Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convert a Personal Computer to a BACNet Router and Controller

Post Likes
    I saw a video of a person using YABE software directly connecting to a single BACnet Device using a generic USB to RS485 Adapter. I need to discover BACnet device with its properties. But only one device is connected. Any suggestions ?

Post Likes
    You can use YABE (Yet Another BACnet Explorer) and a USB to RS-485 adapter. YABE is a free BACnet explorer/browser and allows you to discover devices and browse objects and properties on BACnet MS/TP as well as BACnet/IP, BACnet Ethernet, and BACnet PTP. I have used it for both MS/TP and IP. It works well, is easy to use, and has a lot of features.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/yet...acnetexplorer/

3. Likes bolt950rider liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thank you a lot. My laptop has windows 10. and I need also to find out object/ point details. Will it work? I have ordered USB to RS 485 Adapter on Amazon.

Thank you again

Post Likes
    Yes, YABE will work for that. I use it on Windows 10 without issues. I use a USB adapter that has an FTDI chip in it, which is quite common.

To discover and inspect object details in YABE for BACnet MS/TP, do the following:
    - Open YABE
    - (Optional, but recommended) Click on the Options menu and select Settings. Find the "MSTP_DisplayFreeAddresses" setting and set it to "False". Close the settings window.
    - Click the "Add device (search)" button in the toolbar (green circle with a white plus in it). This will open the Search window.
    - Under the "BACnet/MSTP over serial" heading, select the COM port of your USB adapter in the "Port" setting, set the baud rate of your network in the "Baud" setting, set "Source Address" to a unique address on the MS/TP bus (this is the address of YABE itself on the network), and leave "Max Master" and "Max Frames" at default. Click the "Add" button.
    - In the Devices pane you should see "COMx" below "Devices" and any discovered devices should appear below "COMx". If you don't see any devices, double check your wiring and communication settings (port, baud rate, source address, etc.).
    - Select the discovered device in the Devices pane to see the objects on the device. The objects will be shown in the Address Space pane.
    - Right click on the discovered device in the Devices pane and select "Get Properties name" to have YABE read the names of all objects in the Address Space pane.
    - Select an object in the Address Space pane to see all properties of that object in the Properties pane.

Post Likes

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by jschulze View Post
    Yes, YABE will work for that. I use it on Windows 10 without issues. I use a USB adapter that has an FTDI chip in it, which is quite common.

To discover and inspect object details in YABE for BACnet MS/TP, do the following:
    - Open YABE
    - (Optional, but recommended) Click on the Options menu and select Settings. Find the "MSTP_DisplayFreeAddresses" setting and set it to "False". Close the settings window.
    - Click the "Add device (search)" button in the toolbar (green circle with a white plus in it). This will open the Search window.
    - Under the "BACnet/MSTP over serial" heading, select the COM port of your USB adapter in the "Port" setting, set the baud rate of your network in the "Baud" setting, set "Source Address" to a unique address on the MS/TP bus (this is the address of YABE itself on the network), and leave "Max Master" and "Max Frames" at default. Click the "Add" button.
    - In the Devices pane you should see "COMx" below "Devices" and any discovered devices should appear below "COMx". If you don't see any devices, double check your wiring and communication settings (port, baud rate, source address, etc.).
    - Select the discovered device in the Devices pane to see the objects on the device. The objects will be shown in the Address Space pane.
    - Right click on the discovered device in the Devices pane and select "Get Properties name" to have YABE read the names of all objects in the Address Space pane.
    - Select an object in the Address Space pane to see all properties of that object in the Properties pane.
    Thank you a lot. Appreciated

Post Likes
    Agree, YABE is great for USB-rs485, and bacnet/ip. My go to discovery/troubleshooting software.

Any other suggestions for software that supports both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes

Probelm AT DISCOVERING UNIT

I should have explained it in more detail. I want to get point list for I/O Flex 6147 controller. Which is OEMc controller Unit is Governair make. The company does not have a point list. It has BACview 6 system.

I did all settings as per the manual and used Dtech USB 2.0 to RS 485 converter. I used YABE software. But I was not able to discover a controller also. Do anyone have a solution to a problem.

I am in Frankfort Indianapolis

My email is <email removed>.
    Ph number 313 424 5553.
    Last edited by kontrolphreak; 09-13-2019 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Site rules.

Post Likes
    Have you verified the controller is set up for MSTP and not ARC156? If so have you verified baud rate?

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post
    Have you verified the controller is set up for MSTP and not ARC156? If so have you verified baud rate?

kontrol out
    I agree - or that you have the wires hooked up correctly, and that the bus voltages are ok? If you set YABE to a come on the trunk at a particular MSTP MAC, is that duplicated elsewhere on the trunk?

If you was using a BACNet/IP - MACnet/MSTP router, some have some diagnostic features that can help you narrow things down.
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    You have to use "port 2a" to connect ms/tp, as the primary port does not have dip switches to bring it down from arc156.
    Verify the following :
    1. you are using port2a,
    2. that the EIA-485/232 jumper is on EIA-485 (jumper block just above port2a)
    3. that the 4 wire/2 wire jumper is set to 2 wire. (located just above the EIA jumper)
    4. the 8 dip switch block needs to be set properly. If I assume you want the device to be a master on MS/TP 76.8 set them as follows:
    SW #1 = on
    SW #2 = on
    SW #5 = Off
    SW #6 = Off
    SW #7 = Off
    SW #8 = Off
    (sw 3 and 4 are not used, and of course if you set it to a master, make sure your max masters elsewhere are set properly to find this module's mac addr.)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB View Post
    You have to use "port 2a" to connect ms/tp, as the primary port does not have dip switches to bring it down from arc156.
    Verify the following :
    1. you are using port2a,
    2. that the EIA-485/232 jumper is on EIA-485 (jumper block just above port2a)
    3. that the 4 wire/2 wire jumper is set to 2 wire. (located just above the EIA jumper)
    4. the 8 dip switch block needs to be set properly. If I assume you want the device to be a master on MS/TP 76.8 set them as follows:
    SW #1 = on
    SW #2 = on
    SW #5 = Off
    SW #6 = Off
    SW #7 = Off
    SW #8 = Off
    (so 3 and 4 are not used, and of course, if you set it to a master, make sure your max masters elsewhere are set properly to find this module's mac addr.)

Thank you for all the details. I did all the same things. Only thing I changed it was I kept the Unit as Master, I think DP switch 5 as On. Should I keep it as a slave when I am using YABE? There is the only unit connected on Trunk.

Also, It has BACview system connected. I wanted to know is there a way to get point list from BACview system. Also, I was not able to see settings (Like MAC Address or instance number ) on BACview systems.

If I need on-field assistance at Frankfort Indiana, does anyone know if someone can help me out?

Post Likes
    If Governair can't help and you really are stuck you can contact your local ALC branch and ask service to send out a OEM Certified tech. ALC makes those modules and OEM certified techs can assist the OEM in supporting the product. They will know much more about making the controller work than the typical OEM technician but they will be handcuffed in getting deep programming access unless the OEM gives them a license which is unlikely.

Really though Governair should be able to do this, mike take a bit to get in touch with the right guy.

Post Likes
    Ok so first
    Have you cycled power on the controller after moving the dip switches and changing the jumpers. Changes won’t take affect until this is done.
    Also has the i/o flex been addressed. There are two rotary switches located on the controller. Verify they are not set to 0 and 0. If they are address them to whatever you want. Then cycle power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12