Thread: Can I double filter my return air

Post Likes

Can I double filter my return air

I am having a new carrier heat pump installed by a local dealer. We are using model fv4cnf003 air handler. There will be no filter at the air handler. before the air handler I am installing and electronic air cleaner. Model eacb-2020. My installer is telling me that I cannot install a 1 inch pleated filter at the return air grill also. I understand the concern with reduced air flow, but I don’t think that an electronic air cleaner and a simple 1 inch filtrete filter is too much. I have dogs in the house. 2 huskies. They shed like crazy. I am concerned with the dog hair building up inside the return air duct and getting past the electronic air cleaner.

Can I install a simple 1 inch traditional filter at the return air grill in addition to my electronic air cleaner?

Post Likes
    Yes you can put a 1" filter in the grill. Will it cause any problems, Maybe. Should you do it, no, not if your dealer says it will be a problem.

The thing is your duct may have enough resistance to it that even though a EAC has a very low drop the combination may still be too much. I am not familier with that EAC but it could also be the the electronics in the EAC filter may not let it work with the added 1" filter. I have to assume your dealer knows best on this one, but it never hurts to ask for a deeper explaination.

Just an added thought, maybe the return could be increased {for an added cost} to accomadate both filters.

Post Likes
    I tried discussing it with my installer, but he would not elaborate. I will call his boss on Monday and try to get a better answer. unfortunately, the guy who gave me the estimate and who runs the show, is not the guy doing the work. I don’t have a lot of confidence in the workers reasoning skills. don’t get me wrong, he does good work, but he is only doing what the boss tells him to and can’t seem to make any decisions on his own.

Post Likes
    I certainly wouldn't install a very aggressive filter in there. If anything, just a lint screen to slow down the EAC inlet getting physically clogged up. No need for fine filtering with an EAC, as it will catch the really tiny stuff for you. Really depends on how 'linty' your home is. Pet hair/dander, lots of linens, etc will create quite a bit of 'large' particulate, that could end up getting hung up on the inlet of the EAC. So i'd focus on prefiltering that stuff only.

Post Likes
    Might sound strange, but why couldn't you install your conventional filter somewhere "after" the electronic air cleaner? It would act as a backup to the heavier stuff, dog hair/etc.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    How can I determine if my setup will allow a second "paper filter". I hate to be "that guy", but I dont like to take the techs word for it without any back up. I know that he is far more knowledgeable at this than I am, but it is my money and I want to make sure that I get what is best.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by djasinski View Post
    How can I determine if my setup will allow a second "paper filter". I hate to be "that guy", but I dont like to take the techs word for it without any back up. I know that he is far more knowledgeable at this than I am, but it is my money and I want to make sure that I get what is best.
    The correct way to know would be to measure the airflow and ESP. Then you would know if you can restrict it any more by adding another filter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by djasinski View Post
    I am having a new carrier heat pump installed by a local dealer. We are using model fv4cnf003 air handler. There will be no filter at the air handler. before the air handler I am installing and electronic air cleaner. Model eacb-2020. My installer is telling me that I cannot install a 1 inch pleated filter at the return air grill also. I understand the concern with reduced air flow, but I don’t think that an electronic air cleaner and a simple 1 inch filtrete filter is too much. I have dogs in the house. 2 huskies. They shed like crazy. I am concerned with the dog hair building up inside the return air duct and getting past the electronic air cleaner.

Can I install a simple 1 inch traditional filter at the return air grill in addition to my electronic air cleaner?
    Yes you can install a 1" filter in return air grill. You need to aware of what type of filter you install. With EAC filter like the Trane clean effects, I recommend to my customers to buy the cheapest 1" poly filters they can find and use those. You would need to change them every month.

I just wouldn't use anything more then that with EAC filter system. If you used a 1" pleated filter along with the EAC you would run the risk of restricting the air flow. Is the air handler a variable speed? If so it will ramp up faster to move the air flow that it is set for due to the design. I would always suggest that you do what the installer says because he is there and sees the set up.

Post Likes
    it is a variable speed blower

without having any equiptment, how do I determine cfm and esp.

Post Likes
    The installer will/should set up the air handler via dip switchs to match with your heat pump outside. They should also set up the variable speed profile for what they determine to be be the best setting for your location.

Examples: cfm per ton to help remove humidity, etc... To now the ESP they can look at date on the unit and EAC and give a general idea. Once the system is installed the duct system should be checked to give you the true reading of what te ESP will be.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in