+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 door delfield ... what would you do?

Post Likes
    History:

Unit has eaten 3 paragons in 6 mos with the last one I was able to identify a bad molex and replaced it with but splices, yellows to be sure. Next call is the stat, put a penn on instead. Now here is the kicker!

Fire the unit up and feel no heat at all off the cond. Touch the discharge line and learn I could hold it for an hour! Go to the truck and grab the gauges thinking another condensate pan leaker etc. 140 head, 1 psi suction, start sniffin with the D-tek, nada. What would you do? refrigerant is 404 and ambient is 70-75, box temp is 78.

I will post the results later and I suspect many will be surprised.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    i think i would look at a filter drier restriction. Scale in a charge to see if it is that.

Post Likes
    Cap tube restricted

Replace and install a new Sporlan Capt-032S drier

Chances are the compressor has over heated and slugged the oil, now it is maple syrup. Best of luck and don't warranty it past the human scent rule.. it's good until you can't smell me anymore then the warranty is over.

Post Likes
    You could just throw that junk box away.

Isn't Delfield chinese for POS?
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by kim
    You could just throw that junk box away.

Isn't Delfield Chinese for POS?
    No... it's Michigan for "Thank goodness,I am employed".

Just as in cars to tools... there has to be a high end, middle of the road and low end. I have seen some Delfield equipment last through some really tough beatings yet there some that don't make the first week.

Delfield can't control end user abuse.

Now, if only you and I can come up with a way to keep the coils clean and the condensers with adequate fresh air supply, then we can go to China and start our own POS company.

Post Likes
    I am mostly familiar with their little boxes. Where you can't even see the condenser fan. Then it has a special mounting that makes a $15 motor a special order that takes 3 to 7 days and costs $65.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Post Likes
    Ok, well interesting thoughts.

First thought was leak obviously, then, found no easy leak but it did work yesterday and I happen to know it was fine as this is a regular customer we even pm quarterly.

Not wanting to waste a lot of time, I yanked the gas out and popped it with nitro and got the ultra sonic out, nada. Still convinced it has a leak I decide to raise the pressures beyond 120 psi. The mgr asked me a question just as I opened the nitro valve up and I looked up at him, then realized I needed to pay attention! Before I got it cut off, I had 297 psi in it. Not bad for the cond but I am not a fan of such pressures on the low side of the system.

25 minutes later still 297. In case I forgot to mention I gave it a five minute evac before adding the nitro because I really hate it when some refer is left and the pressure rises on test. Ok so it is official, there is NO LEAK. vac it down and shoot 19 oz of gas into it. Fire it up and almost the same thing 160 over 6 for pressures.

Pop the evap lid and both lines are frosting (dual feed cap system) in fact doing so fairly evenly. now eventually the suction got up to about 9 but the head never went over 175 which is 80 degrees saturated temp.

The discharge was cool but slightly warmer than before and comp amps were at about 93% RLA so I am really having a WTF moment with this thing. Then it began to warm up a bit, we are talking perhaps 5 to 10 minutes of operation and the discharge line is getting warm enough not to want to hang on to it, but likely would not leave a mark if you grabed it for 3 minutes. Now there is some heat starting to come off the condenser etc and it feels like it is doing some work.

The box started pulling down at a very decent rate, 2 or 3 degrees a minute and kept right on going just like it should!

I have never come across such a thing and the head never really rose above 180 and no it ain't gauges because I stuck a second set on because I thought that same thing.

FYI KIM, you pay the shipping and I will sell you all the delfield motors you want at 55 bucks! You ain't shoppin at the right stores if you are paying that because you are over our sell price.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Originally posted by kim
    I am mostly familiar with their little boxes. Where you can't even see the condenser fan. Then it has a special mounting that makes a $15 motor a special order that takes 3 to 7 days and costs $65.
    Johnstone has a motor made specifically to replace those and they cost a lot less.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by k_fridge
    Originally posted by kim
    Johnstone has a motor made specifically to replace those and they cost a lot less.
    I know why they are so cheap too... wanta see my junk box?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Lusker
    Originally posted by k_fridge
    Originally posted by kim
    I know why they are so cheap too... wanta see my junk box?
    We've never had any trouble with them.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in