Post Likes

Johnson NCM help

We have several NCM's on a customer site that are connected to an NIE-85. I need to add points to one of the NCM's, but haven't done so for a few years. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I remember connecting with a serial cable, but do not remember using any special tools to access the DB. I think my old laptop was setup as a PMI Workstation, but am not sure if that's what I used. Is there any way to connect and add points that doesn't require a PHd? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Need the PMI software. No PHD required.

Post Likes
    PMI was used to connect as a workstation on the network. I only want to be able to add points to the single NC. I know that you can configure the laptop to log on as an unconfigured workstation, but what is that going to allow you to see. You do not have a Global file, so there will be no point directories.

Post Likes
    If you setup the laptop (with PMI installed) as "unconfigured" and you correctly connect to the network (NCM) you will not see any groups but you will have access to all of the "Systems" which contain the "Points". You can add any new "Points" to the appropriate "System".
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    Stupid should Hurt !
    If people took care of their cars like they do their HVAC Systems you'd see a lot more people walking
    !

Post Likes
    I do remember doing that and also that everything will be in the systems directory. Thanks for waking up that part of my brain. I believe I still have a copy of the last PMI. Do you know if it will load onto XP?

Post Likes
    Rev 12.04 with the J(?) patch. Not sure about which patch fixed the biggest of the problems.

"Be careful out there" Sgt Esterhouse-Hill Street Bluse (90's cop drama)

Good Luck.

BTW, PMI is both the "Workstation" and the programming tool, but you probably know that (wink)!
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    Stupid should Hurt !
    If people took care of their cars like they do their HVAC Systems you'd see a lot more people walking
    !

Post Likes
    If you have an NIE with NCMs you should still have an active PMI workstation on site. Otherwise you would have database maintanance issues since the NIE cant download an NCM. And some of the NCM/IP information is there as well, listing the NIE as a device on the system as I recall

Post Likes
    I have done a little more homework on it and managed to get into the system the other day. I was able to setup a newer laptop with XP Pro and loaded PMI 12.03 onto it. Once I got into the system, I received a big Global Update. Everything came in under the "Systems" group as expected, but what I didn't expect was to see the entire NCM network. The NC that I went into is also a Migration NC with DSC-8500's. My only issue was passwords. I got lucky, because my old friends must have deleted the default JCI passwords and only left a couple of their own, one of which I remembered. I was able to add points, then discover them at the NIE. I did not examine the Global file, but some literature I read said that the NIE should be defined in the Global as the OWS. This makes sense to me as this would be the place to keep the Archive files. I did not try uploading to the Archive yet, as I was happy enough just to get into the system. Going forward, we will have to get into the system a little deeper, but so far, I have had huge success with step 1.

Post Likes
    Not quite, the NIE cannot be the archive, you need to have an OWS for that because you have to compile the DDL and translate the GPL, then point the NCMs to the OWS with NCSETUP or WNCSETUP so they can reload if there is an extended power outage or any other event

Post Likes
    There is no archive OWS on site. The GPL can still be compiled and downloaded via laptop if needed. I understand what you are saying about the NC requiring downloads, if necessary. The JCI literature states that the NIE should be setup in the Global as the OWS. I still need to do a little more digging, but for now, it appears to be how it is setup.

Post Likes
    Set up as "AN" OWS not "THE" OWS though. The NIE cant be the archive. Use WNCsetup or NCsetup to go into the NCMs and see where the archive is set for, usually the port or IP of the computer with the complied files. Although they could have all been directly loaded and never had an OWS, but you loose that automatic download feature of course. Guess it doesnt really matter unless your planning on adding an OWS. If you have the GPL files and no OWS your lucky, and at least your covered for that.