Thread: Decisions Decisions Decisions!!

Post Likes

Decisions Decisions Decisions!!

Hello, first post on this site but have been following it alot lately as im looking to replace my existing system! Very informative site thank you!

I'm looking into replacing my existing system, getting a couple quotes, and I just dont know which way to go, both contractors seem great and knowlegable but im just looking to see what the pro's on this site think.

My house is a 10 year old, 2100sqft split entry home with walkout basement in Minnesota.

Current system:
    Armstrong Air 92.5% 67k BTU Input furnace
    Armstrong Air Concept 10, 2 ton R-22, with cased evap coil

My current system work is still working but looking for something a little more efficient and being the house is new to me I plan on staying here a long time. The current 2 ton AC has no problem keeping my house at 74 even on the hottest days (100*) so I think its sized correctly.

I have narrowed my search down to 2 different systems.

Bid 1:
    Rheem, RGRM06EMAES Furnace 95% 2 stage Variable Speed
    Rheem, RARL024JEZ AC 16 Seer R-410a
    Rheem, RCFLHM2617CC cased N-coil

Bid 2:
    Heil, G9MVT06014A Furnace 96% 2 stage Variable speed
    Heil, HSA624GKA AC 16 seer R-410a
    Heil, EAM4X24T17A1 Cased A-coil

My questions are what would be the difference between A vs. N coil and I have heard alot of talk about the new Aluminum Evap coils being better than the normal copper coils? Also in terms of reliability of the systems how do they stack up against each other? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    I did get a couple other quotes but they said 2 ton was to small for my house, I disagreed.

Post Likes
    if they are going to use that "N" coil- they had better make sure the duct work is top shelf, those things will choke the life out of air flow
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Comfy in MN View Post
    I did get a couple other quotes but they said 2 ton was to small for my house, I disagreed.
    Very smart. I commend you for that simple-common-sense logic.

I am not dealer of either brand.

I vote on Heil. AND hope that the contractor is a darn good one.

Post Likes
    Should do fine with either system.

Personally I'd see if I could get some more life out of the current stuff. Little gas savings going from 92 to 95%. With MN electric rates being reasonable usually and mild summers, paying for 16 SEER probably isn't going to happen unless you just like the ultimate. And recovering the premium for those 2 units in a 2 ton over a good 14/15 SEER single stage likely won't happen in the life of the unit either. But if money isn't an object...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Should do fine with either system.

Personally I'd see if I could get some more life out of the current stuff. Little gas savings going from 92 to 95%. With MN electric rates being reasonable usually and mild summers, paying for 16 SEER probably isn't going to happen unless you just like the ultimate. And recovering the premium for those 2 units in a 2 ton over a good 14/15 SEER single stage likely won't happen in the life of the unit either. But if money isn't an object...
    Thanks for your input. I guess I never really thought about keeping the current stuff until it dies, I was just thinking about the future when the armstrongs honeywell smartvalve goes it is a VERY expensive fix as my friend who has the same furnace found out. A warranty would be nice, they are offering 10 parts and 5 labor on the new equipment. Maybe if I could have them find a nice 13/14 seer ac thats not builder grade I would consider going down in seer, also doesnt the 2 stage furnace give a more comforable heat with a 2 stage thermostat?

Post Likes
    OMG... this might be the first new construction house in a northern climate I've seen on here that looks like it actually has a properly size system. Unbelieveable.

I agree with others, keep running the existing system. Get another 5 years out of it, then look at soemthing for comfort and efficiency then. Maybe a 2 stage AC and modulating furnace 5 years from now.

You won't save much replacing the system unless for example, it was oversized.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in