+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3ton Raheem hp CRAZY

Post Likes

3ton Raheem hp CRAZY

Just left a comp change out on a 3ron rheem heat pump scratching my head. After putting the new compressor in and pumping it down I started adding refrigerant. Then I turned it on and as I watched the gauges the head would never rise above 120psi and when I closed the suction side of the gauges to check the pressure it would never go above 5-10 psi. Comp got really hot So I turned it off and I'm calling a tech tomarrow. Anyone seen anything like this

Post Likes
    need more information. yea ive seen it before too. a slammed shut txv caused it...but like i said we need more information if you want us to diagnose it

Post Likes
    Calling a tech? Don't take this the wrong way but what are you then?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    need more information. yea ive seen it before too. a slammed shut txv caused it...but like i said we need more information if you want us to diagnose it
    How did you find out it was the txv

Post Likes
    Did you switch from cool to heat or heat to cool ,did you weight in the refrigerant .looks like you will find what killed the first compressor ( if it was bad )

Post Likes
    No answer, I guess he is a diyer.

Post Likes
    Charge is weighed in. I did switch it back and forth and opened up the indoor coil txv to look at the dist tubes. This does look like what burned the other comp up. I also made sure the valves flowed freely. So the only things left are the txv's or outdoor coil somewhere

Post Likes
    Many times ive come across this, come out, failed compressor, swapped compressor start-up immediately showed a restriction and i knew it was the txv. Changed it out for more money and moved on..

I now have apolicy to inform customer that there may be other issues that caused the compressor to fail but wont know until compressor is replaced and additional costs and diagnosis maybe involved. covers my butt now...

Post Likes
    I now have apolicy to inform customer that there may be other issues that caused the compressor to fail but wont know until compressor is replaced and additional costs and diagnosis maybe involved. covers my butt now...[/QUOTE]

That is the first words i say to the customer when i hand them the estimate to replace compressor.

Post Likes
    Just swapped the outdoor txv. Still doing it. Temp diff across the rev valve on the discharge line is 20 deg. It's 64 deg outside. Does that sound normal.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisevansac View Post
    Just swapped the outdoor txv. Still doing it. Temp diff across the rev valve on the discharge line is 20 deg. It's 64 deg outside. Does that sound normal.
    Open the LL SV

Post Likes
    Lol. I'm changing the indoor txv Monday. Discharge pressure is still 150. Temp off the comp is 145. Suction is 5 psi

Post Likes
    One txv is used in each mode the other is bypassed. Maybe save some time next go around
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    Yep. But it still did it when reversed

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisevansac View Post
    Lol. I'm changing the indoor txv Monday. Discharge pressure is still 150. Temp off the comp is 145. Suction is 5 psi
    Why are you changing the other tvx? Your on the wrong track. Your issue is common to both heating and cooling, the txv's are common to one or the other. Your going to add layers of problems to a relatively simple one. You need assistance in the field on this one. Good luck.

Post Likes
    Hmmm, does it both heating and cooling. Sounds like a liquid line restriction! Literally! I guess it could be full of water too or even some desiccant beads floating around.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in