Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 58910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    just so happens, this afternoon we I got passed by a BRAND NEW 2019 BMW i8 Roadster, $167,000 Hybird

possibly one of the most stunningly good looking cars I have ever laid eyes on. I even like it more than a Lambo.

Im going to buy one as soon as someone gives my $160,000

Where do I send the check?

NOT!!!
    Eric

Post Likes
    I think the Lambo is the better car.

PHM
    ---------

just so happens, this afternoon we I got passed by a BRAND NEW 2019 BMW i8 Roadster, $167,000 Hybird

possibly one of the most stunningly good looking cars I have ever laid eyes on. I even like it more than a Lambo.

Im going to buy one as soon as someone gives my $160,000
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post

PHM
    ---------
    I kinda agree, but like other exotic auto's, you have to look at maintenance and repairs, Lambo's take months to get repaired because of parts availability.

One of my best friends ( we have know each other since we were 10) has been in the collision business for 45 years, he now works exclusively on exotic cars. He recently ( last year) had a Lime green Lamborghini Countach in the shop. It is owned by a KID that goes to Rochester Institute of Technology. The kid ran over a curb...DUH! As my buddy says " just because your car cost a ton of money, don't mean you know how to drive it"

He said it took two months to get the parts to fix it. Unfortunately, 2 weeks after he fixed the car it was back in the shop because the kid got rear ended, apparently someone wanted a closer look at the car, LOL anyway, that took another three months to fix,

BMW on the other hand has a world wide distribution system and can get parts much, much quicker. So as far as exotic and sexy goes, look at the maintenance schedule as well as the desire to won such a car
    PANIC
    Rarely works

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post

PHM
    ---------
    Depends if you want something that drives for you eh?

Post Likes
    Yes. But further: I have been thinking about what someone said earlier. I used to favor Ferrari but over time I realized that Lamborghini was mechanically superior. And the story of exactly Why there even are Lamborghini cars always delighted me.

But after thinking more about what someone said earlier about BMW being the superior Company to deal with - I have changed my mind: all things considered, I think he's right that BMW would be the better way to spend the money on an 'exotic' car.

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by curiousos View Post
    Depends if you want something that drives for you eh?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Introducing TRUCKLA
    Eric

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ESokoloff View Post
    Introducing TRUCKLA
    when an electric vehicle can go over 500 miles without recharging call me.

the style, speed, power are very impressive, what they lack is longevity
    PANIC
    Rarely works

Post Likes

I am going to say 1000 miles...as in the winter distance is drastically reduced.
    Also it's not like you can supercharger anywhere so you will be filling when you don't need to as some of the supercharger stations are far apart..
    Heaters suck...even if they put decent heaters in.. there goes more range out the window.
    If they out in larger battery packs..well just takes longer to charge at home... vehicle...needs to be ready in the morning.... nope...cold weather... nope..it's worse..slower charging with alot of waste going to heat batteries..
    Good luck visiting someone unless they also have a Tesla charger.
    If they ever catch..electric rates will triple...now imagine peak demand hours as well... get hit twice while charging overnight...so not only is the Tesla's outrageous as far as dollar per mile if they catch on...as now they are only comparable to an economy car...so let's triple that if they go main stream...then triple what your electric usually is anyway..let's say about 125...now 375 just for the same usage before the charger..now about double to triple of what one currently spends on fuel.
    Outrageous Insurance..
    Very expensive parts.
    Junky cars.
    Tied up at dealership for ages over simple repairs.
    Warranty denials.
    No thanks.

Post Likes

You are absolutely right.

Solid State battery's exist in lab form but have yet to be perfected for mass production.

Today's EV's battery's are not for everyone but for some, they are Goodenough
    and tomorrow's battery's will be even better!!.

The gal in that video is fighting a brain tumor & doesn't have time to wait for perfection & neither do I. Riding a motorcycle favors youth & Im running low on that.

From what I'm reading lately, it going to be 5 plus years before your battery specs will come to market.
    When it does, the market should favor EV over ICE as the initial & operational costs should be lower.
    Eric

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ESokoloff View Post
    You are absolutely right.

Solid State battery's exist in lab form but have yet to be perfected for mass production.

Today's EV's battery's are not for everyone but for some, they are Goodenough
    and tomorrow's battery's will be even better!!.

The gal in that video is fighting a brain tumor & doesn't have time to wait for perfection & neither do I. Riding a motorcycle favors youth & Im running low on that.

From what I'm reading lately, it going to be 5 plus years before your battery specs will come to market.
    When it does, the market should favor EV over ICE as the initial & operational costs should be lower.

all of this is going to get worse. More and more communities are demanding house holds go "renewable energy" or solar. Engineers are now going to have to figure in the amount of solar necessary to charge a car or truck?? How is that going to work. How much is this going to add to a renewable energy system?

In new Yorkistan, capt'n Corruption Cuomo is demanding NYS be "completely renewable energy by 2050, but the legislature is trying to "up that to 2030.

I'm am curious as to what the power companies think of this. This will very well but them out of business
    PANIC
    Rarely works

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Guy View Post
    I am going to say 1000 miles...as in the winter distance is drastically reduced.
    Also it's not like you can supercharger anywhere so you will be filling when you don't need to as some of the supercharger stations are far apart..
    Heaters suck...even if they put decent heaters in.. there goes more range out the window.
    If they out in larger battery packs..well just takes longer to charge at home... vehicle...needs to be ready in the morning.... nope...cold weather... nope..it's worse..slower charging with alot of waste going to heat batteries..
    Good luck visiting someone unless they also have a Tesla charger.
    If they ever catch..electric rates will triple...now imagine peak demand hours as well... get hit twice while charging overnight...so not only is the Tesla's outrageous as far as dollar per mile if they catch on...as now they are only comparable to an economy car...so let's triple that if they go main stream...then triple what your electric usually is anyway..let's say about 125...now 375 just for the same usage before the charger..now about double to triple of what one currently spends on fuel.
    Outrageous Insurance..
    Very expensive parts.
    Junky cars.
    Tied up at dealership for ages over simple repairs.
    Warranty denials.
    No thanks.
    I am sure wheelwrights and buggy whip salespeople shared similar thoughts 100+ years ago. One would be lucky to find a gallon of gas at a drugstore. But times changed and people and businesses changed along with it. Horse and buggies and cars coexisted for awhile but one clearly was destined to win and it is the same today. The success of the automobile did not depend on people who did not want to give up the past and the same will be true in the future. Maybe the time isn't right for everybody to get an EV but it will be for many now and in the near future.

Conductive carbon nanotubes have been developed that are much more efficient and you don't have to warm the engine up to get heat.

Insurance costs more because the cars cost more, for now.

Electric Cars Are Estimated to Be Cheaper Than Regular Cars by 2022

https://singularityhub.com/2019/04/2...-cars-by-2022/

Electric cars are very reliable. For example GM's most reliable car is the Volt.

Electric cars do not need much of the maintenance associated with gasoline engines so there is less time at the dealership.

Electric rates will not triple and in fact there is evidence that EV cars can push the price down.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    all of this is going to get worse. More and more communities are demanding house holds go "renewable energy" or solar. Engineers are now going to have to figure in the amount of solar necessary to charge a car or truck?? How is that going to work. How much is this going to add to a renewable energy system?

In new Yorkistan, capt'n Corruption Cuomo is demanding NYS be "completely renewable energy by 2050, but the legislature is trying to "up that to 2030.

I'm am curious as to what the power companies think of this. This will very well but them out of business
    Just by definition there will be "power companies" in the future. It is not important that they are the same companies of today. I see having new companies getting involved can only be a plus. The smart ones of today are investing in renewable energy.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    I am sure wheelwrights and buggy whip salespeople shared similar thoughts 100+ years ago. One would be lucky to find a gallon of gas at a drugstore. But times changed and people and businesses changed along with it. Horse and buggies and cars coexisted for awhile but one clearly was destined to win and it is the same today. The success of the automobile did not depend on people who did not want to give up the past and the same will be true in the future. Maybe the time isn't right for everybody to get an EV but it will be for many now and in the near future.

Conductive carbon nanotubes have been developed that are much more efficient and you don't have to warm the engine up to get heat.

Insurance costs more because the cars cost more, for now.

Electric Cars Are Estimated to Be Cheaper Than Regular Cars by 2022

https://singularityhub.com/2019/04/2...-cars-by-2022/

Electric cars are very reliable. For example GM's most reliable car is the Volt.

Electric cars do not need much of the maintenance associated with gasoline engines so there is less time at the dealership.

Electric rates will not triple and in fact there is evidence that EV cars can push the price down.
    It's not about giving up our current past..the love of the Gasoline engine.
    The problem is our power grid will not handle everyone charging these vehicles.
    Also the cold weather problems still exist for current electric vehicles...reduced range.. reduced performance.. poor heating systems.
    Tesla's are junk..is the main reason to not purchase one..sure they have plenty of power in good weather..that's all they have going for them.
    As far as the Chevy volt you mentioned..it has problems as well...but that's not even the reason it didn't catch on in the market..It didn't have the push that Tesla has..Tesla was able to create a love affair with the vehicles they produce due to hype...Fact is if they were actually good they would have taken off like a rocket long ago..
    People buy a Tesla.. That Tesla is what stops others from buying a Tesla as they see the problems that come with owning it.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 58910111213141516 LastLast