Thread: Replacing Allsyle coil due to leak

Post Likes

Replacing Allsyle coil due to leak

Hi, I am woman about to get estimates on replacing a an 4 ton 10 seer allstyle coil due to a leak. I'm hoping to draw on your wisdom to educate myself. I've done some internet work but unsure on a few things.
    1. Currently on R-22 and going back with R-22. Does the freon have to be purged (captured) and then replaced or can it just be pumped and trapped in compressor while replacement takes place and then topped off if necessary?
    2. Is it really OK to use a 13 seer coil with a 10 seer compressor or will this put undue stress on my compressor?

Would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyhe View Post
    Hi, I am woman about to get estimates on replacing a an 4 ton 10 seer allstyle coil due to a leak. I'm hoping to draw on your wisdom to educate myself. I've done some internet work but unsure on a few things.
    1. Currently on R-22 and going back with R-22. Does the freon have to be purged (captured) and then replaced or can it just be pumped and trapped in compressor while replacement takes place and then topped off if necessary?
    2. Is it really OK to use a 13 seer coil with a 10 seer compressor or will this put undue stress on my compressor?

Would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
    What is the age of the equipment?

Post Likes
    The only "problem" could be the height of the newer 13 sEER coil. It'll be taller than the older 10 SEER coil. But higher efficiency A coil should not harm the lower efficiency condenser. Usually you can trap most of the freon inside the outdoor unit and then just top it off. Also add at least a liquid line dryer to system to remove any contaminates, and make sure all connections are leaked checked really well!!

Post Likes
    It's 12 year old york but the former owner put new motor in compressor 3 years ago. And warranty co for home only willing to replace coil so new system not an option. Just want to make sure I'm clear on the right and wrong way to do things as I've been told various by the warranty co and contractors thus far.

Post Likes
    EXACTLY what wahoo said.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in