and leave "Max Master" and "Max Frames" at default. Click the "Add" button.
    - In the Devices pane you should see "COMx" below "Devices" and any discovered devices should appear below "COMx". If you don't see any devices, double check your wiring and communication settings (port, baud rate, source address, etc.).
    - Select the discovered device in the Devices pane to see the objects on the device. The objects will be shown in the Address Space pane.
    - Right click on the discovered device in the Devices pane and select "Get Properties name" to have YABE read the names of all objects in the Address Space pane.
    - Select an object in the Address Space pane to see all properties of that object in the Properties pane.
    Thank you a lot. Appreciated

Post Likes
    Agree, YABE is great for USB-rs485, and bacnet/ip. My go to discovery/troubleshooting software.

Any other suggestions for software that supports both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast