Post Likes

Which way to go; FEC or UNT

I am going to be putting in controls at one of our schools, we have NAE's with UNT's on univents at 5 schools and FEC at 2 schools I was wondering would it be better to install UNT's or FEC? FEC need to have the latest version of CCT which means I would need to be buying upgrades every 6 months? Are UNT's going to be around for awhile longer?

Thanks,
    DDC6907

Post Likes
    JCI is stopping production of all N2 devices from that era of controllers. They apparently are replacing them with an FEC that will communicate on the N2.

Role the dice on this one. The UNT is proven and bullet proof. If one fails on a job then hopefully the replacement they come out with will work fine. You migth find them through other sources for a while yet though.

I do not know when it is happening but word has it that the VMA is already a dead duck. Supplier issues.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Froz'ninWpg View Post
    <snip>

I do not know when it is happening but word has it that the VMA is already a dead duck. Supplier issues.
    Good day Froz,

If the problem is indeed a supplier (component) issue, then I would say that there is more going on than we are led to believe. I find it hard to believe that a company would kill a product based solely on a component supply issue, as a company could always redesign the product to use another component(s). Now... whether redesigning the product is economical or not, or whether they still have the in-house expertise to do this (too much outsourcing perhaps?) are the other factors.

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    The N2 bus has been around forever and it is my understanding that they have been trying to kill it for years. I am not aware that the FEC/PCG comes in N2 I would love it.

Post Likes
    There has been rumor of a N2 FEC for over a year but nothing yet,and rumors of the VMA 1600 being configured for N2,again nothing yet.One thing to keep in mind if your facility upgrades to Windows 7 64bit,HVAC Pro won't work.It will with 32 bit. CCT will work either way,and once you learn how to do programming with CCT the skys the limit.FECs can run anything from a unit ventilator to a Chiller/Boiler plant,and cheaper than UNT's

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger454 View Post
    <snip>One thing to keep in mind if your facility upgrades to Windows 7 64bit,HVAC Pro won't work.It will with 32 bit. <snip>
    Good day Dodger,

Just an FYI, but you can use HVACPro with Windows 7 64 bit, but not natively... you use it in Windows 7 XP Mode which is a virtual XP machine. XP Mode is only available (and is free) in Win 7 Professional and Ultimate.

As for how it works... We have a lot of customers using HVACPro Under XP mode with our product for some time now (over a year already!) with minimal issues.

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin stone View Post
    The N2 bus has been around forever and it is my understanding that they have been trying to kill it for years. I am not aware that the FEC/PCG comes in N2 I would love it.
    Good day Kevin,

Indeed, JCI has been trying and wishing for N2's demise for some time...I have heard through the rumor mill that the FECs will be supporting N2, but who knows how true/accurate this is. As for the PCG... I have heard nothing about the possibility of N2 support.

On a secondary note the fact is that if JCI wanted to support N2 in any of their MS/TP products they could, as N2 and MS/TP use the exact same electrical bus (RS485 / EIA485)... It is only the communication protocol that is different and in fact N2 has a lower memory footprint that MS/TP and so there are no technical reasons they can give for not supporting N2. Strategic or economic reasons are another matter...

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DDC6907 View Post
    I am going to be putting in controls at one of our schools, we have NAE's with UNT's on univents at 5 schools and FEC at 2 schools I was wondering would it be better to install UNT's or FEC? FEC need to have the latest version of CCT which means I would need to be buying upgrades every 6 months? Are UNT's going to be around for awhile longer?

Thanks,
    DDC6907

You will not have to get a new copy of software every six months. If you purchased a FEC six months down the line they have the ability to be reflashed to your revision.
    UA Local 141

Post Likes

FEC Can't Just Flash Always

I had CCT at 4.1 and couldn't use it on a new 5.0 FEC I had to upgrade CCT to 5.0 because the controller was not made anymore and there was no option when you go into CCT unless you upgraded. So what keeps JCI from doing this every year?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DDC6907 View Post
    I had CCT at 4.1 and couldn't use it on a new 5.0 FEC I had to upgrade CCT to 5.0 because the controller was not made anymore and there was no option when you go into CCT unless you upgraded. So what keeps JCI from doing this every year?

The OP will be getting new hardware, the issue with 4.1 cct and the new hardware was two years ago. The FEC hardware at 5.0 could not be flashed backwards because of the change in microprocessors.
    UA Local 141