+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Communicating Trane XL20i and TAM8

Post Likes

Communicating Trane XL20i and TAM8

I know some have disliked the Trane Hyperion air handlers but I love them, they have been working great and are incredibly quiet. Here is a recent install of a TAM8 air handler with a 3 Ton XL20i and a Trane XL950 thermostat and clean effects air purification. This is the customers second XL20i, when they moved the heating system was the first thing they upgraded they liked their last homes system so much.

http://youtu.be/lQ025fDfpNs

I know that somebody will comment on this but, that is where the white temperature sensor is supposed to be, this unit is communicating so sensors go in places other than where you would normally put them because most of the sensing is done on board the XL20i unit.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    I know that somebody will comment on this but, that is where the white temperature sensor is supposed to be, this unit is communicating so sensors go in places other than where you would normally put them because most of the sensing is done on board the XL20i unit.

I was going to ask, Then I read this. lol

No way to protect the 2 wire on the sensor?

Post Likes
    Other than it being a Trane, the install looks very good!
    WHY?

Post Likes
    Hey Travis, I just got a letter in the mail from my distributor stating one can not use the clean effects whith the TAM8 communicating air handler. Obviously you have, any problems with the setup?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acsolutionsllc View Post
    Hey Travis, I just got a letter in the mail from my distributor stating one can not use the clean effects with the TAM8 communicating air handler. Obviously you have, any problems with the setup?
    No problems. There are certain model numbers of Clean Effects that are NOT communicating so you need to select a communicating clean effects or it will not work. If it is a non communicating clean effects then it will break the communication signal between the devices and cause errors. Check with your distributor to see how old their inventory is if you are a Trane dealer.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    I know some have disliked the Trane Hyperion air handlers but I love them, they have been working great and are incredibly quiet. Here is a recent install of a TAM8 air handler with a 3 Ton XL20i and a Trane XL950 thermostat and clean effects air purification. This is the customers second XL20i, when they moved the heating system was the first thing they upgraded they liked their last homes system so much.

http://youtu.be/lQ025fDfpNs

I had 2 of these units installed in February and kept getting error codes 89 and 91. After several service calls they finally said they were having problems with clean effects communicating with the Tam8 and were trying to find a fix for it. In the mean time they hooked up a circuit sensing relay with the communicating wire disconected. I called Trane corp office to complain and after telling them this is not what i paid for and they can take both units out they sent me an email promising they would put me on a list to fix this issue as soon as they figure it out.I called 3weeks ago and they said still no fix.I love the unit but not happy that feature is not working and feel my system is rigged with this circuit sensing relay.Spent way too much money installing 2 of these units for it not to work as advertised. So are you saying there is a fix, they just need to give me the newer model for clean effects ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Post Likes
    Yes there is a clean effects model specifically for the communicating systems. They should be able to simply swap the power door.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Post Likes
    Nice install! Communicating equipment is the wave of the future.

Still have a ton of hate for a electronic air cleaner though!!!! Like selling someone a car you have to change the oil on every 30 days!!!

Post Likes
    Good install. Looks like it is a little too close to the house. Should have put a Lennox system in

Post Likes
    I thought the outdoor temp sensor was installed on the outdoor unit or is this something else
    Read, read, read!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith816 View Post
    Good install. Looks like it is a little too close to the house. Should have put a Lennox system in
    Lennox doesn't even make a communicating system....

Post Likes
    Is the metal duct in the cement?
    Always here

Post Likes
    It does look close in the video but I assure you it's 12" from the siding to the unit, that's our code here.

Yes the metal duct out of the bottom of the air handler is in the cement, that's how 95% of homes are installed here. Base can set before garage poor with ducting going to the crawl and a riser on the side going to the second floor. Most homes don't have basements and we almost exclusively use downflow furnaces lol.

Yes most of the sensors are on the unit, I would have to ask my technician what that one is for but I know it was needed even for communicating.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in